Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading maps again would be nice. We can already find another Civ's Cap by embassies.

I would like a deeper tech-tree, the game is over before you know it. That or more expensive techs later on, so you really have to work hard to get those techs. Everything is too easy now.

Defiant AI, you work up your 5 CB's to take that city and you find lots of resistance in units. including chariot archers and spears/pikes. If the AI can explode 4 cities by turn 50, they should explode an army as well! A strong army!

As far as resources are concerned, the two most important ones currently missing are rice and maize. 3 continents lived off these...

After that, luxury resources could include cocoa, coffee, tea, jade, obsidian, seashells, feathers

With you on most of those, but feathers? really?

I think that's a pretty complete list of all the missing resources from the game. We could have saltpetre for gunpowder weapons, but I'm not sure it would be relevant for long enough in the game for it to be necessary.

Coffee, tea and cocoa especially are all historically extremely important to global trade and so would be nicely in keeping with the 'one world' idea.

One world, to me would implies increased importance on diplomacy, with a heavier reliance on "working together". Trade routes would therefore be the obvious addition, with perhaps a greater emphasis on the UN.

I would like to see the return of the caravan unit, since I think that would allow for some good raiding and trading type gameplay. As long as you don't have to actively create the units yourself that is.

On more diplomacy options, it would be nice to sort of, be able to decide on "sphere's of influence", so you can actually tell the AI things like "I view this land as mine, reserved for future settlement" (Settle a city without the getting the future "don't settle near us" message and also without the "covet your lands" penalty) or "Do not interfere with this city-state".

Would be quite nice to have a bit more depth to espionage. More ways for spies to generate XP would be nice, and more things for them to do in enemy cities and city-states; that side of the game could easily be embellished.

With you on most of those, but feathers? really?

I think that's a pretty complete list of all the missing resources from the game. We could have saltpetre for gunpowder weapons, but I'm not sure it would be relevant for long enough in the game for it to be necessary.

Coffee, tea and cocoa especially are all historically extremely important to global trade and so would be nicely in keeping with the 'one world' idea.

Exotic feathers were pretty big in mesoamerica. They were valued for their link to Quetzalcoatl in particular.

I'm not talking pigeon feathers here. Think more like peacock.

I expect the following:

- A revamped, vastly improved diplomatic system. This have been one of the Civ 5's weakest links. The original diplomatic sytem was downright atrocious, and our current one, albeit improved, is still sorely lacking. A diplomatic system able to create "butterfly effects", a more logical war cause and effect (cassus belli, anyone?) and a truthly engaging UN and diplomatic victory would be great additions to the series.

- A complex trade system. Following the idea of a more interconnected world, there have been quite good suggestions regarding trade systems in this very forums, from international trade routes to a 3 tier of manufactured goods type of system, there is a vast room for improvement on that regard, plus it would allow for adding more meat to the early game since international trade has existed far before international diplomacy or institutions.

- A way to twarth enemy victories while avoiding direct conflict. I still don't know what it could be: improved spyionage, corporations, whatever, but I would like to be able to become a sneaky bastard and hurt my enemies (and allys) without restorting to "I'm hitting you with mah stick".

- More civs, obviously. Portuguese, Indonesia, Kjmer, Mali, Summer and Zulu would be my favourite picks :D

- Even more special abilities / improvements / units / buildings for already existing civs. Because diferenciation is always an awesome thing and makes for a varied gameplay.

- More social policies. Seriously. Get something for us culture mongers.

It is quite funny to see so many "what I whish"-posts in this thread, although the OP explicitly stated:

Let's try and keep the thread to what you THINK we'll see in the expansion, rather than what you want; we already have plenty of those threads.

Well, but it was quite foreseeable, I guess...

--

Anyway, I don't forsee coffee, tea and tabacco as new luxuries implemented in the "One World" expansion. Not that they wouldn't be reasonable. But there were allready so many new luxuries introduced with G&K, that keeping your civ happy isn't such an big issue any more. Additional luxuries might break the balance easily!

However, if there are new/re-introduced game concepts (health, for example) that make it appropriate, I could imagine a re-deffinition of the current classification and the introduction of the proposed leafs: Salt might very well count as bonus ressource, copper as strategic ressource.

But then, there is a reason why they did chose exacly what they did: crabs, cooper, truffle ans salt did spread out the neccesary techniques to harvest them nicely. You need sailing, mining, masonry and trapping. Tabacco, tea and coffee all need merely calendar.
They might be reasonable choices if you look at real history. Game-wise they are a not such a good choice!

Exotic feathers were pretty big in mesoamerica. They were valued for their link to Quetzalcoatl in particular.

