Your time travel destination of choice?

hysterical accusations of stalinism
What is it with you, that people are only allowed to be boggle-eyed anti-Communists or diehard Tankies? I may as well declare that because you're an anti-Communist, you must also be a Nazi. It wouldn't make any less sense.

Yeah you know what scrap intellectual legacy and replace it with cultural legacy.
I don't agree that Marx's cultural legacy can be reduced to the atrocities of the Marxist-Leninist regimes. Stalin does not eclipse Sarte, Mao does not eclipse Fanon, the Gulag does not eclipse May '68. Such reduction is to surrender the entirety of human history, every last scrap, to the barbarians, and I'm not prepared to make that concession.

Here's what I don't get. Following this logic through, you don't /have/ to kill Marx. You gotta kill those French upstarts. Clearly they, more than Marx are responsible for those Communists, AND the Fascists, AND the Baathists, AND the Irish Republicans, AND the Koumintang, AND the Neo-cons and so on, and so on, and so on.

What about these pricks Adam and Eve? All they've brought us with their honkey-bonkey is misery and overall death.

Yeah, but who's fault is that? Who could have avoided this whole mess, if he'd just had a bit of patience?

I think we know.

And I think we know what we have to do.

Unless you sweep everything under the rug... for later use.

I dunno, but exiling an entire race to a completely inferior, compared to their previous land, planet/plane/whatever for clothes and civilization is, well, a bad trade off in the short term and kinda decent in long term.

anyone fancy a trip back into the Dinosaur eras? too dangerous?
wonder if humans could breathe freely that air, all that giant dino herbivore farting, and all.
On a more serious note, other destination of choice for me would be Byzantium: I'd try and save the city from the Turkish onslaught (probably by bringing in a lot of guns and ammo), same goes for Carthage, help Carthaginians save the city from the Romans.
Of course I realize that I wouldn't be able to do any of this due to the time Paradox issue.

Also, because you'll mess up history, badly at that.

Perhaps time machines should just create an alternative universe, reserved for the roaming time-travellers but without affecting OTL.

Maybe time travelers have sabotaged all efforts in RTL. They will continue to do so and even thwart those thwarts, but it could get confusing after a while, and become a secret society of time travel saboteurs. Now it just sounds like an ultra conservative or traditionalist group.

I don't agree that Marx's cultural legacy can be reduced to the atrocities of the Marxist-Leninist regimes. Stalin does not eclipse Sarte, Mao does not eclipse Fanon, the Gulag does not eclipse May '68. Such reduction is to surrender the entirety of human history, every last scrap, to the barbarians, and I'm not prepared to make that concession.
Critical social movements for a change, critical thinkers... all that is in general not tied to Marx. And I don't see how it is specifically better for Marx in a way that it outweighs his unintentional contribution to - in the end - solidifying the status quo.

Critical social movements for a change, critical thinkers... all that is in general not tied to Marx.
Sartre and Fanon were Marxists, and heterodox Marxism had a strong influence on May '68.

And I don't see how it is specifically better for Marx in a way that it outweighs his unintentional contribution to - in the end - solidifying the status quo.
It doesn't "outweigh" anything, because that's not an appropriate way to think about this. Marx's legacy is complex and contradictory; attempting to reduce his legacy down to a single positive or negative figure is just intellectual laziness, regardless of which side you come down on.

Top Bottom