pre-TNESIII: The Once and Future Thread

I've been writing up all of the details for my house, is there still a place for me to join? I have almost everything finished, is it still possible for me to designate another house as a major retainer which occupies a lot of land but is still beholden to myself? And would I have to provide character details for that house or not?

Yes, yes, and yes. I look forward to reading your stuff, Taylor. A lot of unclaimed land is left, mostly in the east and west of the southern island, and in the northern kingdom as well.

Here's a preview map. It's missing lots of things, of course. Do you guys like the look of the holdings?

Spoiler :

Cicero's holdings are done, with the exception of if he wants unique castle designs. This map doesn't have Violla on it yet because I'm lazy, nor does it have Skelton because they haven't claimed land yet.

Expect changes and new TERRAIN types to arrive on the map at some point. For example, the area south of the lakes and north of cicero's coastal holdings will be home to a vast forest, the far east will be quite marshy, and so on. Also, Iggy's going to help redraw the mountains. Thanks, Iggy!

Also, Siegaesc, Raskakalle, and Hartwell will probably have changes to their territory. Raskakalle will get more, and possibly Hartwell as well.

I wouldn't mind having a discontinuous territory with a second half running up the remainder of the river to Nuke's turf.

House Kathar

Sigil / Words: A white ship on a blue background; We are the Wind

Lord: Jorik Kathar, M, 49

Heir: Tyr Kathar, M, 19

Family:

Spoiler :
Lord Jorik “Greatwind” Kathar III, M, 49
Jorik “Greatwind” is a large, imposing man with untamed auburn hair and a large bushy beard. He has been head of the family for over two decades, and quickly showed that he was up to the task. He has long campaigned against pirates in the waters near his home and all around the kingdom, and while he has always been successful, he has sustained many injuries, and has an intensely unattractive face. Regardless of this, he is loved by the people for being a just and kind ruler, and for always being attentive to his holdings and subjects. Jorik retains a love for adventure despite his years, and is fighting his aging body so that he can continue leading his fleet of longboats.
(+2) Hardy
(+1) Just
(+1) Skilled: Sailing
(+0) Proactive
(+0) Moral
(-2) Ugly

Lady Hilde Kathar, F, 39

Lady Hilde, wife of Jorik, is an intelligent and capable woman, and where her husband usually solves problems with aggressive action, she chooses to use her mind and influence the situation to her advantage. Despite being very unlike her husband, they love each other dearly, and she uses her vastly different skillset to help her husband govern, and serves as regent while he is away. She is fiercely protective of her children, but is easily set off when she is not in a good mood; arguments between her and her sons are common.
(+2) Clever
(+1) Diligent
(+0) Patient
(-1) Temperamental

Tyr Kathar, M, 19

Tyr is a strong-willed young man who sees the world around him as corrupt, dominating the many to support the few. He cares greatly about all people, and is well known amongst the people of his land as a staunch defender of their rights. He has little regard for any rule he sees as wrong, and often butts heads with his father’s men and other men of influence in the community when he disagrees with their actions. He is a trained warrior, is learning to sail under his father, and often debates with his brother about his views, and is impassioned if not articulate. He is often accompanied by his brother, Leif, who enjoys helping him cause trouble, though mostly to enjoy the chaos that usually ensues. Tyr looks to become a great leader of men, though whether he can peacefully coexist with his neighbours or the king is another question.
(+4) Heroic
(+1) Just
(+1) Skilled: Swordsmanship
(+0) Idealist
(+0) Proactive
(-2) Rebellious

Leif Kathar, M, 18

Leif lacks the ambition or dedication of his older brother, instead preferring to sleep with as many beautiful women as he can while helping his brother cause mischief. He is an incredibly capable person and is well aware of the fact, though he rarely uses his gifts for anything other than charming girls, which he has no difficulty doing. Leif thinks little of most people, other than his siblings, and happily speaks his mind, though he is surprisingly loyal to the people he loves.
(+2) Clever
(+2) Attractive
(+0) Cynic
(-1) Arrogant
(-1) Vain

Kari Kathar, F, 17

Kari is a small and caring young woman who sees good in all people and has an intense love for the world. She often accompanies her father on his longboat during trading voyages, and collects artistic supplies from all over the kingdom to use for her paintings, which have recently improved greatly in quality. She cares deeply for her family and friends, and is willing to do anything she has to for them.
(+2) Kind
(+1) Artistic
(+0) Moral

Frey Kathar, M, 3

A young boy, Frey shows an adventurous spirit, though is quick to act violently when he feels wronged.

