Romans VS Mongols in real life

I'm willing to back the Mongols.

Considering the Mongols emerged in the 13th century and the "Roman Empire" ceased to exist in the 5th/6th and the Mongols never fought against the Byzantines I would say no, they never actually fought in history.

Of course you could argue that the Romans did fight the Huns, but that would depend on where you think the Huns came from.

You're only half right. The Mongols did come into conflict with post-Fourth Crusade Byzantine remnant states in Anatolia in the middle 1200s.

No, that would probably be the US armed forces.

I'm being completely serious.

Cannot agree with you my wise comrade, it's got to be the Spartans, just give them the same weapons (and some training) and watch your US troops being wiped out by the Spartans who were brought up from age 7 to basically do nothing, but fight.

It is pretty hilarious that these Spartans didn't actually won in Thermopylae, didn't build any empire, barely managed to defeat democratic Athens in Peloponez War after 30 years of struggle... To be defeated by THEBES soon. And later by Macedonia. And Rome :d So - called Spartan superiority existed in the small part of small Greek country.

Honestly I cannot imagine better soldiers than these from Mongolian Empire. Jesus Christ, a bunch of horse riders - initially not much bigger than Spartan army - who snowballed into the biggest empire in the entire history. In medieval age with mediocre technology. Conquered major global Chinese technological superpower of 120 000 000 people and governed 30 millions square kilometres. Everything via tent, horse and bow. Impossible to beat.

the SS was dreamed up to be some sort of Spartans to massacre the some sort of Persians that populated the Earth by 1930s and they were like squashed like lemons between them Russkies and the Anglosaxons , including the US Army with ever present artillery and stuff . And am hardly a fan of US Army .

uhmm , so what ? Is it a German fault that the Greeks could find it almost unpalatable to join the SS voluntering business only because they were like crushed by the Wehrmacht after a credible showing against the Italians ? Your Civil War immediately proved you had enough men with the "Right" spirit ...

Krajzen said:
To be defeated by THEBES soon.
This cannot be repeated enough.

Cannot agree with you my wise comrade, it's got to be the Spartans, just give them the same weapons (and some training) and watch your US troops being wiped out by the Spartans who were brought up from age 7 to basically do nothing, but fight.

The US military uses science.

That's true of ever warrior-society in history, especially warrior-aristocracies. The only reason we get so excited about Spartans is because 19th century historians built up the Peloponnesian Wars as a microcosm of all human civilisation. Spartans became the warrior-elite and Athenians became the soldier-citizens, archetypes more than historical realities.

That's not absurd by Roman standards, no.

Fair point. So we still have the Mongols ahead by quite a bit.

Mongol seams to have been trained for war since like age 3 or something like that crazy.
Mongol also seams to have valued meritocracy more than many others during their time.
Basicly a society built for survival, other steep people probably was their equals but then they attacked the large rich empires they showed that large and rich don't have to have good soldiers atleast not compared to the mongols.
Its hard to find anything that did defeat empires like the mongols did.

For Romans their best hope probably lies in some kind of ambush or fighting in closed terrain, or just avoid them altogther.

Both cuisines suck.

Top Bottom