Policy Discussion: Liberty

I think lowering building main or road gold is a fine concept for liberty. One way or the other we should give it some gold bonuses to keep it competitive.

As for the opener, the 1 culture per city is fine from a culture standpoint. It has te same steadiness of tradition, starts out slower but becomes stronger a later on.

I do think it needs some kind of rider though to make it competitive. +1 hammer per building is actually very powerful that early but not so much I couldn't see it. The escalating building % i wouldn't mid either

I like wodhann war peace concept, I would like to hear how feasible it is to do.

One idea would be a free worker, and workers cost no maintenance.

A free pop in a new city to me would on with our current honor policy. Honor is currently about expansion, liberty fills up what you have laid down

One thing to remember, all of our starter trees has to provide certain things to be competitive with each other. These thugs are too critical to gIve up at the beginning of the game.

Starting culture
Some happiness
Gold
Some prod (hammers through free thugs or prod bonuses)
Science? (More indirect but also a strong yield)

A free pop in a new city to me would on with our current honor policy. Honor is currently about expansion, liberty fills up what you have laid down
Honor is about taking cities, not founding cities.

One thing to remember, all of our starter trees has to provide certain things to be competitive with each other. These thugs are too critical to gIve up at the beginning of the game.

Starting culture
Some happiness
Gold
Some prod (hammers through free thugs or prod bonuses)
Science? (More indirect but also a strong yield)

I honestly don't agree that all startertrees need the same bonuses. In fact I think liberty's productionbonus and %productionbonus would somewhat make up for flat bonuses given to tradition because you're able to get your libraries and your markets way faster.
Ofc not saying liberty is fine with just that, I'm just saying you could focus it on other things. Going to try and keep this going by adding one of these:

LIBERTY 1.0

Opener: +1culture in every city, 3%production when building buildings in all cities for every policy taken in liberty (Not counting this one)(maxing out at 15% this is really powerful, and that is going to show in the rest of the tree)

1) +1 Production & food in every city.

2) Gain a worker, +25% terrain improvement // 50% terrain improvement &no worker (I still prefer the second effect but I'll bow to the majority.

3) Free Settler +1 pop in each city founded//25% faster setlers in call cities +1 pop in each city founded

4) 50% less maintenance on roads and cities connected generate no unhappiness for number of cities (From what I've gathered this seem to be about 1.5/city feel free to correct me)

5) Honestly no clue what to do here, could write something random like 20% less maintenance on buildings, but I'd rather leave it empty

Finisher: Free Great Person of your choice, ability to buy Great Engineers with faith.

I want to remind you guys is, at this stage all I'm concerned about are concepts. If something is imbalanced or "boring", that can be changed. All I'm bringing right now is a general idea. Suggestions to improve it are welcome. My initial versions are never meant to be "perfect" - so instead of saying "I don't like it, NEXT", it would be more constructive to iterate on it.

That being said, let's try again:

"Wisdom" v0.2

Opener: Each worked improved tile gives +1 :c5culture:.

Citizenship: Free worker. +25% terrain improvement.

Civility: Construct buildings 10% faster. -25% maintenance on buildings and roads. Requires Citizenship.

Apprenticeship: Can build Smithies (Cost 40, +2 :c5production:, Engineer slot). Requires Civility. (Reduced production cost. Any less and it's practically free now, and free would be just too good.)

Liberty: +1 :c5happy: from every 5 :c5citizen: during peace. -1 :c5unhappy: from every city in your empire during war. (I am honoring the replaced name here, because I like it.)

Heritage: Great Tile Improvements produce +15% from their base yield and all of them except Citadels generate Great Person Points towards the respective Great Person.

Finisher: The next World Wonder you build is built immediately. Can build Great Engineers with faith in Industrial Era.​

Opener is still too strong. That's not as potentially overpowering as +1 culture per building, but it's still way too much culture. What's wrong with +1 per city with some other effect matched up to it that it needs a super powerful culture bonus of this type instead? Or limiting the bonus culture to particular improvements, buildings, or wonders (or national wonders)? Basically, I am not sure I follow that this needs to be a super-charged culture tree, or that I understand what it is that you are trying to achieve with these kinds of bonuses that I could offer a replacement alternative. I had thought it was something like Tirian's "encourage development" suggestion, but it seems to be about getting +20-30 culture to every city instead. Which is so horribly imbalanced that I don't get the point behind it.