Vaali Kathar, M, 35

The younger brother of Jorik, Vaali inherited little from their father. His older brother offered to make him a leader of his fleets, and asked for his help in administering some of his lands, and Vaali eagerly accepted. He proved to be a capable leader, especially when hunting down pirates, and seems to understand the world in a way many do not, occasionally sharing his insights with others. He usually has little to say, a trait that make many people see him as emotionless. The people close to him, however, are aware that much of this separation between himself and others stems from his inability to be openly gay, with his sexuality known by many but commented on by few. His exploits and demeanour have earned him much respect from those under his command, and his brother never shirks from honouring everything that Vaali has achieved.
(+2) Wise
(+2) Hardy
(+0) Idealist
(+0) Patient
(-1) Homosexual
(-1) Distant

Retainers:

Spoiler :
House Hybjorn: Lord Karl Hybjorn IV, M, 39
House Hybjorn is the second most powerful house on the island, occupying roughly a third of its landmass. They are seated in the imposing keep Saltspire on the island Hybrae. Their holdings include the sizeable town Tagarand, along with the smaller towns Vosterton and Baergarth. House Hybjorn descends from Karl Hybjorn, the head of a prominent trading family who was practically second in command of the Wind Greyling forces during their brief rebellion, and earnt a significant amount of land because of that. While they were initially close allies of House Kathar, their lesser position has caused many of their family to adopt a competitive view towards the Kathars, hoping to increase their relative power. They still maintain close marriage ties when possible, and are never disloyal, with Hybjorn men often serving in the Kathar fleet when required.

House Vyrfaeg: Lord Brandt Vyrfaeg, M, 25
House Vyrfaeg is a well-liked but small house, and are hereditary lieges of the fishing town of Oostjar. Renowned for producing some of the greatest boat captains on the island, they are loyal subjects of House Kathar and lords from both houses are often seen dining and drinking together until the early hours of the morning, telling old war tales. Their line is currently weakened, as Brandt Vyrfaeg inherited his father’s titles after his sudden death and has yet to marry, let alone produce an heir.

House Jolmir: Lord Tyr Jolmir, M, 32
A house with some power, House Jolmir inhabits the north-eastern part of the Isle of Kathar, possessing the town of Kolfaer and the keep of Jarlholde. The lands there are rugged, cold and unforgiving, and this has created hard men and women, a trait that shows in the Jolmir family. The Jolmir have earned fame and prestige for their hardiness and ferocity in battle, and a number of their line claim to have slain beasts from the deep that could swallow a man whole, claims that many on the island believe.

Allies/Rivals:

Spoiler :
House Jolmir and House Vyrfaeg are very close with House Kathar, having been their loyal retainers for around two hundred years. House Hybjorn, while loyal, is not as friendly towards the Kathar as the other houses of the island, as they are somewhat hungry for power.

The hunter-gatherer clans of the north coast, while mostly independent, are very friendly to House Kathar, the house that guarantees their autonomy and existence and provides them markets to trade their furs in in return for their service in the armies and fleets of the Isle of Kathar. This has worked well for both peoples so far.

While relations with the Ulk Greyling lords off of the isle have historically been cold at best, the past few decades have seen the two people warm towards eachother somewhat, with Wind People finding themselves far more welcome in the rest of the kingdom. However, there is significant resentment from sections of the isle towards Ulk Greylings, who they see as polluting Wind Greyling culture and taking their autonomy and independence.

