Civ4 documentation wiki

rkyte said:
Edit: I've hit all of the files I can find. It also looks like someone else was going through and updating too, so hopefully we hit everything. There may be a few pages still floating around, but they can be dealt with as they are found.
That was me. :)

It looks good. Now all we really need besides articles, is a proper logo. ;)

vbraun said:
Now all we really need besides articles, is a proper logo. ;)
And here I thought I was being clever with that. :(

writing-replacable parts-fusion-education

It seemed appropriate somehow.

Edit: Wow, that totally didn't work. Any ideas on how to make the banner appear on the top instead of the corner?

It looks like the wiki expects a 135x135 image.

Hey look. Image uploads.

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Archer7om.gif

It would probably be a good idea to come up with a naming convention. Archer7om seems a bit off. Personally, I would go for either just Archer or maybeArcher_Icon or Icon_Archer.

Keep in mind there will be a whole bunch of these.

Edit: I figured out how to grab the icons from the dds files the game uses. I used it to "fix" the logo. I also uploaded a new archer graphic. I'm going to delete the other one.

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Archer_icon.png

Actually, it might not hurt to get permission from Firaxis before going upload crazy here.

I think Archer_Icon would be best. Then we could take a picture of it in game or in the civopedia and make it just Archer.

We still need to decide what categories should stay.

What are the various Cat:Civilizations for ? (Cat:America, Cat:Greece)

What is the use of Cat:Technologies since they are already listed (Technologies) ? We can add a link or a template on each page rather than using a category (that is probably more stressing for the server).

The same thing could be said for all the units cat. If we're only listing units coming with the game, do we really need multiple cat ?

There are 3 XML cat (Civ4 XML, XML, Notes on XML) plus a XML list (XML_files) plus a template linking the list and to a help page. (Template:XML). It's redundant.
Correct me if I'm wrong but we can't add new XML files in Civ-4 ? It's not like Python ? So we don't need auto-list like the categories. I would keep only the list page, the template and perhaps one cat (Notes on XML).

There are also a bunch of cat like this Category:Assets\XML\Civilizations. I guess they are a mistake and shouldn't be there. Or am I missing something ?

About the logo: I like the current one. We could replace the civ4=$ in the fourth icon with Wiki. MSTK's banner could go to the main page.

rkyte said:
Hey look. Image uploads.

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Archer7om.gif

It would probably be a good idea to come up with a naming convention. Archer7om seems a bit off. Personally, I would go for either just Archer or maybeArcher_Icon or Icon_Archer.

Keep in mind there will be a whole bunch of these.

Edit: I figured out how to grab the icons from the dds files the game uses. I used it to "fix" the logo. I also uploaded a new archer graphic. I'm going to delete the other one.

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Archer_icon.png

Actually, it might not hurt to get permission from Firaxis before going upload crazy here.

Please do not use PNGs. They do not load well in Internet Explorer.

EDIT: Hm, can you teach me how to extract those icons?

MSTK said:
EDIT: Hm, can you teach me how to extract those icons?
But.... But.... I've already saved a bunch of them as pngs. :cry:

All of the buttons are stored in the Art0.fpk file, and you'll have to unpack the file to get to them. See the bottom of this page for details.

Once you've done that, browse to the \Assets\Art\interface\buttons\ folder. They are all in there. The file format that they are stored in is .dds. You'll need a dds viewer to see them.

This utility will make it so that you can preview the dds files in Windows. Very convenient, but it won't do anything for saving them in another format.

If you have Photoshop just search Google for how to edit dds files. This is the easiest method.

If you don't have Photoshop (which I don't) download this little utility I'm sure there are others, but it's the first one I found.

The reason I saved as .png files is because each of these buttons uses an alpha channel to make the nice curved edges. .png preserves that.

Nice work!
The wiki is coming together quickly.

BTW, is this format alright?

Civ4LeaderHeadInfos

MSTK said:
Please do not use PNGs. They do not load well in Internet Explorer.
What exacly is the problem with PNGs in IE? The only thing I can find is that IE doesn't support alpha transparancy.

I loaded up the Archer_icon.png page in IE and the only thing I noticed was that the icon has a grey border around it. It's pretty much a given that it will have that border if you move to another format, so why not leave it as a png?

Alternatively, it looks like there is a snippet of javascript floating around that will fix this issue in IE. Is there a way to use that in the wiki to correct this for the majority of IE users?

It seems like a waste not to include the alpha transparancy in these images.

Edit: The javascript in question: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtest.htm

Okay, the Unit_Info template is basically complete.

I will be editing around the appearance (which still at this point sucks very, very much), but the syntax for using will remain the same.
So you can now spam it on all of the pages and it should work.

Remember that you need the image of the unit uploaded for it to show up correctly.

EDIT: Scratch that. Wait about five more minuts.
EDIT: Yup, it's ready now.

Top Bottom