I'm not really sure the cost is the obstacle for the smith concept. What it is effectively replacing is +1 per city (for free). I don't mind the idea of unique policy buildings, but the effect it is replacing is simpler without needing the complexity of an added step. Piety it makes the most sense because it offers the prospect of spending faith on a building. If we want to add an engineer slot to liberty, that can be done as well, though my preference is to leave that in tradition on the capital.

The war/peace match up is a good one. Might need to tweak the numbers for balance, but conceptually it works now. (War and Peace would also have a more natural impact upon happiness than on culture and science, so it is thematically better)

GI improvements could just get a raw flat bonus. +15% of 4 is rounding to +1. They might get +2 later on at that ratio, but it would take a while. Citadels could still provide GG points, but perhaps leave that in honor. I'm not opposed to this idea, it could work (I'm not sure how the GPP points go on a tile, but it should be possible to make work). It isn't a great synergy, but that's not the same as saying it would be useless. It would actually be pretty solid.

How would next WW built immediately work? Isn't this basically like getting a free engineer?

I would rather keep the building upkeep in order. There's a lot of later tree borrowing going on and it typically comes from the better effects. We should be cautious about stealing too many of those as it means we need to replace them instead of keep them as a core around which the later tree can operate.

Opener is still too strong. That's not as potentially overpowering as +1 culture per building, but it's still way too much culture. What's wrong with +1 per city with some other effect matched up to it that it needs a super powerful culture bonus of this type instead?
I want "wisdom" to be WvT neutral (tradition is tall, conquest is wide, wisdom is neutral). +1 per city just encourages big empires.

I'm not really sure the cost is the obstacle for the smith concept. What it is effectively replacing is +1 per city (for free). I don't mind the idea of unique policy buildings, but the effect it is replacing is simpler without needing the complexity of an added step. If we want to add an engineer slot to liberty, that can be done as well, though my preference is to leave that in tradition on the capital.
My idea here is, you give cities production without having bias for a kind of strategy over another. A player with a compact empire will easily build a smithy in every city while an expansionist player will have to spend more time doing so (and reap more rewards).

GI improvements could just get a raw flat bonus. +15% of 4 is rounding to +1. They might get +2 later on at that ratio, but it would take a while.
Yeah, I see your point.

but it isn't a great synergy.
With what? It's a nice bonus that fits with the management theme I think (encouraging players to use great people to build instead of special abilities)

How would next WW built immediately work? Isn't this basically like getting a free engineer?
Not exactly, the wonder is built immediately, it isn't a production bomb. Also a great engineer would give you the option of building a manufactory.

Looking at Funak's post.

Agreed, free pop doesn't make sense in honor either. I would not just do +1 population if it was a later pick (+2 or +5, depending on the tree)

Opener looks fine then.
Worker looks fine as default
+1 production is fine. I'm not a big fan of adding + food early except where the tree is more explicitly growth centered (tradition), or narrowly targeting the capital. This might be a good spot for a gold advantage paired with it (even +1 gold on city might be fine since they don't start with any)

+1 happy per city connection is basically the same as reducing the per city unhappiness for the same city connect effect then, and positive happiness has the effect of accumulating toward golden ages while removing the penalties does not automatically do so. It should be fine to just use that without any change. -1.5 unhappy per city is a lot for one policy effect early on anyway. If that's the design, then a -25% cost to roads would be fine with it as a good synergy for connecting and building roads. -50% may be fine, but I'd rather keep some room to add a positive gold advantage to the tree rather than just reduce costs.

I think we are fine leaving the free settler in honor combined with other effects and a rate boost here with no free settler. Combined with +1 pop may be okay.

