Willem van Oranje/Sirius Diplomacy

From Trystero in pvm:

Hi obsolete,

I'll pass along your message to the team, and we'll send a response shortly. Our usual route for diplomatic contacts is through the team email accounts (ours is sirius.mtdg@gmail.com), so we'll send our response to your team gmail address.

Regards,

Trystero
_________

How about we send this:

To Mr. Willem:

We have spent ages cruising the seas to make contact with you by workboats, by galleys, and even triremes. This is a momentus occasion and we are always happy to have a new friend.

Was there anything you would wish to do to further increase our relationship at this time? Did you wish to trade for metal casting and machinery? Or perhaps we could avoid double-teching in order to save beakers and co-ordinate our paths better.

In the meantime, there is another trireme up on its way near your galley. Do not be alarmed my friend, for we wish your galley no harm. If you are worried in any way, we could make a peace contract if that makes you feel safer.

The Mavericks

* Edit. In case you didn't catch it, the trireme part is a bluff.

I will have to go out later on tonight. And I'd like some input, we can't stall these guys forever. Only so many hours per turn.

So... what do you think?

Ok I've sent it just now. I didn't want to wait for Mike to, since every hour could make a tremendous difference again.

Good job with the trireme bluff :goodjob:, it may have saved our intrepid workboat. We just have to make sure that we don't get caught out for it. We should build a trireme soonish though...

I got a pvm response:

Trystero said:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am having trouble reaching most of the rest of the team. And our current turnplayer ended the turn without consulting the team. Please do not take that to mean any decision has been reached regarding your offer.

I will get back to you as soon as I can.

obsolete said:
I bumped into your Galley on the way over to find you. You wouldn't be interested in getting Metal-Casting & Machinery in 2 turns would you?

Tell everyone on your team we said hi.

BTW, why haven't you dog-piled on Pacal yet?

Guys, I think we should send another BLUFF, and email each of the members telling them we have an offer of 120 gold for Iron Working, and am looking for a cheaper deal.

Or do you think that's not believable? Should we claim 155g, or something? We also may want to do some cheap silly gold trades, like pay Willem a bit for silly Hunting etc. At least it may warm them up early, and when the other two see Willem trading with us, it may start to break down their prisoner's dilemma.

Every hour that keeps ticking by here is important.

No answere from Willem.. geeze. This is going to be a really rough game I see. Ironic, as Sommer should have been the worst one in this game tech wise, but he sure talked the others into conspiring with him all right.

Next turn starts in 1 hour, I will stay logged in and hopefully I can snatch a few of them for talk on-the-spot.

Isn't gold trading unlocked via currency, or is that different in multiplayer?

They have currency, I am sure of it.

Anyhow, Trireme bluff worked. Willem doubled back his galley, and has founded a new city. Looks like he intended to settle further towards us, but had second thoughts when he figured our trireme may sink a loaded galley :p

This leads me to believe there may be iron there...

Response by PVM...

My dear obsolete and Team Mavericks,

Our sincerest apologies for the delay. This weekend has been quite problematic for assembling our entire high council. We are still discussing your trade offer.

However, in the meantime, we would be happy to offer your vessels safe passage through our waters. We will extend Open Borders to you immediately in-game.

It would aid us greatly if we knew which technologies in particular you would be seeking in exchange for Machinery. (We are about to finish research into Metal Casting ourselves, and thus would not be interested in trading for it).

Again my apologies for the delay. We will be back in touch shortly.

Best regards,

Trystero

Well, I think we know where Q is getting MC from -- they are going to do a Calendar for Metal Casting deal with Willem.

Greetings Trystero and Team Sirius,

We will happily accept Open Borders and look forward to a mutually beneficial alliance.

In terms of technology trade, we feel it is important that you are fully aware of our tech situation so that we do not set expectations for you that we cannot meet.

We expect one of the three scenarios to occur:

1) If the gods do not smile upon us, we will be uncovering the secrets of Theology shortly. In that case, we would be happy to trade this tech and perhaps get a missionary to your lands so that you can benefit from this tech.

2) If the gods do smile upon us, we could be uncovering the secrets of Machinery shortly. We would be most interested in Iron Working, Writing, Alphabet and possibly Monarchy and/or Calendar, which we believe you are close to acquiring.

3) Alternatively, we may use our fortune for another project, then look to uncover the secrets of Machinery in another 20 turns. We could revisit the tech trades at that time.

Of the three, we feel that the third scenario is most likely, but our hands may be forced into the first, but it is not likely.

Also, we are just curious if you have had any communication problems with Quatronia. Despite signing open borders and a non-aggression pact with them, they do not respond to us for weeks at a time. Do you know if this is deliberate or not? How has your relationship with them been?

And lastly, resource trades could benefit both our nations greatly. We have Gems and Rice, and will have Dyes in the future. What do you have available and would you be willing to resource trade?

Regards,

TheMike
Mavericks Diplomat

Add your comments/modifications that you see fit. I may have said too much, but I prefer to be open to a civ that has not yet given us a reason to play games.

We already have open borders with them. And we already CAN bulb machinery this turn.

But my worry is they will just trade/gift machinery to the other two.

Top Bottom