Language translations for leader sayings

Is Old Javanese very different from its modern form?

Yeah, even I have asked my relatives which two of them are Javanese speaker. They really have no idea what Gajah Madah says in the game :crazyeye:

Just FYI, we have been colonized by The Dutch in more than 350 ing years! so it's quite make sense to see a huge Dutch influence in our language.

Old Javanese are mostly similar to kromo inggil dialect, the most polite form of Javanese, probably still only spoken in keraton (sort of Palace) of Jogjakarta. I can understand some bit of what Gajah Mada said since some words also appear in modern Javanese but can't be sure about that

Regarding Alexandros, while it is incomplete, I believe he says this in the request

"φιλε, ____ σοι ταυτ' αγαθα?" (Friend, ___ to you things good). At the blank part, it could be various things. It sounded like τοκεῑ, which supposedly means near delivery, but then that's 3rd person singular (or 2nd person imperative, which doesn't make sense) I thought of the possibility of the blank being two words, τω and either κε or κει, neither making sense to me.

Also, for the player declaring war on Alexandros (AlexanderAttacked), I believe this is

"μέντοι εγω και καμνω της ειρηνης" (As a matter of fact I also grow tired of peace)

:D
Holy cow δοκει was the word I was missing. If that's the case, we get
φιλε, δοκει σοι ταυτ' αγαθα (Friend, does this seem good to you?)

HateNo1 I believe is ταυτα ουχ ηδύ, (lit: thing is not pleasant)

As for the HateNo2, I hear σπουδαιος, but can't grasp the other part, since what I hear seems like ουκει, but no such word exist.

HateΝο3 seems like συ(γ)γνοθι, which I presume is a bad or mispronunciation of the imperative form of Συγγιγνωσκω, meaning pardon. (Pardon me?)

So our current progress with Megas Alexandros is
Intro: "Hello, stranger! I am Alexandros, son of kings and grandson of the gods! (Χαιρε ξενε. Αλεξανδρος ειμι, υιος των ανακτων και εκγονος των θεων!)"
Attacked: As a matter of fact I too grow tired of peace. (μέντοι εγω και καμνω της ειρηνης) (Bad grammar, since καμνω requires its object to be at accusative form. Thus της ειρηνης should be την ειρηνην)
DeclareWar: You are in my way. You must be destroyed. (ει εν μοι ὁδῳ, δεῖ _______ ει(?)) Currently I'm thinking εξαιρειν (and assume they're contracting the sound to make the ε silent), but what I hear sounds like si-ta-nei(n)
Defeated: "You have somehow became my undoing. What kind of beast are you? (απολεσας με πως ει! ποιος θηρ ει; )" (Also bad grammar: με is the accusative form of εγω, but to deliver the correct meaning (that is, my (undoing)), it should be in the genitive form, μου.)
Neutral Hello: "You are being granted (an audience) (χαρίζεσθε)"
Neutral Let's Hear it 01: "Go On. (Προσερχου.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: I'm listening. (Ακουω.)
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: "Yes? (Ναι?)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 04: "Come. (Ελθε.)"
Neutral Yes 01: "Certainly! (σαφως!)"
Neutral Yes 02: "(I like It) very much. (Μαλιστα.)
Neutral Yes 03: "Excellent!/For the very best! (Αριστα!)"
Neutral No 01: "Certainly not! (ου σαφως!)"
Neutral No 02: "We will stay away from it (ἀπεχώμεθα)"
Neutral No 03: "It is necessary to refuse" (δεῖ μη ἀποδέχεσθαι)"
Hate Hello: "What? (Τι?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 01: "You Say. (Ερ - Λεγεις.)"
Hate Let's Hear it 02: "And? (Και?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 03: "Come on. (Επελθε.)"
Hate Yes 03: "Well done. (ευ γε)"
Hate No 01: "This is not pleasant! (Ταυτα ουχ ηδυ!)"
Hate No 02: "You are not being earnest! (σπουδαῖος ουκ ει!)" (very tricky, since there is another σπουδαῑος, with the only difference in accent in the iota, which means quick)
Hate No 03: "Pardon me? (σύγγνωθι; )" (Bad pronunciation, as the two γ requires it to be pronounced ng, e.g. φαλαγγος pronounced phalangos)
Request: "Friend, does this seem good to you? (φιλε, δοκει σοι ταυτ' αγαθα; )"

LATE EDIT: for some reason, Alexandros here pronounces ξ improperly: In the intro, it sounds like a χ for some unexplicable reason. Likewise, DeclareWar is indeed most likely εἶ ἔν μοι ὁδῷ, δεῖ σ'εξαιρεῖν because the t-k' sound similarity.

