Test pitboss

That's a pretty decent start. You'll be able to chop out a lot of stuff, and the corn will be irrigated too. I'll share my start as soon as you fix it so I can get into the game. :)

You might want to make a list of who's playing what civ, so no-one picks the wrong one.

...Actually, I see you've already done it. Here it is copied, for those who haven't yet checked the first post:

1. DaveShack - Augustus Caesar
2. Chimera1804 - random (Joao of Portugal)
3. BCLG100 - Ragnar
4. Lord Parkin - Huayna Capac
5. azzaman333 - Cyrus
6. Allan79 - Gengkis Khan
7. classical_hero - Suryavarman II
8. grant2004 - Wang Kon
9. hell_hound - Napoleon
10. nabaxo - Darius
11. v8_mark - Zara
12. Celiazul - Elizabeth
13. Donovan Zoi - Shaka
14. Robi D - Byzantium
15. Irgy - random (Asoka of India)
16. champinoman - random (Hannibal of Carthage)
Eagerly awaiting you to sort out the firewall issue, Dave. Hope I'll be able to play soon. :)

Yay, it's working now! :D

Not bad, not bad. :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0247.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0247.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 329
Not bad?! You're financial, with floodplains, and river gold!

That's a great start.

It's much, much better than a coastal start with not seafood, plains hill sheep, plains cows and a 1 tile long river!

I think I'd better not mention that I spotted two more resources in my fat cross when I settled, then. ;)

Obviously the starts are somewhat variable on a random map like this, but it's still interesting to compare to see what different people got. :)

I would have wanted to play, but this has started already, right?

Yes, it's started. I almost put the last 2 civs as AI, but it really unbalances in favor of their immediate neighbors if nobody joins. With so many players we could have a dropout or a sub needed. Also at least one of the teams is planning to have a game so there should be more opportunities. :)

Yeah, it's not a big deal, but I offer to help if anyone needs to drop out or needs a sub. Otherwise good luck everyone.

It's very likely that at least one person who's signed up will become unavailable partway through (or even on the first turn), so you'd be more than welcome to take their place in that event. :)

It's very likely that at least one person who's signed up will become unavailable partway through (or even on the first turn), so you'd be more than welcome to take their place in that event. :)

Just let me know if I'm needed. I check this thread everyday.

A small amount of analysis, for those interested. Feel free to skip this post if it doesn't interest you. :)

Civs

1. Augustus Caesar (Ind/Imp, Fishing/Mining)
2. Joao (Exp/Imp, Fishing/Mining)
3. Ragnar (Fin/Agg, Fishing/Hunting)
4. Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind, Mysticism/Agriculture)
5. Cyrus (Imp/Cha, Agriculture/Hunting)
6. Gengkis Khan (Agg/Imp, The Wheel/Hunting)
7. Suryavarman II (Exp/Cre, Hunting/Mining)
8. Wang Kon (Fin/Pro, Mysticism/Mining)
9. Napoleon (Org/Cha, The Wheel/Agriculture)
10. Darius (Fin/Org, Agriculture/Hunting)
11. Zara (Cre/Org, Hunting/Mining)
12. Elizabeth (Fin/Phi, Fishing/Mining)
13. Shaka (Agg/Exp, Agriculture/Hunting)
14. Justinian (Spi/Imp, Mysticism/The Wheel)
15. Asoka (Spi/Org, Mysticism/Mining)
16. Hannibal (Fin/Cha, Fishing/Mining)

Trait analysis

Financial - 6
Imperialistic - 5
Organized - 4
Aggressive - 3
Charismatic - 3
Expansive - 3
Creative - 2
Industrious - 2
Spiritual - 2
Protective - 1
Philosophical - 1

Financial is the most popular trait - no surprises there. Imperialistic coming in second is a bit of a surprise, especially since Expansive wasn't so popular (usually it's the other way around)... so lots of people will have fast Settlers in this game, and only a few will have fast Workers. Organized is reasonably popular, which is usual. There are a few militarily enhanced Aggressive and Charismatic civs out there - so watch out for BCLG100, azzaman333, Allan79, hell_hound, Donovan Zoi, and champinoman on the battlefield.

Two people are Creative - classical_hero and v8_mark - so mind your borders if you start close to them. Only two of us are Industious (myself and DaveShack), so we'll have a slight advantage over the rest of you in wonder construction. There are two Spiritual civs - Robi D and Irgy - so look out for those quick changes into war civics. There is only one Protective civ (grant2004), so attacking him might prove trickier than other people. Finally, Celiazul is the only Philosophical civ, which is unusual as it is a fairly good trait... but anyway, expect to see a lot of great people from Celiazul.

Interestingly, we covered all the traits, which doesn't often happen (usually there are one or two which nobody uses). :)

Tech analysis

Mining - 8
Hunting - 7
Agriculture - 5
Fishing - 5
Mysticism - 4
The Wheel - 3

Half the people in this game started with Mining, so will have a quicker route to Bronze Working and (potentially) Copper. Almost half the people started with Hunting, so will have Scouts (the other 9 of us will start with Warriors). Five people got Agriculture, a decent starting worker tech, while the same number got Fishing, so they'll be able to build Work Boats from the start if they started on the coast. Four of us got Mysticism, so it'll likely be one of us (myself, grant2004, Robi D and Irgy) who founds Buddhism and/or Hinduism. The least common tech was The Wheel, so only Allan79, Robi D and hell_hound will be able to build roads from the beginning. Also, Allan79 and hell_hound are the only two people who are potentially one tech from Chariots (assuming they have Horses nearby). So watch out for those two. ;)

Unique Units/Buildings

I won't say much here, as most people are probably familiar with the different unique units and buildings. However, a couple of points for the early game: watch out for those Praetorians from DaveShack, those Immortals from azzaman333 and nabaxo, those Keshiks from Allan79 / Numdian Cavalry from champinoman, those Impis from Donovan Zoi, and I guess those Quechas from me (though I'm not planning on any early rushes, so my neighbours need not worry ;) ). Also watch out early on for those fast Galleys and Triremes from BCLG100, those extra promoted mounted units from Allan79, and that low-maintenance expansion from Donovan Zoi. A little later you'll want to be very wary of classical_hero's Ballista Elephants and grant2004's Hwachas. And as the game progresses, you might see some particularly dangerous units fielded by BCLG100 (Beserkers), v8_mark (Oromo Warriors), Robi D (Cataphracts), and later Celiazul (Redcoats). Also, watch out for Chimera1804 sneaking across an early invasion on those Carracks!

Anyway, hope this was interesting and informative to some of you. Game on, people! :D

Great, it all worked perfectly. Not sure why everyone's posting their starts, but I'll join in:

Spoiler :

Not too bad, but really, why couldn't the warrior and settler be the other way around! Not the best leader for this start either, I don't have fishing and I'm two techs away from animal husbandry. I could end up hooking up the marble before the pigs at this rate...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 388
I think it's just that this is intended to be more of a fun game rather than a competitive one. So it's just kind of fun to compare starts. :)

Top Bottom