Loyalty Bonus

REDAF

Chieftain
When playing with a Civ that gets a free Loyalty Bonus, do I still need a Barracks to produce Veteran defensive units?

Or does having the automatic bonus promote the unit above Veteran negating the need for one?

You don't get the "Veteran" bonus, just the "Loyalty Bonus". Let's assume it's an archer because that's an easy number to remember: If you're Japan and you get loyalty:

WITHOUT BARRACKS
Base defense: 2
+50% bonus for loyalty: +1
TOTAL: 3

WITH BARRACKS

Base defense: 2
+50% bonus for loyalty: 1
+50% bonus for veteran: 1
TOTAL: 4

Odd. I was just playing a game as Russia, (who have the same bonus as Japan) but failed to see the difference. I made one archer without a barracks and made a second archer in a different city that had a barracks. Upon completion, they both had an attack of 1 and defence of 2.

Unless they only show the base values of a selected unit until you are in a fight...

Have to do more research unless someone can confirm...

Odd. I was just playing a game as Russia, (who have the same bonus as Japan) but failed to see the difference. I made one archer without a barracks and made a second archer in a different city that had a barracks. Upon completion, they both had an attack of 1 and defence of 2.

Unless they only show the base values of a selected unit until you are in a fight...

Have to do more research unless someone can confirm...

Simply, the unit gets ONLY loyalty (+50% defence). If you want that to be veteran, build barracks then the archer. The upgrades works only in battles

This is the case. Hovering over a unit will only show base values; the attack window will show the bonuses applied to the current battle.

Top Bottom