Last edited:
Hello, Morningcalm. Since I am Greek, I can help you input the correct accents on Alexander's lines, because you have none. We always use accents on every word that's more than 1 syllable long, so it'll be good to have those written in the right way.

Intro: "Hello, stranger! I am Alexandros, son of kings and grandson of the gods! (Χαῖρε, ξένε! Ἀλέξανδρος εἰμί, υἱός των ἀνάκτων και ἔκγονος τῶν θεῶν!)"

I will post the rest tomorrow. Sorry for the necromancy, but I feel like this wonderful language deserves to be written the way it should.

My source is an ancient Greek dictionary, so it should be correct.

Hello all, after a long hiatus, I am back! I have updated the parent post with the most recent edits; let me know if anything seems off or if I overlooked something. I despair at ever finding people who speak fluent Nahuatl or Yucatec. :(

Notably, we are also missing Pocatello, though he has some lines transliterated on the Civ wiki: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Pocatello_(Civ5) (Note how the line meanings are absent).

Results of my attempt to translate Askia's lines using an online Zarma dictionary (which is limited in its scope), note that Zarma's word order is SOV

Intro: Ay ga ti Askia Songhai, ???????????????????, amma bay ??????????? kubay ????? kulu??????? ?????
(I am+Askia+Songhai ??????????, but/although+to know/recognize?????to meet/welcome???? all????????)
Hear it 02: Ni ???? ne (You ???? to say)
Neutral Yes 01: Ay ti ???? (I+to be+????)
Neutral Yes 02: Ah'hoh! (Yes!)
Hate Hello: a hm followed by possibly gumo (means “a lot, very”)
Hate Hear It 01: either Tol? (And!) or To! (Well!)
Hate Hear it 02: Sobay! (Continue!)
Hate Yes 01: Ay ?????? gumo (I ??????? a lot/very)
Hate Yes 02: Ay??? I ??????
Hate No 01: Wane waw sinda lakkal! (For+to insult+to not have/without (or negation (si)+nda (and, if, with)+to pay attention/to be intelligent)
Hate No 02: Ni goko ???? ( You+to hit on the head ?????) Basically Askia is saying you got hit on the head, if this is correct
Attacked: Follokom??, ni nuune bore ????? (Crazy person???, you +fire/flame+ people?????) compare this to the XML line "Fool. You have doomed your people to fire and destruction "
Attacked Option 1:Ni ga ton wane waasi, Ay ze nda no
(You+then,to, about (regarding)+to burn+for+quickly, I+to swear+and, if, with+to be)
compare to xml line " You will burn for this, I swear it."
Declares War: Araŋ ???? bu wone???????
(You (pl) ?????? to die+this one?????)
Request: Ni ?????? muraadu ????? (You ???????? need ????)
Peaceful: Ay ????? kande ????? yaamo wo ban ???? (I ????? to bring ???? useless+this+end (to) ?????)
compare to XML line "We thank you for bringing an end to this pointless war."
Defeated: Wo ??? guna,????????? , wo ????? kani zama se ?????heeni bu??? wo faaba
(This+?? +to look/watch ??????? , this ???? to sleep+because+?????the sound of+to die???+this +to aid/help/save) This one, I'm not entirely sure of. It definitely contains "zama se" (which means "because")

And here are the results of my attempts to translate Montezuma's lines using an online Classical Nahuatl website, Basic word order is VSO, might be different for modern Nahuatl languages