Sources of Income:

Spoiler :
The economy of the Isle of Kathar is based around furs, fishing and lumber. The cold of the island produces beautiful pelts that are sold for high prices around the two kingdoms, while the trees of the island grow tall and strong to stay standing in the high winds the island is famous for, producing excellent wood for homes and especially shipbuilding, with Kathar logs being bought all over just for this purpose. House Kathar is a fairly large and wealthy house due to their lordship over an entire island and their extensive trading, but they are by no means the richest.

Holdings:

Spoiler :
Windmarke: The seat of the Kathar throne, Windmarke was built upon the ascension of the Kathar family to nobility, using the gold they had taken from killed Ulk nobles. It is an imposing keep, and is also a decent sized port, with many longboats stored and maintained there.

Redcliff: The keep belonging to the old House Yerron and the site of the first major battle of the Wind Greyling Rebellion, Redcliff is built on a cliff on the island of Toskar. It has been significantly refurbished since it was captured, to match the Wind Greyling style and to fix security holes.

Thorberg: A small city, major trading hub of the north and the most populous settlement on the Isle of Kathar, Thorberg is a beautiful coastal centre, but its growth is beginning to show as signs of poverty and squalor become more apparent. Regardless, most people here live good lives.

Oostjar: A small fishing town, home to master boat builders, sailors and fishermen and very little else. Held by House Vyrfaeg.

Kolfaer: A moderately sized town of tough, grizzled people, it is situated in a cold and unforgiving place. The people of Kolfaer have built a home there though, and have made it theirs, selling all the furs and fish they can find. Held by House Jolmir.

Jarlholde: A small keep near Kolfaer also held by House Jolmir.

Trystjol: A small town on the Vyr Peninsula that produces primarily lumber for trade.

Vyrfal: A keep on the end of the Vyr Peninsula. Its primary purpose is providing a base for longboats that patrol the waters between Kathar and the rest of the kingdom for any hostile vessels.

Faelbjorn: A small town on the island of Toskar. Primarily a fishing village, though recently young men from the town have begun hunting whales and other large sea creatures with limited success.

Vosterton: A very small town on the west coast of the island, it is fairly isolated. Held by House Hybjorn.

Baergarth: A small town devoted to fishing and lumber, though many great navigators have come out of here. Held by House Hybjorn.

Tagarand: A large town and the second largest settlement on the island, it was originally an Ulk Greyling settlement, and still retains much of the architecture from those times. Held by House Hybjorn.

Saltspire: A decently sized tower on the coast of the island of Hybrae, it is the well-fortified home of House Hybjorn.

Map of Holdings:

Spoiler :

History:

Spoiler :
House Kathar, two centuries ago, was merely a notable commoner family, plying the seas in their longboats to trade in far off markets, fish for food and to raid distant towns. They had no family name, and were part of a small subculture of Ulk Greylings that were renowned for their longboat-based seafaring ways, commonly referred to as Wind Greylings, or Wind People. Their people settled on the Isle of Kathar, and were for a time subjects of various Ulk lords. While this was not always peaceful or ideal, for the most part it worked. A century ago, this peace was shattered when the new head of the family that ruled over all of them, Lord Kyr of House Yerron, proved to be a tyrannical liege almost immediately upon ascension to power. He demanded higher taxes from his retainers and the commoners of his lands, suppressed the Wind Greyling culture and imprisoned all those who opposed him.

Frey was a well-known man in his city of Thorberg after leading numerous trade missions and raids, and having amassed a decent number of boats and wealth for himself and his crew. His wife Tyra was a spirited young woman from a strongly Wind Greyling background, coming from the more isolated town of Oostjar. When the lords’ men arrived to end a local festival on the grounds that such events were now banned without their lieges sanction, she quickly began screaming at them and attempting to attack them. While she did no real physical harm, she was arrested for assaulting the soldiers of her lord, and by extension her lord himself. She was taken to the castle of Redcliffe where she was hung.

