Axeman Speculation

You know, there's also a chance it's a unit created specifically for the Civil War scenario (a ton of the scenarios have unique unit art) and they just chose to also recycle it in the main game for barbarian art to get more use out of the asset.

This theory makes a lot of sense to me. Barb-only unit, and made because they already had it for the Civil War, a scenario where native Americans could very well by represented as barbs in game.

Otherwise:
- A UU that the devs made a barb either by accident or to tease a new civ without revealing it.
- A new unit, so either everyone gets a tomahawk unit, or the axeman's symbol looks like a tomahawk.
- A UU that has Civ4Privateer abilities, but players would know exactly who it's from and the AI is supposed to be like the players, so that doesn't sound likely.

Spoiler :

So a few things we can deduce:

1. It's a ranged unit. The swordsman is fortified/healing from damage while the barbarian unit is unharmed. Barbs don't heal so if it was a melee attack the damage would be apparent.

2. It does not replace the Swordsman, or the Composite bow.

Now, If we already have the Archer, Composite Bow, catapults, and horse archer what possible purpose would another ranged unit serve? Replacing the Archer would lead to some awkward upgrade to composite bowman. Plus, if you replace units, you would have to worry about all those other unique units based on them.

Perhaps its close proximity to the swordsman indicates it only has 1 range.

This is a bit of a stretch, but I am going to go out on a limb and suggest there will be a new series of early units based on the axe. I think Warriors will upgrade to an Axeman instead of Spearman. As it is right now, the AI builds too many spear-based units because there isn't a whole lot of choice when it comes to early-game melee. This makes horse-based armies weak against a lot of AI armies.

Adding an Axe based Melee unit will give the spearman more competition. In the Axeman tech will be the option to build the tomahawk wielding ranged unit as well. Not as long-distance at the archer, but strong enough. Perhaps this would give the scout a legitimate upgrade path instead of hoping you find a ruins that pushes it into an archer.

You might even give the axe-based units a bonus versus spears.

In my opinion the above ^ is fairly reasonable speculation. For a longtime people have complained about mounted units being too weak (although I don't think so and they are incredibly useful in MP) and this could be done to add more balance.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest this unit is ranged.

Another point I would like to add is if this is a ranged unit, then it will no doubt mean barbarian archers are out in favor of the 1-range tomahawk unit. Which means, less sitting there and taking it from a barb archer you can't reach in 1 turn.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest this unit is ranged.

The Barbarian is undamaged, while the swordsman is damaged and fortified. If the barbarian was a melee unit and he attacked, it would show a partially depleted hitpoint bar. Go load up a game and have a barbarian take a swipe at you.

Plus, the tomahawk is largely associated with use as a throwing weapon. Same with it's predecessor, the Francisca.

It could be anything, even a unique scout replacement. The tomahawk icon doesn't necessarily mean that it throws them. And the swordsman could be damaged for any number of reasons.

I hope it is a babarian replacement for spearmen or pikeman. It would make horsemen much more fun to explore with.
It is no different that they have a brute instead of a warrior.

The point that has come up repeatedly in this thread is that this screenshot is staged, probably for the purpose of stimulating discussion/speculation on this unit.

I think we're supposed to read the damaged Swordsman and undamaged tomabarb (as I will call him for now) as evidence that the tomabarb is ranged. So while it's not definitive evidence that it is a ranged unit, it's clearly what we're meant to deduce.

Of course, they could have set it up just to mess with us... :p

It could be anything, even a unique scout replacement.
Barbarians don't get unique units. They also don't get scouts. While I think there is a good possibility that a scout can upgrade into that tomahawk unit, I don't believe it's a unique unit itself.

The tomahawk icon doesn't necessarily mean that it throws them.
I'm hardly a weapons expert, but in modern culture tomahawks are largely associated with their throwing ability. While it doesn't mean they can't be melee units, there is a good chance that tomahawk = throwing weapon. And the complementary evidence of the damaged unit versus undamaged barbarian supports that notion.

And the swordsman could be damaged for any number of reasons.

Sure, it's one screenshot without much context so we'll never be 100% sure of anything.

However, let's look at what is most likely and come to a conclusion based on the likeliest scenario. Let's make a small, but logical assumption that they didn't spend hours tweaking random crap like a swordsman hitpoints in an editor just for a screenshot, or they grayed out that camel unit to simulate the fact that it has used up its turn. Let's just say that this is an actual game being played out. Because if it's not then this whole thread is kind of pointless. I can't disprove a negative. All I can do is look at the evidence in this screenshot and give a plausible analysis.

