Defense bonus

Comrade Pedro

High Partisan Commander
A simple question:

Are any defensive bonus in any type of terrain?

Another one:

And fortifying? Does it gives 50% of defensive bonus like the other civ games?

Jungles, Mountains, Hills, Defending across a river, all offer a terrain bonus...I might be missing one...the size of the city being attacked also offers a defensive bonus increasing with the population...

Fortifying does offer a defensive bonus, although off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you exactly, but 50% sounds right...

With the default rules I believe all terrain has a bonus, even plains and grasslands, but its only like 10% or something.

You can also have your workers build fortresses (and baricades in Conquests). They give the defending units a defensive bonus in addition to the terrain bonus, plus they give a Zone of Control, which translates into a free shot at enemy units.

+10% - Plains, Grassland, Desert, Tundra
+25% - Jungle, Forest
+50% - Hills
+100% - Mountains
+ 25% - Fortified Unit
+ 50% - Fortress
+ 0% - Town < 6 pop.
+ 50% - City 6 to 12 pop.
+100% - Metropolis >12 pop.

This means that a unit with a defense value of , for example, 10 (it's only to geting the numbers more easier) and are in a mountain and also are fortified have +125% defense, so it's final defense valor it's 22,5?

Comrade Pedro:

I believe you're correct. An xx/10 unit fortified in the mountains should be effectively a xx/22.5 unit.

Can anyone confirm that the bonuses are added first, not calculated sequentially? (which would yield xx/25)

What about towns built on plains, grassland or hills. Do they get the population bonus plus the terrain bonus? Can you build on hills or does it go straight to grassland as when building on forest?

How much extra defense do the walls and citizen defense improvements offer. At what population point does the walls cease to assist in defense anymore. If the city shrinks back in size do the walls become useful again?

IIRC, Yes, towns retain the defesive bonuses of the underlying terrain. Technically, forest and jungle are really just other types of tiles, with plants on top which get cut down when you build a city, but a hill is a hill, and stays a hill when you build a city on top (and btw, I don't think clearing forest automaically converts to grassland. I THINK forests can be on tundra as well.)

Walls add 50% to defense; they become ineffective beyond size 6. AFAIK they stay in the city even when it grows beyond size 6, so if the city ever dips back below 6, it should kick in again.

Someone else can answer this: whats citizen defense? Is that one of the [ptw] or [c3c] additions?

citizen defense: good question, I think it is their chance of surving bombardement attacks

Originally posted by Comrade Pedro
This means that a unit with a defense value of , for example, 10 (it's only to geting the numbers more easier) and are in a mountain and also are fortified have +125% defense, so it's final defense valor it's 22,5?

I believe it would be 24 as 100% of 10 is 10 plus the 25% of ten which is 4 and it equals 24.

But then again the fifth grade is quite far away and maybe I said it wrong....I dunno

Cornflake, i think you are really bad in math here :)
I put here the numbers:

100% of 10 ----------- 10
25% of 10 ----------- X

X=25x10/100<=>
<=>X=250/100<=>
<=>X=2,5

See? A free math lesson about the rule of direct proporcion :D
(man, don't take this as a bad intention)

Top Bottom