Upon learning of this, Frey flew into a rage. He called together his crews, and began plotting revenge. Others, sick of the authoritative lord, heard of his plan and came to offer their services to him in return for a chance to bring down the Ulk tyrant. Soon he had a sizeable force of ships and men, and after storming the Thorberg city barracks and killing all of the soldiers there, his host was well armed and blooded. They sailed towards Redcliff, a large, imposing keep built by the sea on the rockiest part of its small island, and under the cover of night they silently rowed around to the sea-facing side of the keep and snuck into its poorly maintained sewers. They creeped through the piping until they made it inside the keep, at which point his men slaughtered all of the Ulk soldiers stationed there, and beheaded Lord Yerron.

As they had committed treason by executing a noble, they quickly became aware of how precarious their situation was. Luckily, they were master sailors and were used to fighting on the seas in a way that most Greylings were not, so Frey decided that all other Ulk forces on the Isle would be destroyed, and then the Wind Greylings would be in control of their island and able to defend it from the King and strike back with impunity. Within weeks, all other Ulk lords on the island had been slain or exiled, and a Wind Greyling power structure was developing. An envoy from the King arrived shortly after, offering the elevation of major Wind families to noble office in return for the cessation of hostilities. Frey accepted, and became the liegelord of the entire Isle of Kathar, taking his family name from the isle itself.

In the decades following, House Kathar has provided some just and noble lords, and has won the respect of much of its people, though there is unrest on the isle due to the continued encroachment of mainstream Ulk culture and people.

I still have to provide character details for House Hybjorn, Vyrfaeg and Jolmir and will do so soon, but I've run out of time for today so I thought I'd just throw up what I have so you can turn my terrible map into a beautiful one. I'll also work on writing up a brief summary of the cultural differences of the Wind Greylings from normal Ulk Greylings once I know what the normal Ulk culture is, and I'll provide a map of the island with all geographical features named once the map is completed.

Nuke and I agree that my borders are awful.

Saxan: 56
Spoiler :
Dignified (+3)
Pious (0)
Sickly (-3)

Enna: 39
Spoiler :
Cynic (+0)
Vain (-1)
Temperamental (-1)

Ionis: 33
Spoiler :
Master (Joust) (+3)
Hardy (+2)
Tempermental (-1)
Cruel (-2)

Grace: 23
Spoiler :
Kind (+2)
Diligent (+1)
Friendly (+1)
Pious (0)

Alina: 4
Spoiler :
Child

Alem: 30
Spoiler :
Skilled (Hunter) (+1)
Amoral (+0)
Obsessive (hunting)(-2)
Lazy (-2)

Kylie: 21
Spoiler :
Clever (+2)
Artistic (+1)
Amoral (+0)
Cynic (+0)
Depraved (-1)
Rebellious (-2)
Addicted (-3)

Thierry: 2
Spoiler :
Child

Bern: 21
Spoiler :
Master (Seduction)(+3)
Persuasive (+2)
Clever (+2)
Skilled (Duelist) (+1)
Musical (+1)
Lucky (+1)
Diligent (+1)
Friendly (+1)
Pious (+0)
Moral (+0)
Patient (+0)
Bisexual
Depraved (-1)
Vain (-1)
Ugly (-2)

Wonderfully impressive as always, Strat. Go ahead and claim some land and begin working on the template.

Very nice work, Taylor. You're on the roster. I might reduce the number of holdings on the island slightly, but I like that you've given me a lot to work with.

Nuke and I agree that my borders are awful.

You're right, they are. I'll be fixing them later this afternoon.

Maybe just put me on the peninsula/headland to the northeast?

I'll cut your southernmost land and extend your other land in that direction.

I'm bumping up against my player limits soon, with 14 declared players and at least 2 others (ork and bombshoo) waiting in the wings to create houses.

As such, I'll probably accept 1 or 2 more outside applications (not counting those guys) before I close the NES to new submissions of major houses. Other options (like playing a town, a small retainer in another player's court or a non-stat story writer in some other capacity) will still be open.

