An odd occurence...

Grandraem

Alchemist
I just added light footmen to my mod, which are the upgrade of warriors. I added a basic light footman first for all civs, before making civ specific ones.

Whenever I test the game on debug mode (haven't tried it outside debug mode), my civ works properly, but every other civ can build 2 of their base warriors. On their build screen for their city it has two warriors that look identical, buildable one beneath the other. Kind of like this:
Settler
Worker
Scout
Warrior
Warrior
Barracks
Granary
Etc.

Any civ that I play has just one, like it should be, but every other civ has two. When I play as one of those civs that had two, they only have one like they should when I play as the civ.

I'm not sure if this is just a little error that appears in debug mode, or if it will go away, but right now in testing my mod this is occuring.

If anyone has any input on this I welcome it.:)

Does it affect gameplay? If not it's probably just a glitch in debug and I wouldn't worry about it...

Is it possible that having added the light footman for all civs and then doing civ specific ones means that each civ can build two; the gereric and the specific?

Any civ that I play has just one, like it should be, but every other civ has two. When I play as one of those civs that had two, they only have one like they should when I play as the civ...
If anyone has any input on this I welcome it.:)

I think these additional basic warriors are coming from the additional starting units for the AI in higher difficulty levels. This also explains why the AI is getting these units and not you. :)

I think Weasel Op is right about that, so this is actually still this one unit and that's why you can build only one.. but AI is so stupid that it needs the unit that has both offence and deffense strategies to be split into two units, so AI can choose which strategy it actually uses. Include bombing, scouting or something else, and you probbably see even more units for AI in debug mode.

I've noticed this effect when in debug mode too, I always wondered what caused it. I guess the way to be sure is to remove one of the AI flags from the unit in question and see how many times it comes up on the AI build queue then.

Thanks for all the info. I guess that it's probably nothing to worry about. I'll try removing the defence flag and see what happens though, just for curiosity.

Azmorg,
I mentioned that I just added the Light Footman just in case, but I don't think that it is causing the problem, because the warrior upgrades into the light footman at Bronze Working, and this is happening even before any civ reaches Bronze Working. Also, each civ only has one warrior buildable by them in the editor, it just appears as two identical warriors in their build list in the game.

I tested it, and it appears that Weasel Op is right.

I removed the defence flag from the dwarf warrior and they could build only 1. I also tried playing against a human civ and they could still build two warriors.

Thanks again everyone, for your help.:)

Does this mean the AI is not able to to switch one unit from defensive to offensive use, because it hasn't build it as such?
I believe not. The AI assigns one strategy, and one strategy only to each unit. This is why it is so frustrating trying to get the AI to use multi-purpose units.

Yes at times it is very frustrating however the AI will use the infantryman in the epic game for both attack and defense which it is flagged for both so I have to wonder.

Yes at times it is very frustrating however the AI will use the infantryman in the epic game for both attack and defense which it is flagged for both so I have to wonder.

Does it really use one infantryman for both or does it use infantry A for attack and infantry B for defence?

I agree that the AI chooses only one Unit for Attack and one for Defense when Building them...this provides direct coding to the AI for game play direction.
...That said, a unit that is built as an Attacking Unit does have a Defense, so certainly this so called Attacking Unit will defend IF attacked.

...The AI builds Units and controls their actions by their abilities, Attack, Defense, scouting, worker, etc... and these are separated for them so it is direct.
Because the AI cannot control others Attacking them, the AI will of course use any unit with a defense when needed in a city, even if that unit was built for the purpose of Attacking. In other words, the AI will use any Unit it has to Defend a city when attacked but this is due to the fact that the attacking unit happens to be in the City and has a Defense. when it comes to the AI attacking in the game, that will be with Attacking Units that were built for that purpose. Naturally we will see more Defensive units inside the Cities...all due to this coding that Tells the AI what to build and what to use in order to provide some characteristic of "intelligence" to them. If Not for that type of coding, we would see Workers attacking and Riflemen planting a garden, etc... :)

^ What he said. I think of the times I've had a slave ending up in enemy territory. The AI side has say Mech Inf in their cities, which could come out on railroads, take the slave, get back to it's city and fortify itself again. But it doesn't do that. It will take slaves if it has attack flagged units to use, but not with defence units. You can rest assured that the AI isn't going to make any attacks with defensive units.

The partial relief to this is the AI no patrol change to the .ini file, which seems to make the AI a little more interesting.

The AI definitely assigns one strategy per unit and keeps it that way. "Defensive" units often show up with attacking troops of the same type because the AI will often support Attackers with Defenders.

-Oz

The partial relief to this is the AI no patrol change to the .ini file, which seems to make the AI a little more interesting.

I seem to remember not getting this to work. What exactly is the line you're supposed to add?

Ok, thanks. :) I could never remember whether it was that or AINoPatrol.

Top Bottom