Intro: Nic-??????? Moctezuma, impero ???? inno las Aztecas! La????????tlein??????
(I-?????? Moctezuma, I rule ???? that+the+Aztecs! The+?????+what+?????)
Neutral Hear it 01/Hate Hear it 03: Oc tei ??? (besides, this, another, still, even, first, furthermore)+te- )2nd person, singular pronoun you)
Neutral Hear it 02: Nic-caqui (I+to listen) so "I'm listening"
Neutral Yes 01: Melahuac! (true, right!)
Neutral yes 02/03: Hueli????? (yes ????)
Neutral No 01/03/Hate No 01: Melahuac amo! (true,right+no) so "Not true/right!"
NeutralNo02: Amo! (No!)
Neutral no gesture/Hate No 03: Icuaquinon (at that moment, then) or Icuac (when, then) ???????
Hate Hello: Tlein (what)????tic (you (singular)-nequi (to want, need)? (so What do you want? basically)
Hate Hear it 01: Tleino? (What?)
Hate Hear it 02: Tlein ????? itoa (What ????? to say/speak)
Hate Yes 01: ????? hueli qui qualli-ca (yes+it+good/good thing-?) so basically he's saying It is good (thing)
Hate Yes 02: Nic-nemilia quema (I+to think about/consider+yes/it is true)
Hate Yes 03: Hueli qui qualli! (yes+it+good/good thing)
Hate No 02: Cheneh chilia ??????? (very+ applicative/causative suffix ?????)
Attacked: Hueli qui qualli! ??????? Ma in nen eztli, moch la-loca ni ameya ???? hueiatl (yes+it+good/good thing! ?????? let, may, whether+ 2nd person plural+in vain, for nothing +blood, all+the+suffix which turns a passive verb into noun+this/these+to flow ????? river/sea)
compare to XML line "Excellent! Let the blood flow in raging torrents!"
Declares War: Xi-miqui (or conjugation of the verb)-can (plural ending) (command form+to die-plural ending) so basically Monty is commanding the player to die :lol:
Request: Chico ??????? tleino ti-mictiliā, nozo ????? chico ???? tleino mo- ???? apano-??
(To one side ??????? What+you+to kill, or ???? to one side ???? what+your-????)
compare to XML line Accept this agreement or suffer the consequences"
Peaceful: tlein-ca quin-in ???? nic-??? mictia ????? pilli-tlaca inōn-ica nic-??? la noce ???? tleino ica ????
(what-??? for the first time ????? I ???? to kill????? people+that, those-with/through I-???? the+or??? what+with/through ?????
note: yepohualipilli means “one thousand”, so he’s definitely citing a number of people that he will kill/sacrifice, probably “ten thousand”)
compare to XML line: Curses! I will sacrifice ten thousand citizens to expiate this humiliation!

Here are the translated lines for Hiawatha in the Civ wiki

Attacked: You evil creature! My braves will slaughter you! (Ise nesa tá:ksa! Ta diskaregette aye'tin nuá:ria!)
Hate Let's Hear It 02: I'm listening. ('Ya'sa tasudera.)
Hate No 01: You cannot be serious! ('Ya'ne dayenenas.)
Hate Yes 01: Very well. (Fá:gi'wahi.)
Intro: Greetings, Stranger. I am Hiawatha, speaker for the Iroquois. We seek peace with all but we do not shrink from war. (Skana'gá:. Í:naya Hiá:wà:'tha kiehandese. Ne'de yò:ngwe te nuyá:n, nero dinohsun.)
Neutral Let's Hear It 01: Yes? ('Aw?)
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: I'm listening. ('Ya'sa tasudera.)
Neutral No 01: No. ('Ya.)
Neutral Yes 01: Very well. (Fá:gi'wahi.)

