[MOD] More Naval AI

Could you change the way installer works? Right now it forces installation into "Fall from Heaven 2" folder which means you need to rename you mod folders to have it installed where it actually needs to be ("Fall from Heaven 2 - NavalAI" in my case) while keeping vanilla FFH2 intact.

I'd personally prefer to have a simple archive file that I could extract myself although I suppose you made an installer for a less computer savvy people?

Could you change the way installer works? Right now it forces installation into "Fall from Heaven 2" folder which means you need to rename you mod folders to have it installed where it actually needs to be ("Fall from Heaven 2 - NavalAI" in my case) while keeping vanilla FFH2 intact.

I'll keep it in mind but it isn't really on my radar. I'm just using an install-creation script that I got from the Utility Programs forum.

One serious balance issue:

Peaks often turn into volcanoes -> volcanoes fire up forests -> forests don't grow on ice -> on maps with at lest moderate amount of peaks Illians are almost guaranteed to end up without any forests.

Maybe burnt forests should be allowed to appear on ice? After that they upgrade into forests just fine.

Version 1.4 released (compatible with previous saves)

Changes with this update:
  • Tweaks to AI production choices, mainly focusing on buildings that are required to create units and Mages and Priests
  • Priests of Winter now get UNITAI_HERO
  • AI allowed to build forts
  • AI controlled Vampires will now look around for cities to Feast in
  • AI will join Overcouncil and Undercouncil again
  • AI won't raze cities if the No Settlers option is enabled
  • Fix for non-mage units getting Mage AI
  • Tweaks to AI civic choices
  • Volcanoes will now appear in Hell terrain
  • Scorch will now turn Marsh to plains
  • Fix for Barbarian units spawning as civ-specific units
  • Various other fixes and tweaks to try and improve the AI

Version 1.4 - and after I just got 1.3 merged with some other mods I use!

Seriously, thanks. Any changes to the DLL? If so, can you post the updated Source Code?

Great. I was wondering why I was the only member of the Undercouncil. I'm a total noob to the mod, still getting used to the changes.

One serious balance issue:

Peaks often turn into volcanoes -> volcanoes fire up forests -> forests don't grow on ice -> on maps with at lest moderate amount of peaks Illians are almost guaranteed to end up without any forests.

Maybe burnt forests should be allowed to appear on ice? After that they upgrade into forests just fine.

Hmmm. Not really sure that I agree that it's a serious issue. There are a lot of ways forest fires can be started (explosions, blaze, etc). I think that it's a tradeoff for the Illians when they decide to change their land to ice. You can still get a mage with Spring to quench the fires or one with Scorch to turn the ice under your forest preserve to tundra instead.

Wow, that was quick. Didn't even have the time to finish a game with 1.3 :x

[*] Tweaks to AI civic choices

What exactly are the changes between 1.3 and 1.4 in this area? Civic AI seemed quite OK to me now (no more Religion-Conquest everywhere, at last).

[*] Fix for Barbarian units spawning as civ-specific units

So that means the infamous Barbarian Freaks bug was eliminated? What exactly was causing it?

[*] Various other fixes and tweaks to try and improve the AI

Could you be more specific on this topic? Which areas were improved?

Anyways, I think the AI could still use some work in a No Settlers / Barbarian World environment (my favourite playstyle). I've seen AI stacks that would easily conquer barbarian cities just roam the land (something needs to be done about those roaming stacks, they seem completely useless - maybe the AI is building too many units in that environment?).

What exactly are the changes between 1.3 and 1.4 in this area? Civic AI seemed quite OK to me now (no more Religion-Conquest everywhere, at last).

Mainly getting the AI to use Sacrifice the Weak and join the Councils.

So that means the infamous Barbarian Freaks bug was eliminated? What exactly was causing it?

Yep. Turns out that when I moved production functionality into the DLL that I lost some code in python along the way that handled Barbarian spawns and production. In the DLL, Barbarians weren't checking the PrereqCiv tag when checking for which units to spawn, so I added code to do that.

Another bit of fallout from this change is that Barb cities will now make Lunatics. Though Asylums require OO, Lunatics do not, and Barbs ignore building requirements. I decided to leave that bug in until I can figure out a good solution.

Could you be more specific on this topic? Which areas were improved?

• Non-combat units won't pick up equipment (made this change after I saw a Mud Golem wandering around with Orthus' Axe)
  • Removed a bunch of Python restrictions for worker build choices
  • Wolfpacks get UNITAI_ATTACK when they're created (they were being set to UNITAI_RESERVE)
  • Fixed some incorrect AI terraforming settings that had been accidentally copied from Wild Mana
  • Began adding some code to help the AI account for some XML Promotion tags that are FFH specific (such as iCombatHealPercent and iCombatCapturePercent)
  • Began adding some code to help the AI account for some XML Bonus tags that are FFH specific (such as iGreatPeopleRateModifier and iMaintenanceModifier)
  • Modified AI_summonCast() to encourage summoners to cast permanent summon spells whenever they can
  • Blocked the AI from casting Dispel without a specific command to do so
  • Removal of some code that kept the AI from hurrying production when it is in Panic mode
  • Gave the AI extra encouragement to research techs that allow them to clear troublesome terrain
  • Created a new AI_getMojoFactor() function to help the AI decide how much it likes magic stuff
  • Addition of an AI_getTowerManaValue() function (currently unfinished and unused. I may change this into a general ManaValue function)
  • A couple of Era fixes (FFH doesn't increment eras like base Civ does, but many DLL functions expect to access the currentEra info to get an idea of what stage the game is in)
  • Python hack to keep AI from building Planar Gates too early

I think that's pretty much it. I use SourceForge to manage my code, so you can see my updates and code there also - http://tholalsffhaimod.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tholalsffhaimod/

Anyways, I think the AI could still use some work in a No Settlers / Barbarian World environment (my favourite playstyle). I've seen AI stacks that would easily conquer barbarian cities just roam the land (something needs to be done about those roaming stacks, they seem completely useless - maybe the AI is building too many units in that environment?).

Fair enough. I don't usually test on those settings. I'll add it to my list to check it out.

Another bit of fallout from this change is that Barb cities will now make Lunatics. Though Asylums require OO, Lunatics do not, and Barbs ignore building requirements. I decided to leave that bug in until I can figure out a good solution.

Do they ignore Religious requirements too? In Civ4UnitInfos.xml you could add RELIGION_OCTOPUS_OVERLORDS to the PrereqReligion tab for the Lunatic. That would make the city require OO before building Lunatics. The Lunatic already requires the Asylum building, which already requires the OO religion in the city, so it should not make a difference to 'legal' Lunatic builds.

Do they ignore Religious requirements too? In Civ4UnitInfos.xml you could add RELIGION_OCTOPUS_OVERLORDS to the PrereqReligion tab for the Lunatic. That would make the city require OO before building Lunatics. The Lunatic already requires the Asylum building, which already requires the OO religion in the city, so it should not make a difference to 'legal' Lunatic builds.

I gave this a try and it limits Lunatics to civs following OO as a State Religion.

Maybe you should simply make Asylum a prereq building for Lunatics (like Hunting Lodge, Training Yard and so on), to make sure Barbarians never build them if this building isn't in their city (and if it is, well, they have earned the right to let the maniacs out)?

Anyway, thanks for the bonus info!

Top Bottom