The most impressive Wonder of the World

daft

The fargone
First question: Which World Wonder(monument), including ancient as well as modern ones impresses you the most?
Secondly, if you somehow had a chance to visit/see in person one of these great monuments, which one would it be?

This is possibly the only good list or subjective thread you have started so far.

The Grand Canal of China. As far as to visit, the Hermitage.

The International space station, given how challenging it has been to put together, how many nations had to put their heads together to do it, and how awesome it would be to visit.

Out of the wonders I've already visited though, Machu Picchu. Everyone should visit that place at least once. I am definitely returning at some point.

;)

Or some gothic cathedrals. I probably am one of the few people that actually like the monstrous cathedral of Albi:

These aren't impressive feats of humanity. The Panama Canal or the Dykes in the Netherlands are far more impressive than some rather unattractive buildings.

I think some of the Alcan oil pipelines impress me the most. They're not just accomplishing functional 1000+ mile pipelines, but doing it in such remote locations and in such adverse conditions.

The Manhattan Project - what they achieved, with the technology available, and the resources that were needed to do it, was just staggering.

Followed by the Apollo program.

How are mediocre buildings the most impressive wonders of the world? Do you people even know the definition of wonder?

The pyramids. Started around 2,900 BCE and still standing today.

A Rus Invader living in that city while a greek dreaming to see it. What an irony. Btw, you forgot Minaretes :mischief:

The minarets were added after the Turkish conquest; they were not part of the Hagia Sophia church, obviously.

The pyramids. Started around 2,900 BCE and still standing today.

The minarets were added after the Turkish conquest; they were not part of the Hagia Sophia church, obviously.

Truer words might have never (but probably were) been spoken(eh, written).

The International Space Station? Wow! Wish I could see it up close (especially since I'm a Star Trek fan).

What about the Wall of China? Not spectacular enough? Is it true it can be seen from the orbit?
Personally, I'd love to be able to see some of the ancient wonders of the world, like the Hanging Gardens, the Temple of Artemis or the Statue of Zeus.
Ps. Kyriakos: I share your feelings towards the Hagia Sophia.

Top Bottom