BTS Roleplaying Challenge: Jamaica!

you settled on the Gems?!?!?!? that is a huge :smoke: if ever i saw one

Spoiler :
My concern was getting enough food. If you look at the screenshot, the gems were the best spot to (a) minimize water tiles (b) get both the cows and the clams and (c) get as many of the land tiles in the BFC as possible, while still remaining coastal and having fresh water. Yeah, I gave up 5 commerce to do that, but without the extra food I would have been unable to grow as quickly or as large.

I normally hate settling on resources, but I have learned the hard way that it's best to settle really good cities, rather than trying to fit cities within a OCP placement or adhering to some other artificial rule. The gems hill was the best overall spot. But I'd love to hear what you would have done -- that's why I post the games.

Redemption

Peace had broken out in Jamaica, but as Slobbamon had learned, the games of nations continued even when there was no open war. It seemed as though no country could simply *be* with another, he thought. One must always dominate the other. This troubled him to no end.

Every time United Jamaica tried to build a special project, a lasting monument to the glory of Jah, Mali was there first with something bigger and better. The Jamaicans were getting irritated as well by the superior attitude of the Mali, who laughed at the blend of African, American, and Aztec rhythms known as Jamaican Reggae. The people of Mansa Musa considered themselves and their culture of pure African stock and therefore superior to the backward Jamaicans.

The Mali attitude was typified in their last state visit. Mansa Musa himself had come to Da Shine.

"Welcome to the Sacred Stele, brotha Mansa," Slobbamon began, and offered him a tray of sweet fried plantains.

The leader of Mali, a regal man with a traditional headdress, looked askance at the offering of food as well as the Jamaican's casual attire and wild dreadlocks. "You have something from the homeland. Something of Africa. We require it," he stated flatly.

"We are always willing to trade."

"We need your elephants. They are a symbol of our African identity and their ivory is most valuable. Will you give it to us, or must we fight you for it?"

Slobbamon shook his head sadly. "Why do you treat your brotha like dis? Are we not both men of freedom? Would you make Jamaica your slave, Mansa?"

The leader of Mali left without another word. News of Mansa Musa's demands spread throughout the nation, and many were openly outraged at the arrogance of the Mali.

"We must search the islands for the mystic herb," he said to the Council. "Only trew divination with the herb can we understand Jah, and understand ourselves. The herb will bring peace."

The ships sailed forth, led by Captain Reefah, who tooked upon the task as a mission of life and death. The scorchmark in his quarters was the only remainder of his precious stash.

Spoiler :
We had teched up to Astronomy and upgraded Captain Reefah's galley and others to galleons, and got with the exploring. In the meantime, our expenses continued to rise; having holdings on three separate islands was taking its toll, though I didn't see the point of colonizing even the three-city island I'd captured from Monty.

Mansa was also seriously out-teching us, and him reaching Liberalism first didn't help. I had to pull a few trades with the agreeable Willem just to remain somewhat close with Mali.

I hadn't yet switched the slider over from teching to culture. I wanted to get a few more techs done that would hopefully see Jamaica to the end game.

While the ships were out on their quest for the herb, the Council met regarding relations with Mali.

"We need to protect ourselves," Topsy counseled. "Information of Mali's plans at the least, while we learn how to fight in dis new age."

"I got just the mon," Mistah Pookie said. "My great nephew, Charles. He be good at finding tings out. Dey call him Sneaky Mon."

"Mebbe he can hear tings to help us," Slobbamon agreed.

Captain Reefah was getting despondent. Everything was so hard without the herb. He was unfocused. And irritable.

The ship, refitted but still looking as if it needed serious repairs, rounded a peninsula occupied by a small tribe. Coming past the bay, he had an odd feeling. "Head for the shore!" he yelled, nose in the air.

He paddled the rowboat furiously, heedless to the cresting waves. Once ashore, he ran to the edge of a wooded area.

Captain Reefah's cry of elation was piercing. "IT IS HERE!!"

There were more volunteer settlers to go to the site of the mystic herb than there was room on the ship. Within a few months, regular shipments of the herb were made to United Jamaica, stoking musician, artist, and citizen alike to greater heights of creativity and spirituality.

With the herb, too, came a greater sense of national pride. A new flag was woven, symbolizing United Jamaica's African roots, slave experience, and unification. A group of militaristic, spiritual nationalists, the Buffalo Soldiers, came to prominence, wielding weapons of gunpowder with uncanny precision and speed.

"Not again," Topsy said.

News of the Mali's latest marvel -- a great temple to stimulate creative and spiritual thought -- came to Da Shine while Jamaica's own temple was not halfway done. Much hard work had been put into the project, and many were despondent. The world travelers from England and the Netherlands would now be journeying to Timbuktu instead of Da Shine.

Simon, the leader of the Buffalo Soldiers, spoke up. "Jah cries for his people, Slobbamon. Something must be done! Mansa Musa has turned his back on his cousins!"

The leader of Jamaica counseled patience, but was, for the first time, outvoted in the Council. "I should not wear dis," he said, and placed the crown of state on the table, leaving to pray in the Sacred Stele.