Given that I am considering updating battles in #nes, what kind of format would you all find interesting? Would you like me to give you a set menu of actions, or would you like to keep it more free-form?

Cards.

Seriously. There's a list of possible options, but not all are always available. The ones we can do are randomly determined, with weights for various traits. So Cowards would have only a very small chance of leading a charge, while someone with Wroth has a pretty good chance of getting the option to go Berserker at any given point.

Cards tailored towards the traits of the general sound great if you could pull it off simply.

Cards.

Seriously. There's a list of possible options, but not all are always available. The ones we can do are randomly determined, with weights for various traits. So Cowards would have only a very small chance of leading a charge, while someone with Wroth has a pretty good chance of getting the option to go Berserker at any given point.

Also, a patient person and master in tactics would prefer wait a better opportunity or terrain to launch an attack or defend. It would also be interesting to use a dice system, 6 being a "positive event" and 1 being "catastrophic" (imagine a shot in the foot). So, a character full of ideas and Innovative trait, in battle got a 1 in dice and may have an idea that will go totally wrong. And maybe the Lucky trait would give one more point to this dice/card.

House Lovell.

Sigil: Black Castle on White Backgrund
Words: Unbreakable.

Lord: Allen Lovell
Regent: Genevieve Lovell.

Family:
Spoiler :

Allen Lovell Age 61-Distinguished and just ruler of House Lovell. Married late in his age and remained true to his wife for all these times. He was beloved by the people for his kind but just rule and his unbreakable code of ethics, if a little bit wary of strangers. He was struck by a mysterious illness few years ago, resulting in becoming confined to a bed and speaking, apparently, in tongues that only his wife could understand.

Incapaciated -5
Dignified +3
Just +1
Moral +0
Pious +0
Shy -1
(+2)

Genevieve Lovell: Wife of Allen. Age 39. Current Regent after she claimed that her husband was actually speaking in tongues that only she can understand. She has proven to be an efficient, albeit cruel, ruler acting in her husband's stead. It is rumored that she incapacitated her husband to hide her affair with a lover. She is incredibly devoted to Ermin and has poor and strange relationship with her eldest son, Jacob. The two have been careful not to show public enmity towards each other, although it's clear that Jacob cannot stand her presence.
-Cruel -2
-Smart (+2)
-Clever (+2)
-Skilled (+1) Plotter
-Tempramental (-1)
-Vain (-1)
-Obsessed -2
-Depraved (-2)
-Dishonest (-1)

Jacob Lovell: 21. Eldest son of Allen and Genetra. Physically, he seems to take after his mother more than he did his father: a fact that he resents greatly. Brilliant by all accounts, he was doted upon by his father to succeed the family line. When Allen fell victim to a mysterious illness, it seemed as if he would... but because of his mother's insistence that his father is speaking in tongues that only she can understand, he has been ousted from stepping into rulership of his father's fiefs. He appears to have always suspected the 'unfortunate illness' that claimed his father and is still often seen speaking with servants in hushed tones in darkened corridors of the family castle.

Distant and seemingly aloof,

-Brilliant +5
-Hardy +2
-Just +1
-Diligent +1
-Clever +2
-Trained +2 (Spymaster)
-Trained +2 (Tactician)
-Dishonest -1
-Distant -1
Rebellious -2
-Cynic 0
(-4)

Aileen Lovell 16 Jacob favored little sister. She is well known for wearing decadent dresses and also for her fair face and poems. A closet homosexual, although she has managed to hide that with a sweet face and skillful lies. Jacob is devoted towards her sister and will not allow anybody to harm her or her reputation. As such, she has led a quite a closeted life. Such a life is one without wants, but also completely unfulfilling. She dreams of one day eliminating the hold Jacob holds over her life.

-Attractice +2
-Friendly +1
-Literary +1
-Dishonest (-1)
-Shy (-1)
-Rebellious (-2)
-Homosexual (-1)
-Vain (-1)
-Cynic (0)

.................................................. ...............

