Weakest AI Civ Leaders

EvilPocatello

Chieftain
I enjoyed the discussion about strongest AI leader, but that got me thinking, who is weaker than they should be?

My nominee is Bismarck. I cannot recall being rushed by some powerful early German/Barb Army. I never let him build up enough for Panzers to make a difference. By late game, he is completely neutralized. Overall, when I see this guy, I know he is a useful trade partner until he gets in my way. Never had a serious problem with him.

Is this unique, or is Bismarck a bust for everyone? Germany should be a significant threat, but instead, they are pretty weak IMO. Who else is weaker than they should be?

Not sure where you get the idea he's weak AI, he does go for pretty intense conquering spree.

Venice certainly qualifies, but that's because of his handicap. Byzantium is usually pretty weak.

My top pick for all difficulty levels is Monty. He's been my favorite since civ5 Vanilla came out and they didn't change him at all. He has 2 of the best infrastructure bonuses between his UA and UB. Before Poland came out, I thought he was the best overall civ and while I still think so, I acknowledge that it's hard (incorrect even) to make the argument of Aztecs>Poland.

However, in the hands of the AI, the Aztecs will harass human players and AI alike but never cause a significant imposition or threaten a victory condition. They do better than some of the weaker civs, but nowhere near what his potential is, especially considering the AI can pretty much disregard happiness problems, which is the Achilles' heel of the Aztecs.

Not sure where you get the idea he's weak AI, he does go for pretty intense conquering spree.

Venice certainly qualifies, but that's because of his handicap. Byzantium is usually pretty weak.

My point is that he is weak when I face him, which is why I wrote: "Is this unique, or is Bismarck a bust for everyone?"

I agree on Byzantium. Venice always undercuts CS alliances against me. Not a threat to win, but annoying.

ashurbanipal, gandhi and pacal tend to either get completely eliminated or severely crippled by the late game; not always, but frequently. gandhi will usually build a ton of wonders but seriously lack in military power and another stronger civ usually guts him come the mid game

William, partly as the A.I. doesn't know how to fully exploit the UA (East India Company), and partly because it's weak at naval warfare -- and hence doesn't get best use out if the Sea Beggar.

Pacal hardly builds a military, often goes piety, and spams wonders. That makes him pretty weak.

Yes, an AI's overall weakness is almost always attributable to its gameplay tendencies, and rarely due to UA/UB/UU/UI.

I nominate the Ottomans. They just never seem to have a good military force, despite their unique units and naval boost.

Nabby.

Nabby I agree, even with advantages given, he still lags behind. Ottomans are pretty solid AI civ, they will rush with Janissary almost all the time, not sure why you think they're bad.

Kamehameha, spain with no natrual wonders, and hiawatta are all just pushovers in my games.

Hiawatha spawning next door is almost an automatic reroll for me. Not that he is a threat to win, but because he will spam cities all over the place. Kam is a good partner to work with, I agree, rarely a threat.

Once the early eras are over, the Huns end up getting steamrolled.

Denmark never seems to do well in my games, either.

Once the early eras are over, the Huns end up getting steamrolled.
Depends on whether or not AI-Attila gets to take advantage of it's early units. He tends not to expand beyond his initial 2 cities (deity), but I had a game where he eliminated 3 neighbors during HIS era, so he had 4 capital class cities and two poorly placed cities, which for the AI is not too much in terms of escalating research costs but not too few to be drowned out. He was the first to renaissance and industrial eras and the second (behind me) to modern and atomic.

^^That's true (i.e., AI-Atilla takes advantage of his early units). I have had a few games were he gobbled up an entire continent, but in most games, the other AIs seem to gang up on him. Or he's close to me and declares war early. I then take most of his cities (except one).

I have had a few games were he gobbled up an entire continent,
I find that actually works against him. I've seen Atilla wipe out continents before as well, but without trading partners or someone to spy on, he fades. He needs to take out a few people AND still have others around that he has contact with.

Top Bottom