The last policy pick, some of these options
CEP's gold lump sum era adjusted
A science bonus/effect (+1 on library, +1 on city)
War/Peace bonus (but not the one Wodhann outlined, originally, the .2 version is pretty solid).
Free upkeep on workers?

I think getting a free GP of choice is sufficient that there's no need for a faith buying option. Piety is in the same boat with a free prophet.

Okay so if the goal is to reduce the tall-wide variance for production and culture, I would stay away from +1 culture to "all" things, and focus it a little more on a particular variety of thing or tier. Things like +1-2 culture on GI tiles or +1 culture on cultural buildings. Adding culture to "all" things reduces the value of existing sources when what it should do is encourage development of existing sources (for example, if you have culture from tiles, you now no longer need to invest in culture buildings).

In that vein, the idea of +1 production on production buildings would also fit that mold instead of the smith. The main issue is the competition over the engineer slot at that point between liberty and tradition. I think it's fine in tradition as is.

I'm not sure I have used the engineer on the manufactory that I can think of, possibly that's a flaw in my strategy, or possibly the free wonder is just what it is good for in most cases. So the next question is how an instant construction of a wonder, just one of them, and one time is handled (and whether it checks whether you are building one already or waits for the next one, etc).

If we want nuLiberty to become more WvT agnostic, I think we really need to move away from city- and tile bonuses and towards empire-level bonuses.

Without spending much time on the numbers and just trying to explain what I mean, what about this:

"Wisdom" v0.2a

• Opener: +1 culture, plus +1 culture per 5 positive happiness. (now entire decoupled from city sizes etc., rewards you for "wise" empire building, I think this could really be something worthwhile, even if the other ideas here are less interesting - it's WvT agnostic and interactive!)
  • Citizenship: Free worker, +25% terrain improvement. (good as is, already global level)
  • Public Works: +10% building construction, -25% maintenance on buildings, roads. (good as is, already global level)
  • Republic: 25% discount on rush buying buildings and civilian units and tile buying. (I like the special building, but I think Piety is a better home of it, this is just a smattering of general discounts, too boring, though...).
  • Representation: +1 happiness from every 5 citizens during peace. (no need for a war penalty, losing the bonus already is a penalty)
  • Meritocracy: +1 yield from GP improvements, +10% GP generation, requires Representation. (as mystikx21 mentioned, more straightfoward).
  • Finisher: Free Great Engineer, Great Merchant or Great Scientist (I like the flexibility, but let's cut it down to the base yield-related ones! If you want artists or prophets, invest into these trees!).

Hmm, empire-specific bonuses are definitely... less interesting by nature, since they have to be more abstract. Hrm.

EDIT: FYI, I'm somewhat tired right now, so please excuse any brainfarts...

Apprenticeship: Can build Smithies (Cost 40, +2 :c5production:, Engineer slot). Requires Civility. (Reduced production cost. Any less and it's practically free now, and free would be just too good.)

Where's the added benefit of this bonus being on a building? Extra maintenance, delayed time, need to invest for reward? Just that it can be better? But then it's not that much better than the other production buildings around (does one get removed?). I'm just not seeing the specialness in this proposal.

Liberty: +1 :c5happy: from every 5 :c5citizen: during peace. -1 :c5unhappy: from every city in your empire during war. (I am honoring the replaced name here, because I like it.)

So, potentially (I haven't done the numbers) a (AI) civ could be happy, then delare war, fall into unhappiness, receive a combat penalty and lose the war?

Where is the benefit in this complex set-up compared to a simple :c5happy: boost? What do we get with the peace/war trigger? I'm all for it, but it needs a gameplay reason, not just "being cool".

And I'd rather wait with the complex mechanisms for later trees where you can more easily steer your strategy than in the early game.

My idea here is, you give cities production without having bias for a kind of strategy over another. A player with a compact empire will easily build a smithy in every city while an expansionist player will have to spend more time doing so (and reap more rewards).

Ah, I did overlook that quote on the smithy. That's a good point, it just increases micromanagement so it's not my favourite, but it's a compelling reason for putting the effect on a building. (It might not convince me that we need such a policy)

Not exactly, the wonder is built immediately, it isn't a production bomb. Also a great engineer would give you the option of building a manufactory.