And the one's for Gajah Mada

Javanese pronunciation often replaces a sounds with o sounds (represented by the å character).
Attacked: How dare you! Really insignificant as well! (ꦤꦶꦂ ꦠꦸꦲꦸ ꦠꦸꦲꦸ ꦮꦫꦶ ꦠ ꦏꦶꦠ! ꦤꦶꦂ ꦢꦲꦠ꧀ ꦄꦥꦁ ꦒꦸꦁꦏꦸꦤꦁ! / Nir tuhu-tuhu wari tå kitå! Nir dahat apaŋguŋ Kunaŋ!)
[Note: Kunaŋ means "even there" or "as well" in Old Javanese; its synonymous phrase in Bahasa Indonesian is adapun. Kitå means "you" in Old Javanese, but in Modern Javanese it means "us."]
Declares War: Don't mean to stand in your way, but I have to protect them! (lit. "Actually I didn't want to block your way, protecting is my purpose on them!") (ꦲꦁ ꦲꦭꦁ ꦆ ꦠ ꦏꦶꦠ꧈ ꦥꦴꦭ ꦤꦶ ꦔ꧀ꦲꦸꦭꦸꦤ꧀ ꦥꦿꦪꦕ ꦤꦶꦫ! / Haŋ halaŋi tå kitå, pāla ni ŋhulun prayåcå nirå!)
[Note: Nirå is a third-person pronoun which could mean "he," "she," "it," "his," "him," "her," "them," "their," or "they."]
Defeated: You may win, but you cannot win upon my spirit. (ꦤ꧀ꦢꦠꦤ꧀ ꦩꦼꦤꦁ ꦇ ꦏꦶꦠ ꦏꦸꦩꦭꦃꦄꦏꦼꦤ꧀ ꦄꦴꦠ꧀ꦩ ꦤꦶ ꦔ꧀ꦲꦸꦭꦸꦤ꧀꧉ / Ndatan mĕnaŋ i kitå kumalahakĕn ātmå ni ŋhulun.)
Hate Hello: Are you a (male concubine), stranger? (ꦄꦥ ꦠ ꦏꦪꦸ꧈ ꦠ? / Åpå tå kayu, tå?)
[Note: Kayu can mean either "wood" or "male concubine." He is also using to to address you (an honorific term for a stranger). There seems to be some irony in this sentence, which has a negative and positive in one.]
Hate Let's Hear It 01: Speak up! (ꦥꦸꦕꦫ! / Pucara!)
[Note: It's an old form of the word wicara, which means "speak."]
Hate Let's Hear It 02: What is it, fool? (ꦄꦥ ꦧꦺꦴꦧ? / Åpå, boba?)
[Note: Åpå means "What?"; boba might be an old form of the word bodho, which means "idiot."]
Hate Let's Hear It 03: You again! (ꦏꦶꦠ ꦩꦸꦮꦃ! / Kitå muwah!)
Hate No 02: What?! (ꦄꦥ?! / Åpå?!)
Hate No 03: How dare you! (ꦠꦸꦲꦸ ꦠꦸꦲꦸ ꦠꦁ! / Tuhu-tuhu taŋ!)
[Note: The meaning of taŋ is unclear; maybe it refers to "moron."]
Hate Yes 01: Welcome. (ꦫꦲꦪꦸ꧉ / Rahayu.)
[Note: "Welcome" is a literal translation; he might be trying to say something like "very well."]
Intro: You came before the great warrior, Gajah Mada from Nusantara! (ꦲꦁꦔꦢꦼꦒ꧀ ꦠ ꦏꦶꦠ꧈ ꦲꦶꦤꦂ ꦥꦏꦼꦤ꧀ ꦩꦲꦮꦶꦂꦪ ꦒꦗꦃ ꦩꦢ꧈ ꦫꦶꦁ ꦤꦸꦱ꧀ꦮꦤ꧀ꦠꦫ! / Haŋadĕg tå kitå, hinar pakĕn mahawiryå Gajah Mådå, rìŋ Nuswantårå!)
[Note: The word "Indonesia" did not exist in the past, so instead he uses the word "Nuswantårå," which means "Outer Island" (from the Majapahitan perspective) in Old Javanese. In modern Bahasa Indonesian, it means "Unified Archipelago."]
Neutral Hello: Greetings! (ꦧꦲꦒꦾ! / Bahagyå!)
[Note: Possibly an old form of bahagia, which means "happiness."]
Neutral Let's Hear It 01: Explain! (ꦧꦧꦂꦤ / Babarnå!)
[Note: Possibly an old form of papar, which means "expose" or "describe."]
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: Proceed. (lit. "Forward./Go on.") (ꦩꦱꦼꦴ꧉ / Masö.)
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: Yes. (lit. "We have term.") (ꦱꦺꦴꦗꦂ꧉ / Sojar.)
[Note: The word sojar is a combination of the words sa and ujar.]
Neutral No 01: No! (ꦠꦲꦩ꧀! /Taham!)
Neutral No 02: It's good for me. (ꦲꦭꦸꦭ ꦠꦸ ꦔ꧀ꦲꦸꦭꦸꦤ꧀꧉ / Halula tu ŋhulun.)
Neutral Yes 01: Welcome, stranger! (ꦫꦲꦪꦸ꧈ ꦠ! / Rahayu, tå!)
[Note: "Welcome" is a literal translation; he might be trying to say something like "very well."]
Peaceful: Let's stop fighting with me. (ꦫꦶꦁ ꦲꦪꦸꦤ꧀ ꦠ ꦄꦪꦺꦴ ꦮꦠꦸ ꦄꦥꦼꦫꦁ ꦭꦮꦤ꧀ ꦈꦭꦸꦤ꧀꧉ / Riŋ hayun tå ayo watu apĕraŋ lawan ulun.)
[Note: Pĕraŋ or praŋ means "fighting" or "tension" in Old Javanese. With the a- prefix as negation this could refer to ceasing fighting, or peace.]
Request: What if we make a deal (stream), you and me? (ꦄꦥꦫꦤ꧀ ꦠ ꦪꦤ꧀ ꦄꦭꦶꦭꦶꦫ꧀ꦮꦤ꧀꧈ ꦏꦶꦠ ꦭꦮꦤ꧀ ꦈꦭꦸꦤ꧀? / Aparan tå yan alilirwan, kitå lawan ulun?)
[Note: Aparan translates to "what" (with the a- prefix), yan translates to "if," and kitå lawan ulun translates to "you with me."]

