TerraNES2: No Change Necessary

I am well aware of the book. I don't see the problem...

תורה
תורא
תורע
טורה
טורא
טורע

It could be any of these in Hebrew spelling (which I am basing the language on) and only the first is the bible. I personally saw it more align to the second or the one before last.

Nation Name: Jary
Colour: Fire Engine Red (CE2029)
Location: opposite the river of ancient Cairo, on the western fork of the Nile

The city-state of Jary, strategically positioned at the fork in the Nile, a nexus of trade even during the times of chaos which had just leveled the great empire of Jasa, is an ancient authoritarian despotate - once or twice the seat of a now dead empire. Vicious struggles for rulership separate long decades of stability under the iron rule of the despot, whose leadership is invariably ended at the pointed half of a spearhead or after a poisoned meal. No recognizable dynastic line has controlled the city since the end of the last empire, when cities up the Nile were united as the single kingship of Jasa, and for now Jary jockeys priests, warriors and merchants for its ruling class.

I am well aware of the book. I don't see the problem...

תורה
תורא
תורע
טורה
טורא
טורע

It could be any of these in Hebrew spelling (which I am basing the language on) and only the first is the bible. I personally saw it more align to the second or the one before last.

I'd be interested in hearing what the others mean if truth be told, since I can't speak Hebrew, or read it for that matter.

The Beginnings of the Skiare
Spoiler :
The settlement of Skiathos was conceived during one of the most violent periods in the region’s history. A barbarian horde under the leadership of Denethon the Horrid had been rampaging throughout the Balkans for decades at the time. During the last of his multiple conquests, he came upon the area now known by the Skiathos people as the Skiare, or ‘hidden cove.’ He was so struck by its virgin beauty that he ordered the execution of all natives and the pillaging of their cultural relics, insisting that if there were to be a presence in this realm, he would establish it for himself.

As the years passed Denethon invested all of his fortunes from conquest into the Skiare, forging a tempting place for settlers. It was not long before Skiathos was carved from the rock of the valley. Seeking an ultimate rule over his peoples, Denethon established himself as supreme commander of Skiathos. Denethon, then nearing old age, began a slow conquest of the surrounding peoples and lands with the support of his army. With each new conquest, riches were hauled back to Skiathos by the cartload. Eventually his armies of destruction reached a point where they were spread far too thin to hold control over the land. In response to the weakening power of Denethon’s might and his old age, the Macedonks rose to combat the labored armies. Drawing back to defend the city, Denethon engaged the Macedonks in a last chance to stop the advancing mobs.

The Bravery of the Skiare, as it is known by the Skiathos scholars, is that last battle between Denethon and the Macedonks. Vastly outnumbered by the enemy but holding ground with veteran legions of the phalanx, Denethon was able barely able to hold back the tide of enemies. As a particularly strong wave breached upon the exhausted ranks of the infantry, several were slayed and caused a mass break among the men. Denethon, fighting along with his men in the thick of the turmoil, was slain by repeated Macedonk sword blows. His men, after witnessing the death of their long time Commander and comrade, were infuriated and fought to their last dying breaths. In the end, the Macedonks sacked Skiathos, but not without losing an extreme percentage of their own forces. After the beleaguered invaders finished their looting, they disbanded and retreated back to their northern territories in seek of peace.

Since these early years many centuries ago, Skiathos has recovered completely multiple times from wars and disasters and has earned respect from many of the unaffiliated peoples and even the Macedonks.

The Culture
Spoiler :
The Skiathos people came abruptly into the world as barbarians, therefore much of their ideological values are rough and brash at times, often going against traditional formalities. Several of these barbaric influences include the allowance of slavery, worshiping of the Gods of War, and mandatory military enrollment.

Structure & History of Government
Spoiler :
The main government of Skiathos is centered upon a large senatorial body that is tasked with maintaining the day-to-day aspects of lawmaking and action in the city. The senate, called the Feural, consists of 121 self-appointed members. To help keep the Feural in check and to direct the military of the city, a Commander is elected into office to maintain peace for the lifetime of the man.

Historically, this simple system of checks kept the government in balance and maintained the city. Several decades ago a Commander fell bedridden and became very weak. It was during this time that the Feural saw an opportunity to increase their power. In a slurry of legislative tricks and shams, they were able to slowly phase out the role of Commander and have dominated the Skiathos political landscape since.