So? More choices for the players are fine (as long as they don't impede on other strategies such as a Free prophet from a finisher might...). Why chose the complex-to-code ("next wonder that has a turn of production put into them finishes the next turn" sounds way harder to explain, open to bugs and less intuitive than "Free Great Person/Engineer"). The only thing it does differently is not allowing the player to have a manufactory (and I guess building that wonder in that freshly built city across the barbarian infested water which the engineer could not travel quick enough, but that's minor). I'd chose the easy way.

Ehm, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Tradition gets a headstart due to more direct culture (and then from wonders and more science as the culture buildings are in that part of the tech tree). So if Liberty is supposed to be about rapid expansion, the policy rate may be too slow for instant expansion focused rewards. A minor note I have to concede.

1 culture+1production is almost as good as 3 culture, and that's just with 1 city. Founding one more city would make liberty's bonus way better. I'm afraid unless we bump up the other openers, having anything more than 1 culture in this one is way too good.

It takes time to catch-up for the 1 culture per city with the 3 in capital. How many turns till the 3rd city is founded? You'd probably need the fourth to catch-up with tradition (due to the #ofcities modifier) and the tradition capital by now may have a culture % bonus as well (national epic). I'd really like to see the curves between the two.

Now I don't deny that there will be a moment in time when liberty will overtake Tradition. But aren't these trees supposed to be the starter trees? Why should I chose a policy that'll only reward me after turn x if not it being the opener. I feel the opener should be something that gets noticed quite instantly. Proposals so far have been culture:

on (certain type of) buildings (rewards focusing on infrastructure, but units? late game balance?)
for number of tiles city encompasses (<- probably also not 'instantly')
each time a city grows (difficult to balance towards late game)
combine it with production (one notices the decrease in build time for that scout, but it may be too "ICS"y)

We could also put the border growth here. After all, new cities on the border do profit from that. It might be a nice, clean, easy way to balance the openers out.

EDIT: Quick comments:

If we want nuLiberty to become more WvT agnostic, I think we really need to move away from city- and tile bonuses and towards empire-level bonuses.

Without spending much time on the numbers and just trying to explain what I mean, what about this:

"Wisdom" v0.2a

• Opener: +1 culture, plus +1 culture per 5 positive happiness. (now entire decoupled from city sizes etc., rewards you for "wise" empire building, I think this could really be something worthwhile, even if the other ideas here are less interesting - it's WvT agnostic and interactive!)MAybe, but you take a policy out of Aesthetics, see discussion above, but fine I guess
  • Citizenship: Free worker, +25% terrain improvement. (good as is, already global level) good
  • Public Works: +10% building construction, -25% maintenance on buildings, roads. (good as is, already global level) good
  • Republic: 25% discount on rush buying buildings and civilian units and tile buying. (I like the special building, but I think Piety is a better home of it, this is just a smattering of general discounts, too boring, though...). You take a policy out of commerce, but complicate it. How often can one rush buy in the starting eras however? And if you do, one can certainly not use it for all of the above options. This seems to me to be more of a 'mid game' bonus
  • Representation: +1 happiness from every 5 citizens during peace. (no need for a war penalty, losing the bonus already is a penalty) But why does it need to have a penalty? Is it that strong?
  • Meritocracy: +1 yield from GP improvements, +10% GP generation, requires Representation. (as mystikx21 mentioned, more straightfoward).Seems like a mid-game bonus to me, when do you get the first Great Person?
  • Finisher: Free Great Engineer, Great Merchant or Great Scientist (I like the flexibility, but let's cut it down to the base yield-related ones! If you want artists or prophets, invest into these trees!). agreed

Hmm, empire-specific bonuses are definitely... less interesting by nature, since they have to be more abstract. Hrm.