Updated parent post with Gajah Mada and Hiawatha lines. I'll consider adding the others but it is a bit difficult to piece together some of the other translations visually. Good effort though! I admire your dictionary-fired fervor. :goodjob:

Here are some lines translated for Montezuma in a much easier to read manner, please add them.

Neutral Hear it 01: Besides/this/another/still/even, very much. (Oc tequi)

Neutral Hear it 02: I’m listening (Nic-caqui)

Neutral Yes 01: Certainly! (Melahuac!) (literally means “true, right”)

Neutral yes 02: Yes, it is good. (Hueli qui qualli ca.)

Neutral yes 03: Yes, it is good. (Hueli qui qualli.)

Neutral No 01/03/Hate no 01: Certainly not! (Melahuac amo!) (literally means not true/right)

NeutralNo02: No! (Amo!)

Hate Hello: What do you want? (Tleino tic nequi?)

Hate Hear it 01: What? (Tleino?)

Hate Hear it 02: What do you say? (Tleino ti qui itoa?)

Hate Yes 02: I consider it true. (Nic-nemilia quema!)

Hate Yes 03: Yes, it is good! (Hueli qui qualli!)

Attacked: Hueli qui qualli! Chicahuac -can”, ma in nen eztli!, moch la-loca ni-ameya “ateh” hueiatl!
(Yes, it is good! Strongly??????, let your blood flood in vain like a river!)

Compare to XML line, Excellent! Let the blood flow in raging torrents!

Declares War: Die, die, die! (Xi-miqa-can! Xi-miqa-can! Xi-miqa-can!)

Here are what I can translate of Pocatello's lines, not entirely sure of some of them, but they will have to do.There's the problem of Shoshone having dialectal differences. Plus it sounds like there are R sounds in some of the lines, but the Shoshone dictionary barely have R words.

Intro: I am Chief Pocatello. You have arrived in the thick of Shoshone land. (Ne Chief Pocatello. eN hanni bide na newe sogope bohonde.)

Attacked: I must make the foreigner go away! (Ne gemmai jykwi wai!)

DeclaresWar: Shoshone ????, we will kill the white man! (Newe ????, tamme(n) taipo en ????? beka ??? !)

Defeated: You ????? Shoshone/people (Enne(n) newe ?????)

Request: I listen ???? (Ne nanga ???) (they might have used the wrong line for the request)

Peaceful: Even though you grow evil, foreigner, I ???? spirit .(Emme(n) noo atsa ???? hanna ???, ? ne ene’en????)

HateHearit01: (Talk) quietly! (Teiku!)

HateHearit03: What ???? come? (Hii ??? o ki?)

HateHello: What ???? ! (Hinnan ?????!)

HateNo03: <angrily> No! (Ge!)

Hateyes01: Okay, ???? must (Maiku! ?????noo)

Hateyes02: Yes, I must! (Ne ha’a noo!)

Hateyes03: This is the one you ask for. (Ai&#818;se(n) end aa dun niwaih.)

NeutralHearit02: All come to listen. (No ki nanggahi.)

NeutralHearit03: Yes? (Ha’a?)

NeutralYes01: Yes, okay. (Haa, maiku.)

NeutralYes02: It shall be that way. (Sunniyu(n) do’i.)

NeutralNo01: No! (Ge!)

NeutralNo02: Perhaps, no. (Noo man ge.)

NeutralNo03: Be alert, foreigner. (Kemmai iya’ih.)

NeutralHello: Our ???? has arrive (Dahii ??? bide!)

Watch an actual Nahuatl or Shoshone speaker come along and correct me. :D

After the forum converted over, we lost a number of posts in the first page accumulating many transcriptions from the expansions. As these are mostly in the Civ wiki now, I will not be updating the parent post. I did not keep copies of the other posts on my computer, alas. :(

It seems like most of the translations on the front page got lost. Inadvertently?
Yea, when the forum switched format a lot of the text got borked. I think most of them ended up on Civ wiki though, and should still be accessible on the pages in this thread...

Actually, I meant that we lost posts. I thought we had almost all 43 leaders on the front page and now it's only Alexander-Hiawatha.

Hm, if the posts themselves have been lost that was likely due to the transition as well--I certainly didn't delete any posts. I guess that makes running it through an encoder somewhat moot since many of the translations were in the posts that came thereafter.

Top Bottom