@ All: Please don’t use accents over much. Some is ok. Overusing it causes hatred. Also, please specify your location as much as possible. Even the choice of east/west/north/south bank of the river may, can, and probably WILL become significant. Also, if you are all by yourself, you’d better contribute and make my effort to supply you and you alone with interesting events and NPC’s worthwhile. This is not only for my sake, but also for making your region more interesting and inticing for others to join you. Similarly, most of you have ideas which can be easily transplanted into a cradle. I won’t force you. Finally, just because an area is blank on the map doesn’t mean nothing is happening. Especially the cradles. Even if no one joins India until turn 17, and no one explores India, someone can join India then, start with a relative large and advanced empire based on backstory, and balanced by various neighboring foes. Final update 0 submissions due in 16 hours or so!

@ Ophorian
Looks nice. I'm going to remind you that Marseille is NOT on the Rhone. Looks nice otherwise.

@ m.t.cicero
After thought I've decided to let you play it as one, divisive entity. I'd like you to keep such in mind, or I'd be forced to split it into its component parts. There will be similar family-conglomerates nearby.

@ spaceman98
Looks nice. Dunno about the accents though. >.>

@ Tycho
Yeah. You need to be a bit more specific about your starting location.

@ Awesome
That’s nice. If you want to go Americas though, you can.

@ Immaculate
Very cool!

@ Pole475
Excellent choice! Now, for the Americas there will won’t be horses or anything, just like the Real Americas. However, corn and other crops were made viable at the same rate as on the Old World, and various advancements are allowed beyond Stone. Since you picked a “reasonable” spot that’s not in a traditional “cradle”, you’d be starting with secondary stats: similar if you picked something like Italy or Vietnam compared to the Levant or China.

@ Southern King
Yeah, Dakinsa Raj as it were is definitely not allowed. But variations on a theme are OK with me, as long as it doesn’t get Iggypunched. That said, Amaranth sounds alright, with a plus that your backstory fits Tycho’s. There’s the slight issue the manpower and techniques necessary to piledrive a city foundation isn’t there yet, but I’ll handwave some drier islands and we are good.

@ Lord Herobrine
Cool backstory bro. Your application and your backstory doesn’t really match up though (isolation vs conquest and capital), so you should take another look. Still, maybe the backstory is DISTANT backstory, in which case it is less plausible but also more mythic.

@ erez87
Torah sounds cool! I had a REALLY strong urge to make you use Torahite or something, but Torahns as a word just look so awesome. For the religious thing, meh? I don’t care if a country’s named Koran or Bible (Byblos?). It’s up to you.

@ Everblack
You are very very VERY far out. That said, make it interesting, have fun! :D

@ J.K. Stockhome
Jary is a fun name! I like how this Nile is less religious god-king focused. Very interesting.

@ Gem Hound
I need to know more. :p

Final Note
GENERALLY
Middle Eastern peoples will get the -itte/-id treatment.
Asian peoples will get the -guo/-ren treatment
Europeans will get -ic/-ian treatment

I don't care about similarities in names either...

Yeah religion is rudimentary for now, I'll develop it in time.

Torahns is just an English translation in a way... Hebrew wise should be Torahnim.

@ Lord Herobrine
Cool backstory bro. Your application and your backstory doesn’t really match up though (isolation vs conquest and capital), so you should take another look. Still, maybe the backstory is DISTANT backstory, in which case it is less plausible but also more mythic.

Thanks. I intended for the backstory to be that of the very first years of the city, which is why I mentioned that many centuries had passed since. Denethon did not conquer that large of an area, possibly only the extent of OTL Greece. I also wanted to give Denethon a bit of a mythic feeling. About the isolation, I included that because the Macedonks are not a cohesive state at present nor have been, and besides them there is little outside contact.

I narrowed my location down in my original post, sorry for the vagueness of it.

I'd be interested in hearing what the others mean if truth be told, since I can't speak Hebrew, or read it for that matter.
In modern Hebrew they all sound practically the same - Torah. In old Hebrew they had different sounds. Yemenite Jews kept for example the ע and ח sounds so the ones with them will sound a bit different than the others, more throaty sounds. But in modern Hebrew they all sound practically the same.

the first means bible (and teaching), the second means a bull in Aramaic (a Tor, like Taurus), the others are meaningless as far as I know.

Since it looks like nobody else has taken it, I can move to the Mesopotamian cradle, between OTL Baghdad and Nasiriyah

I don't care about similarities in names either...

Yeah religion is rudimentary for now, I'll develop it in time.

Torahns is just an English translation in a way... Hebrew wise should be Torahnim.

Why are you assuming they speak anything similar to Hebrew? Why did that language evolve the same way in a completely alternative history?

I took the time to update a map with all the claims so far.
Spoiler :

I got lazy at a point and just used circles.

Sorry to tell you but the Mesopotamia is not the Danube river... That's in central Europe. Echi-Akti is way off.

Did you even see the post from m.t.cicero? He said that he wanted to move to the Mesopotamia cradle. Instead of marking him at the mouth of the Danube, I marked him where he wanted to move to

Top Bottom