• There is a barbarian next to a defending swordsman who has taken damage. Barbarians are hostile units that will attack the swordsman if it has decent odds.
  • There are no other civilizations around for which it could have taken damage from.
  • The only way the barbarian would not have attacked the swordsman is if it was too far away the turn before, or would have taken too much damage.
  • The barbarian has taken no damage and they don't heal. So either it's ranged or hasn't attacked yet.

All this leads me to the conclusion that the most likely explanation is that:
1. This is a generic ranged unit used by barbarians, but open to everyone else.

Could it be something else? Sure, It could be anything. It could be the new model for the Great Prophet. But the evidence in the screenshot leads me to this conclusion.

The Barbarian is undamaged, while the swordsman is damaged and fortified. If the barbarian was a melee unit and he attacked, it would show a partially depleted hitpoint bar. Go load up a game and have a barbarian take a swipe at you.

Plus, the tomahawk is largely associated with use as a throwing weapon. Same with it's predecessor, the Francisca.

You don't know if that barbarian was the case of that swordman's damage or not. He could have killed another unit and occupied that hex or just be sitting there and that barbarian has merely walked adjacent to him.

Trust me, I've been examining and speculating on this photo for a while now. I see that the unit is un damaged. Want to know something even more curious? There are only ten individuals in that barbarian unit as opposed to the normal twelve you see in nearly all other unmounted units.

I think it would be rather surprising for them to waste time developing a barbarian alternative to the archer... The archer works just fine and it would be rather awkward anyway for a ranged unit to throw tomahawks. More likely, if they were going to do anything, they'd just "barbarize" the archer unit, similar to how the Brute is a barbarized warrior.

I think it would be rather surprising for them to waste time developing a barbarian alternative to the archer... The archer works just fine and it would be rather awkward anyway for a ranged unit to throw tomahawks. More likely, if they were going to do anything, they'd just "barbarize" the archer unit, similar to how the Brute is a barbarized warrior.

I'm not saying it's a barbarian exclusive unit. I'm saying it's a generic unit that the barbarian will now use in lieu of the archer. Everyone will be able to build it like the warrior and archer.

I believe there is going to be a new tech in the early game and the throwing axe unit will be included in it.

I will throw my two cents in maybe it is a new unit like literal new unit maybe they are going to put a whole new unit tree/path. You never know.

I will throw my two cents in maybe it is a new unit like literal new unit maybe they are going to put a whole new unit tree/path.
It might be a range-1 ranged unit for all we know, possibly upgrading in time to Gatling Guns and Machine Guns in time. I for one wouldn't mind seing actual range-2 upgrades to the Crossbows in later eras.

It would make sense if they are part of the American Civil War scenario so they were planning on using them anyway. An Archer replacement for Barbs also works because it's very early in the game when Barbs are most likely to appear. The overwhelming number of Barbs I counter are Brutes, Archers, and Spears. They could use a Spear replacement, but it's a good start.

I have doubts about being a ranged unit. Ranged units are about directed fire. While you can throw a tomahawk, it's primarily a melee weapon. No one stood in a group and chucked tomahawks one after another at their enemies. They aren't bows, they aren't javelins, they aren't slings. They just don't work like that.

Secondly, as I be said many times already, it is a fabricated screenshot. The creator of it could make that swordsman damaged by typing in a few numbers. The damage means nothing.

I dont think they would make a unit for barbs only that is named after something from native american people. it would seem like labeling native americans as barbarians.

Some thoughts:

1. The screenshot could be forged, so it's hardly a proof. But it looks quite logical - everything fits the time of classic era, swordsmen seem to guard caravan, etc. So we could try to speculate around.

2. The unharmed status of unit could mean what it's ranged, or it has some special healing ability. Both things are possible.

3. The unit looks too themed with native americans to be a general one. I believe it's a unique one.

So, the variants are:

1. A native american civ with special ability somehow related to barbarians.

2. This unit could have a special ability - it could be given to barbarians. I foresee a lot of use for it.

3. Since the screenshot is early, there could be just wrong colors for the civ.

Secondly, as I be said many times already, it is a fabricated screenshot. The creator of it could make that swordsman damaged by typing in a few numbers. The damage means nothing.

Why would they?

Top Bottom