"Jamaica will have Redemption," Simon yelled, placing the crown on his head. Musta the fleet. Gather the Buffalo Soldiers! For the glory of Jah!"

The War of Redemption was decisive. Corps of Buffalo Soldiers stormed Mali's island holdings to the north, west, and south of Jamaica. Stunned at the ferocity of the typically-docile Jamaicans, the garrison defenders were hopelessly outgunned and outnumbered. In the end, six settlements were captured or destroyed, putting a major dent in Mansa Musa's southern adventures. Most of Timbuktu's fleet was at the bottom of the great ocean, as well.

Slobbamon returned to the council in a few months, his first return since his sudden abdication.

"It is time to end dis war, Simon. Cousin killing cousin cannot be for good. The Mali have seen their sins. We have our redemption, mon. Let us end dis."

"We can spread Jah's will to the shores of Mali herself!"

Slobbamon regarded the younger man with pity. "Do you not see the whipscars on your own back, mon? Would you give dem to another? No. It is time for no war. It is a time for thought, and music, and meditation. Let no mon wear dis crown again."

The Council had seen the toll of the war ... many Buffalo Soldiers died in foreign lands spreading the word of Jah in the War of Redemption. It was time for peace.

Spoiler :
Aside from RP reasons, Mansa's knights made it tough for me to consider a campaign against the Mali homeland. Also, I had not yet learned Steel and would need cannons to puncture his beefy cultural defenses.

When Mansa Musa made his next state visit, he was more subdued, and brought small gifts as a token of peace. He even shared a spliff of the mystic herb with the Council. At length, he revealed the purpose of his visit.

"We consider the city of Awdeghost part of the Mali homeland. We ask for its return."

It was no secret that the island city was greatly resisting Jah's forces and had no desire to be a part of United Jamaica.

After a brief discussion, the Council ruled. "We return it to Mali, den, as a sign of good fait'. Let no blood be spoiled again between our great nations, mon," Topsy said.

Spoiler :
As you can see, I couldn't deal with Mansa's culture on the island. I managed to evacuate everyone, though, before handing it over.

The rest of the round was devoted to maxing out the culture slider and finishing the cultural multiplier buildings (cathedrals and the Hermitage in Washington). I used five great artists towards the end game to culture bomb Washington and Fishin' Ground. However, I was falling behind on tech and power rating as the years slowly passed by. On several turns I had a crash Buffalo Soldier creating program, just to raise my defenses. This got a little pricey towards the end, since I was running pacifism (to help generate more great artists), but it was worth it. Each of my legendary cities had about 12 Buffalo Soldiers at the end.

The return of Awdeghost to Mali's rule, like many things of importance in Jamaica, became part of the music and art of the land. As the years rolled by, the pacifist nature of the people (and the mellowness induced by the herb) led to a great acceptance of Jamaica throughout the world. Visitors came and left, changed forever by the songs and sights -- but mostly by the people, whose spirits reflected their struggles and victories, their sadness and their joys.

Reggae was everywhere, and in every nation, it had been adapted and mutated to fit the local tastes. Visual media of Jamaica, too, was found throughout the world in galleries and the homes of the poor and wealthy alike. Jamaica held the passions of the world, and a world once ruled by the whip was now permeated with harmony and simple reflection -- and the unmistakable odor of burning herb.

We managed to win a cultural victory while obeying our RP rules, which forced us into a war with Washington (our former slave master) and Mansa Musa, due to his poor treatment of us. We found some of the mystic herb, and used our Buffalo Soldiers to fight our war of redemption.

I welcome any comments you may have. Thank you for reading!

Each of the other two cities has multiple seafood tiles and good land underneath the jungle. Not a bad start at all!
Agreed -- not a bad island start! :cool:

you settled on the Gems?!?!?!? that is a huge :smoke: if ever i saw one

Spoiler :
My concern was getting enough food. If you look at the screenshot, the gems were the best spot to (a) minimize water tiles (b) get both the cows and the clams and (c) get as many of the land tiles in the BFC as possible, while still remaining coastal and having fresh water. Yeah, I gave up 5 commerce to do that, but without the extra food I would have been unable to grow as quickly or as large.

I normally hate settling on resources, but I have learned the hard way that it's best to settle really good cities, rather than trying to fit cities within a OCP placement or adhering to some other artificial rule. The gems hill was the best overall spot. But I'd love to hear what you would have done -- that's why I post the games.
I think I get what you mean, slobberinbear.

Of course, even if that weren't probably true, I'd say a :smoke: move or two would be expected, given this RP... :)

We managed to win a cultural victory while obeying our RP rules, which forced us into a war with Washington (our former slave master) and Mansa Musa, due to his poor treatment of us. We found some of the mystic herb, and used our Buffalo Soldiers to fight our war of redemption.

I welcome any comments you may have. Thank you for reading!
Not bad! :cool::clap: I'll have to try a cultural victory sometime when I have a bit more [civ4] experience.

BTW, these threads are making me want to get :bts: in the not-to-distant future... :D

That was a nice story.

Post-facta suggestion: maybe choosing the second civ met as your former masters, giving them more time to settle, would have made the war more epic?

Top Bottom