So while the tree seems interesting, it to me looks more what a 'medieval' era commerce tree should be, i.e. helping you all around building your empire but still somehow requiring some basic infrastructure build up. The decreases maintenance for example means you need to have upkeep costs from buildings at 4 (= 4 early buildings) to get 1 gold back. Tradition on the other hand atm has a policy that gives 1 gold per pop (or was it 2?). Seems like a policy that takes some time to get over the threshhold. There don't seem to be many "kickstarter" policies in it as well (apart from the worker one). This tree in my mind would need a bit of both.

Looking at Funak's post.

Opener looks fine then.
Worker looks fine as default
Atleast we agree on something I guess.

+1 production is fine. I'm not a big fan of adding + food early except where the tree is more explicitly growth centered (tradition), or narrowly targeting the capital. This might be a good spot for a gold advantage paired with it (even +1 gold on city might be fine since they don't start with any)
Might be fine, but I personally see no problem with my current policy.

+1 happy per city connection is basically the same as reducing the per city unhappiness for the same city connect effect then, and positive happiness has the effect of accumulating toward golden ages while removing the penalties does not automatically do so. It should be fine to just use that without any change. -1.5 unhappy per city is a lot for one policy effect early on anyway. If that's the design, then a -25% cost to roads would be fine with it as a good synergy for connecting and building roads. -50% may be fine, but I'd rather keep some room to add a positive gold advantage to the tree rather than just reduce costs.
Just going to point out that the old policy gave more than 1.5 happiness per city. Also I like costreductions, going to make poverty a bigger problem aswell, which is fine.

I think we are fine leaving the free settler in honor combined with other effects and a rate boost here with no free settler. Combined with +1 pop may be okay.
I'm fine with that.

The last policy pick, some of these options
CEP's gold lump sum era adjusted
A science bonus/effect (+1 on library, +1 on city)
War/Peace bonus (but not the one Wodhann outlined, originally, the .2 version is pretty solid).
Free upkeep on workers?
I realy dislike lump sums, of any kind really. And I'm not sure I want to place any more gold in this tree. Liberty in my mind shouldn't have abundant gold, they should be somewhat reliant on traderoutes to keep up with buildingmaintenance. Science bonus could be fine I guess.

I think getting a free GP of choice is sufficient that there's no need for a faith buying option. Piety is in the same boat with a free prophet.
I have no idea how involved you were with peoples complains about the basegame, but one of the most common ones was about people going liberty having nothing to spend their faith on in industrial era.

Okay so if the goal is to reduce the tall-wide variance for production and culture, I would stay away from +1 culture to "all" things, and focus it a little more on a particular variety of thing or tier. Things like +1-2 culture on GI tiles or +1 culture on cultural buildings. Adding culture to "all" things reduces the value of existing sources when what it should do is encourage development of existing sources (for example, if you have culture from tiles, you now no longer need to invest in culture buildings).
I think one of the problems here is that I still think liberty should mean wide, while I'm not sure what you 2 think. (and please don't tell me Honor is for wide, because 80% of the tree is useless for peaceful expansion)

Opener: Each worked improved tile gives +1 :c5culture:

Wow... and people complained about me wanting to add 1 culture on specialists in the capital. Here we have basically 1 culture per pop in every city....

Guys.

It's MINUS unhappiness during war.

Yes, I saw that. (that's why we should only use happiness as a term, less confusion. But of course this doesn't apply with the new happiness system as you really just do subtract one unhappiness)

Still, you have a pop 10 city which generates 2 happiness, you switch to war, now suddenly the city only has -1 unhappiness. That's one less, no? Extrapolate to the late game and this could get ugly, no? And even more, if the city in question does have 20 pop (+ 4 happy), but no unhappiness (0 unhappy gets subtracted). Seems the calculation gets worse, no?

Please correct me on the math, I'm not as sure on the new happiness system yet ;)

I want "wisdom" to be WvT neutral (tradition is tall, conquest is wide, wisdom is neutral). +1 per city just encourages big empires.
See, this is the problem. Liberty is supposed to be peaceful wide, not WvT neutral. Piety can be WvT neutral for all I care, but there needs to be a peaceful wide tree.

Just have to point out that this is a Workshop for the price of a monument, everyone is going to build it everywhere.

