Interest in New Game?

DNK

Even if you don't want to take part in this game, you could use this thread to network another game with up-to-date info.

Curious who would be interested in a 4-player game for BtS (maybe 5 if desired).

I was hoping to find people with a similar skill level as myself: able to beat noble-monarch in SP, with no one who can regularly beat-emperor/crush-monarch and no one that can't regularly beat noble to keep things roughly fair. I'm a regular prince winner (80% or so).

Looking for 1 turn/day in the long-run, with a scheduled marathon session within the first week or two to pound through the "enter doldrums" so we can skip a month or two of "xyz BC sent."

Open to FFA or team game. I would prefer standard map size at least, with perhaps huge at least for FFA.

If you're interested, respond with this form, and I will set up a player list by Sunday if possible:

GMT:
Previous PBEM/multiplay experience:
Skill level in SP (level normally played and %age games won):
FFA or team preference (if any):
Leader preference (top 3, in order):
Map type preference (if any):
Map size preference (if any):
Specific options (not) desired:
Other info/concerns:

GMT: -6:00 (+9:00 in ~6mo likely)
Previous PBEM/multiplay experience: 3 PBEMs, all vanilla. Replacement -> 2nd place in Praetorian 4-way FFA; ongoing Double Team 4P 2-team coop->versus; ongoing The Great Game 4P 2-team versus.
Skill level in SP (level normally played and %age games won): Prince, ~80%; Monarch, semi-successful.
FFA or team preference (if any): Either.
Leader preference (top 3, in order): Elizabeth, Alexander, Gandhi
Map type preference (if any): Anything balanced.
Map size preference (if any): Standard+
Specific options (not) desired: No barbs, no advanced starts.
Other info/concerns: Nope.

GMT: -5
Previous PBEM/multiplay experience: None! Would like to try it out, so lean towards a team game so I can talk strategy and ask advice.
Skill level in SP (level normally played and %age games won): Noble ~90%, just moving up to Prince
FFA or team preference (if any): Team, see above
Leader preference (top 3, in order): None really, financial
Map type preference (if any): none
Map size preference (if any): Standard but open to larger
Specific options (not) desired: No advanced start
Other info/concerns: As I said, complete multi-player noob but interested in getting into it. Was a Civ III 80%+ Emperor player (SP) but didn't have a computer powerful enough to run Civ IV until recently.

I'll play!

GMT -8
Some PBEM and Pitboss....never won anything, but lots of fun!
SP mode I win on Emperor70% maybe...Immortal, 1-2 wins total
Never played FFA anything, have played some team MP, either works for me I guess.
Leader....not sure, I like Random start.
One of the more balanced maps..Donut maybe, or Inland Sea
Map Size relative to the number of players
Options....don't care
Other info...Let's play and have some fun!

I'm up for some PBEM fun!!

0 GMT
A few PBEMS and couple of Pitboss however hopelessly outplayed by MP vets.
SP Monarch confident, Emp pretty confident, Imm outside chance.
With 4 FFA prefered as teams will mean little diplo. Although if idea of this game to develop maybe idea to have Me+1 v's Ronnie+1 as we appear most confident SP's.
Other options I'm not that fussed about as same for everyone.
Civ/Leader - Depends if we go FFA or team.
I will say though that with only 4 civs small map will be best standard at a push with high seas. Otherwise too much land.

Alright, well that's 4 :)

I also like talking strategy with a teammate, although I've gotten amazing strat talk and cooperation in an FFA game also, but I'm not sure that's the norm. Personally, two major draws for PBEM (that SP lacks) are being able to discuss strats and cooperate. I am interested in trying FFA again, if that's what's wanted, since it's more challenging and offers human diplo (which SP also lacks), but I think given the significant skill discrepancies it might be better to go for teams.

Any further comments on this, or would teams be fine for everyone? It's a major game decision, so I want to make sure we're all happy with it before starting.

Now map size/type...

First, do we want AIs? Mighty, you seem to be implying we not include them and go with a smaller map. I was thinking we'd do a standard map with the standard AI count (maybe an even number depending on map). All my PBEMs up to now have had AIs (AI teams in the newest), so I perhaps wrongly assumed we'd have them also.

Second, for the map type: I actually haven't tried donut yet for map type, and it's something that would be fun I think. I've also played inland sea and liked it. Either of those is fine by me. Inland sea might be easier to set up since it has fewer options.

I personally DON'T like AI's in a MP game. But I would be open to trying with them I guess.

Donut is just 1 of those map types that assures people start with roughly even terrain.

I'm definitely on board for a team game, given my lack of experience, strategizing would be nice. However, if FFA is chosen, I will still play.

I'm cool with or without AI's and a balanced map sounds like a good thing to me.

I've never actually played a game without AIs, which makes me want to try one without them. Since it looks like 2 strongly against AIs, we'll keep them out and keep the map size to small.

As to donut vs inland sea, I prefer inland. There's less balance in starts and tiles, but there's also a lot less monotony. If you want to do a basic grassland map, I'd greatly prefer flat arboria over donut. That might be more balanced and fun than inland.

I agree with no AI's as only a few will give too much advantge to team/persons who first make contact. Too many and diltues the MP experience and might as well play a succession SP.
Only option I think we need to discuss is whether to have standard or balanced resources?? standard allows more realistic choices and develops how to deal without certain strat resources. However, Balanced allows strategy rather than luck on resources to win the day. Personally I think balanced for a 2 v 2 but am ok with standard on FFA.

Now, I would think standard for teams would be better since with 2v2 the decision-making process could be shared, which goes along with the cooperative nature of that setup. That and the fact that with two players on the team getting shafted over strategic resources is less likely than lone players in FFA.

On the first note, inland_sea would also make for more interesting decisions, as both arboria and donut present far fewer dilemmas for strategy, city placement, etc, I think. If we go teams, going inland_sea (or some similar map like pangaea solid) fits well with the setup.

Do we get to pick our civs???...or are we going random?

You can go random if you want, but I'd like to pick leaders and civs.

GMT: +1.00 GMT
Previous PBEM/multiplay experience: None, but I'd like to try!
Skill level in SP (level normally played and %age games won): Monarch, 75% wins
FFA or team preference (if any): FFA
Leader preference (top 3, in order): doesn't really matter to me
Map type preference (if any): Fractal
Map size preference (if any): Dependent on number of players
Specific options (not) desired:
Other info/concerns:
Looking forward to trying a PBEM game!

Fractal is NOT a great choice for MP games as the terrain can very widely which leads to very unbalanced starts. Imagine 1 player getting a nice grassy riverside start and another starting next to tundra. Great if you are the riverside guy/gal :)....not so much if you are the tundra guy/gal :(.

Ok, I understand.
Never played MP before.
I'll go along with whatever you guys think is best.
Standard resources does sound more interesting then balanced, though.

I have never played WITH balanced resources...

There needs to be a bit surprise after all. No copper = go for IW or head for Feud for LB's!

Agreed on both counts. Don't forget about the curse that is the isolated start. Imagine that + PBEM....

I'm going to give this discussion a few more days and then try to finalize things. If you've got any burning issues, now's the time ;)

The only issue I see is picking leaders, or going random.

IF we get to pick and we are going with a TEAM game, I would like the opportunity to discuss options with my partner ;).

If we go FFA, I have never played it, so picking wouldn't seem to make a difference.

Top Bottom