Preventing isolated starts

noto2

Emperor
What is the best way to prevent generating isolated starts? I think they break the game. For a builder, like Egypt or Korea, it's an auto-win, and for a warmonger it's a major set-back. Keep in mind I want more than 1 continent in the game.

I was playing with continents and rolled isolated starts about 1/3 of the time, so I switched to hemispheres. They've been less common but I still get them quite often. I hate aborting a game and starting over just because of a bad map.

The easiest way to deny isolated starts is to play on smaller maps, beyond that.... there's really nothing you can do about it.

Play with increasing number of civs. You shouldn't frequently get isolated start unless you play with low sea or something similar that increases land.

the NQ Pangäa map is a map that was developed exactly for that not to happen since many players wan't to play on Pangäa with out the problem of some players wining becuase they had a stupid row of mountains protecting them.
here is a link to it

For a Warmoger it is not a setback it just forces him to change his plans, since also attila can just sim city and win the game because of isolation

the NQ Pangäa map is a map that was developed exactly for that not to happen since many players wan't to play on Pangäa with out the problem of some players wining becuase they had a stupid row of mountains protecting them.
here is a link to it

For a Warmoger it is not a setback it just forces him to change his plans, since also attila can just sim city and win the game because of isolation

Maybe he is talking about a multiplayer game, though if I picked Atilla in a SP game and found I was on an island I would be re-rolling. I pick Atilla to kill people not hit next turn.

I'm not talking about pangea, I don't imagine it would be a problem on that map. I meant continents and hemispheres. Anyway... I just re-start when it happens, til annoying, though.

Forget the name but there is a map for an ice world that has a wide area of ice north and south that forces civilizations into a narrow band of habitable area, try it and add a couple of players to the default number, it's still possible to get islands with this map, but usually there will still be someone nearby, often on the same island. Last time I got Rome and Denmark as my next door neighbors, that was fun.

I'm not talking about pangea, I don't imagine it would be a problem on that map. I meant continents and hemispheres.
Try the continents plus script. It makes the CS a little less accessible, but you will almost always have neighbors.

Try the continents plus script. It makes the CS a little less accessible, but you will almost always have neighbors.

Ah that's right, I completely forgot about that script. Thanks!

In addition to Continents plus (which you probably want),
there is also Fractal to consider.

There's also some scripts such as Ice Age that include an option of landmass type (Pangaea/Continents,Archipelago)

Top Bottom