I honestly don't agree that all startertrees need the same bonuses. In fact I think liberty's productionbonus and %productionbonus would somewhat make up for flat bonuses given to tradition because you're able to get your libraries and your markets way faster.

I disagree with your first statement, but your followup argument is solid.

Fundamentally the goal of Civ is to acquire yields. Yields ultimately get you stuff...but the person who has more yields gets more stuff.

If one tree provides bonuses to the fundamental yields (hammers, food, gold) etc...a tree without those yields will be massively behind.

This is what happens in vanilla, and why honor and piety can't keep up with tradition and liberty. Those steady passive yields just keep on adding up.

Now to your second argument, you may be right. Since buildings are faster...they may be the vehicle by which Liberty gets its "yield bonus". Perfectly viable way to go about it if the numbers balance out...that is something we would have to watch for in playtesting.

I have no idea how involved you were with peoples complains about the basegame, but one of the most common ones was about people going liberty having nothing to spend their faith on in industrial era.

Maybe some buildings can be bought with faith? Workers perhaps?

I agree with this concept, and I think teh free building model is a way to introduce some fun game play (through building) that requires some time to develop and come about instead of an instant bonus.

Now that said, I don't know if the +2 prod, free engineer slot building is the way to do that, that building seems pretty strong...but I like this concept in policy use.

See, this is the problem. Liberty is supposed to be peaceful wide, not WvT neutral. Piety can be WvT neutral for all I care, but there needs to be a peaceful wide tree.
What is "peaceful wide"? Really?

Usually it goes two ways: either you conquer your way into a huge empire, or you you're forced into war by people who're unhappy with your wanton settling, and have to secure your position. Someone who's able to maintain a "peaceful wide" empire is playing with really passive bots (which in vanilla may be very possible considering they're terrible at assessing whether you're a menace to them or not), and never multiplayer ever.

That's why I wanted to merge liberty and honor. "Peaceful wide" is such a shallow concept that you can barely squeeze an entire social policy tree out of it.

PS: There's also the point that "peaceful wide" may be actually a damaging concept, since a wide empire that's peaceful and seeks peaceful victories is going to have an advantage over tall empires going for peaceful victories, since they have more cities and more resources.

A couple more thoughts:

1) I still like the Peace/War duality idea....but I would not want to see it in happiness. Its too swingy, I never want a time when a player could declare war on me and drop my happiness into negatives (its bad enough with the loss of trade routes)

2) I would like to focus on the Free Worker, +25% tile policy.

So far this one has the most general consensus as far as theme. Really the main debate is the power, is 25% or 50% better offering? Or would 35% work (I don't know if that would make an impact with the way turn rounding works).

3) Opener culture.

If we adjust the culture....we really don't need to adjust it by much. Liberty is only a bit behind Tradition in terms of base culture, and does overtake it at some point. So probably only a slight adjustment is needed for balance...if an adjustment is even needed at all.

How about +1 culture, +1 culture per city? Effectively Liberty would equal tradition after just 2 cities, and then surpass at 3.

Another idea: Monuments, Granaries, and Libraries cost no maintenance (the core buildings every city normally has).

never multiplayer ever
I'd rather have actual singleplayer balance than cater to your multiplayer-obsession to be perfectly honest.

That's why I wanted to merge liberty and honor. "Peaceful wide" is such a shallow concept that you can barely squeeze an entire social policy tree out of it.

PS: There's also the point that "peaceful wide" may be actually a damaging concept, since a wide empire that's peaceful and seeks peaceful victories is going to have an advantage over tall empires going for peaceful victories, since they have more cities and more resources.
There is a difference between settling a lot of cities while being ready to defend yourself should the need arise and actually planning to conquer your neighbors. There are PLENTY of ai focusing on peaceful wide and not actually giving them a policytree to work with is just silly. I mean why would anyone go for honor without the plans to actually attack someone?

Honestly if this was your idea of tree balance I would have focused all my energy to shot you down while you were debating for your honor-tree. I let that slide mostly because I think early game warfare is like shooting yourself in the foot diplomacyvise and therefore I had no experience nor interest in it.

Top Bottom