Wilfried Lovell Age 13. Twins with Lysandra. Often hassles whomever is within reach about his newest creations, whether it be some kind of bird-house thing or a new sword hilt design he just came up with. Unfortunately crippled by the fact that he gets scared by even sounds of lightning bolts. Jacob has no patience with this boy and often publicly scorns him. Genevieve has no interest in the twins either.

-Innovative (+3)
-Cowardly (-2)
-Idealist (0)
-Obsessive (-2) (can become obsessed towards studying something to the detriment of everything else that he's supposed to be paying attention to. Like eating.)
-Handy (+1)
-Kind (+2)
-Proactive (0)
-Skilled (+1) Architecture.

Wilma Lovell (13) Twins with Lysander and, in many ways, polar opposite of the boy. Quiet, reserved, and wise beyond her years. She is the one who often listens to whatever Wilfried has to say. She keeps her and her brother out of both Wilfried and their mother's plots and is completely devoted to her brother. Mostly keeps to herself. Poor terms with Jacob.
-Wise (+2)
-Shy (-1)
-Just (+1)
-Distant (-1)
-Patient (0)

Ermin Lovell (Age 3) This child was born to Genetra while his father, Allen, was incapacitated. Jacob is often seen playing with the child while Genevieve is away.
-Lucky (+1)

Retainers:

Spoiler :
House Ulfram: Lord Charles Ulfram M 32
A loyal house occupying a castle north of the middle lake (Lake Oswind). They are seated in a massive castle built to defend the territories of Lovell from incursions from the Mountain People and also controls the various towns and villages around Lake Oswind. Lord Ulfram is a personal friend of Lord Allen Lovell and still visits Lord Allen Lovell's sickbed, where he talks to Lord Allen as if he could still hear or speak.

House Eadric: Lord Paul Eadric M (42)

House Eadric occupies the land around southern most lake (Lake Ternie). Occupying a minor keep and some farming/fishing villages, House Eadric is a small but still occupies enough political and military force to be a power in Lovell's court. Relations to the Lovell family ever since Allen's death have been strained with the lord of Eadric.

House Leofwine (Rose Leofwine (F) 23

A mostly ignored house in the southernmost reaches of Lovell's territory. Rose ascended to the lordship of House Leofwine after the mysterious and quite frankly suspicious accidents and suicides suffered by her elder siblings. Jacob and Rose often are spotted having tea together, although they seem more than content seeing each other on just friendship terms.

"We'll probably kill each other if we spend more time together," Rose was once heard quipping.

House Leofwine recently discovered a mine of iron in their recent digs. Open pit mines are already being built.

History:
Spoiler :
House Lovell is an ancient house which has secured and kept the lands that they have for centuries. Years of rule by lords educated to be just, kind, and unambitious meant that the borders have changed very little in the meantime.

Lord Allen was one such person. Dignified, respectable statesman who proved to be just and kind, with a shy smile around strangers that proved to be more of an endearing trait than a hindrance. What was special about Lord Allen, however, was the fact that he married a demon.

Not an actual demon, of course. A female temptress named Genevieve: a nobody from some twobit house that nobody had given a damn about before. Her eldest child, Jacob, was deemed, while brilliant, acting in a surly and distant manner and not like his dignified ancestors. They praised the boy when his father was around and secretly hoped that Lord Allen would, somehow, live forever.

Then one day, Allen did not wake up from his sleep. That is, he is actually still sleeping to this very day. A few of the noble cried out foul poison! Foul sorcery! Most of the nobles shut their mouths. They knew what the consequence would be if Lord Allen ever were to be declared dead. None of them disliked Jacob, but there was something... strange about the boy's demeanor that they could never get the handle on. He was always away doing something odd and many of them whispered that he was some kind of sorcerer, although they lacked any proof whatsoever.

When Genevieve offered to be the mouthpiece of Allen, they begrudgingly obliged.

And that brings us to today.

Holdings:

Spoiler :
Lakewood Keep: A large keep located between Lake Oswind and the rightost lake, it is the seat of power for the Lovell Family. It is an imposing keep defending what is, relatively speaking, the center of trade for the territories of Lovell.

Ilminster Keep: A large keep located on the shores of Lake Oswind, north. It has defended the territories of Lovell from incursions from fearsome mountain folks for centuries now. Property of House Ulfram

Aldeburg: A fairly small city located on the easternmost lake, complete with a port and the only river navy that the House Lovell bothered to get. House Lovell

Jarrin: A small fishing town located on the shores of Lake Ternie. House Eadric

Koheri: A small farming and fishing village located on the shores of Lake Oswind. House Ulfram.

Aldeburg: A small village that holds some farms and a long though to be depleted iron mines. A recent survey discovered another source of iron inside these mines and people have begun flocking there for search of jobs. House Leofwine.

Immingham: A small farming village located just north of Woodsberg. It specializes in farming and forestry, serving as a source of timber for much of Lovell's territories.

Ternith Hill Keep: Located on the shores of Lake Ternie, this keep originally belonged to some Red lord that attempted to copy Grey's castles in order to defend himself. After a siege, the lords of Eadric decided to, instead of building their own castle, to just take the Red Lord's.

Midone: Located on the shores of Lake Ternie, this village also specializes in forestry and farming.

Grey Hill Keep: House Leofwine. This Keep is really not that special, located in the southernmost reaches of Lovell's territories. It may prove to be of import with the new mine located in Ironwoods.

Good work Seon. With your holdings, however, I would try to be a little bit more imaginative with your names.

Lakewood, Jarrin, Ironwoods, and Midone are fine. But change the other ones, if you can. Look into more toponyms; there's a whole wide world of those. Thanks.

Good work Seon. With your holdings, however, I would try to be a little bit more imaginative with your names.

Lakewood, Jarrin, Ironwoods, and Midone are fine. But change the other ones, if you can. Look into more toponyms; there's a whole wide world of those. Thanks.

I'm a bad namer :(.

I'll try my best.

Strat, I am so impressed. I look forward to seeing where you go with such tangled webs.

A few of you have not yet claimed lands. For those of you, and for those (like bombshoo) who are still interested, here is a selection of some possible claim options on a recent version of the map.

Spoiler :

Option 1 - Windy, rocky, largely infertile lands apart from some passable farming around the lakes. Potential for a small trading port along the (extremely dangerous) northern coastline, with highly dramatic cliff formations. Decent opportunities for mining and quarrying.

Option 2 - The land on the northern coast looks like 1, with the disadvantage of being whipped by the open ocean. The south coast is much more livable. Sunnier and warmer, a fair if marginal farming and fishing area. Potential to create a fairly good local economy. Resources include fish and clay; no great timberland though.

Option 3 - Very dense forest. Extremely marginal farmland throughout. Decent aquaculture and forestry opportunities around the lake. Potential to create trade opportunities from the northern land route passing from Aurene's city to Lovell and the mountain passes.

Option 4 - Very nice land. A good protected bay for a trading city, decent farmland (especially in the east near the great river), and no serious rocky formations. House starting here will probably be very powerful with the potential to make agricultural surplus and export it north and west.

Option 5 - Difficult land. Not on any major trade routes, and the foothills of the mountains make for poor growing soil. Again, decent forestry/mining opportunities, but unlikely to have any major trading centers.

Option 6 - Extremely difficult land. Low, marshy fens for the most part. A house here could easily acquire large tracts of mostly-useless land. Long-term potential for growth in draining the marshes, but that would be extremely difficult.

Option 7 - Hardscrabble, post-glaciated moors. Excellent land for defending and mining, but not capable of supporting large groups of people. An extremely politically volatile area with a majority-Fennacht population. Will either be a Grayling marcher lord or a lesser Fennacht clan "beholden" to the Ymherador Dugallach just to the west.

Options 8 and 9, not shown, would be a smaller house in the unclaimed upper stretches of the main river, or holding a keep on either of the two great mountain passes. If you want to join in the north, talk to NK. :p

Top Bottom