I'm not talking pigeon feathers here. Think more like peacock.

I understood what you meant... I think the problem I have with it is that 'feathers' is too general, whereas 'peacock feathers' is a little too specific. 'Exotic feathers' sounds strange as well. So best leave it out altogether. Luxuries need to have global appeal. Tobacco could be a good one.

Moving on to more 'expected' things:

- Civs: Zulu, Portugal, Sumeria, Majapahit

- A more detailed espionage system: this is the obvious area of post-G&K CiV that still needs development. I expect spies to be given more abilities - sabotaging production, bombing buildings, etc.

Other than that, I haven't given it much thought, especially since I'm still 'officially' not expecting anything at all ;)

Tea, Coffee and Rice would be nice additions and would sit well with a colonization theme.

I understood what you meant... I think the problem I have with it is that 'feathers' is too general, whereas 'peacock feathers' is a little too specific. 'Exotic feathers' sounds strange as well. So best leave it out altogether. Luxuries need to have global appeal. Tobacco could be a good one.

Tobacco, fine! But then reintroduce health as well and all cities get -1 health if the realm has tobacco ;)

I vote for anything that gives a bit of dynamic instability to the game - i.e. any runaway civ does not remain permanently unstoppable - maybe fragmentation of overlarge empires, corruption, civil war -
Basically anthing that gives more chaotic equilibrium rather than bigger is better is unstoppable.

You mean the Civ4 vassal system? It's extremely horrible, IMHO, but there is a good chance it'll be back.

I believe a vassal system like Civ 4's would do the game good. And it is not at all "extremely horrible" as you claim. You can demand resources and gold from vassals, which will of course make them annoyed. You can gift them techs and cities to make them a more competent ally. You can tell them to attack a certain city when you are at war. If a vassal becomes too strong, he can seek to declare independence. There are many sensible mechanics connected to the vassal system which have historical resemblence and which add another layer of desicions. And it lets you "beat" another Civ without having to conquer every single city. All in all a very nice improvement. One should of course ask why a vassal system wasn't in Civ 5 to begin with, but that's a different story.

Wow, second expansion! :goodjob:

Let's try and keep the thread to what you THINK we'll see in the expansion, rather than what you want; we already have plenty of those threads.

Let the speculation begin!

Hmm... I think what we'll see in One World Expansion:

* New Civilizations:

1) Zulu
2) Portugal
3) Sioux
4) Indonesia
5) Khmer
6) Brazil
7) Israel
8) Poland
9) Vietnam
+10) Inca (just like Spain was in G&K from Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca)

Though, Sumer & Hitties from Wonders of the Ancient World Scenerio DLC have a high chance of being included and Inuit could be a "surpice" Civ replacing bottom three civ's from my list.

* New Social Policies like Environmentalism (late game).

* City Health system

* Enhanced Exploration system with Map Trading

* Rebellion/Government Overthrown element

* Random Events (pretty much same system than in Civ4)

* Improved Economy system which includes foreign trade routes, rivers and economic victory condition.

* New Strategic Resources: (late game) Saltpeter and Rubber.

* A few new units, buildings and wonders. (Additional UC for each existing Civ would be awesome).

* New Scenarios

I would like to see proper, unstunted multiplayer, thanks.

Tobacco, fine! But then reintroduce health as well and all cities get -1 health if the realm has tobacco ;)

And therein lies the explanation for why tobacco, poppies, etc. haven't made it into the game ;)

As my last post was dedicated to what I do not expect - what do I expect?

As stated already several times in this thread by different members, I also think that One World will focus on:

- Diplomacy. An enhanced UN was requested several times in this forum and would perfectly fit into the theme. (Maybe something like the Apostolic Palace, too. But this would make G&K mandatory and I don't think this will be donne by Firaxis.)

- Trade. International trade routes and corporations where requested frequently and fit into the theme. Especially the second feature might very well be a major feature of the expansion. Along with this, new ressources might be introduced, if needed.

- Pollution/Health and climate. I am not so sure about this. At least it would fit the theme somehow. I had some ideas regarding health (see my signature), but they are not hinted by the expansion's naming and so they are not "allowed" in this thread. (Even if I really hope a health system would be in). Global effects due to excessive pollution on the other hand are totally covered by the name. I don't know, whether or not they might lead to fun game mechanics, so.

- Scenarios: A World War I or II scenario would be reasonable due to the name. Of course there might/will be other scenarios that do not perfectly fit the theme.

- Of course, there will be new units/buildings/civs. As there is no strong association to the expansion's name, there is no basis for guessing.
* Portugal, as a famous explorer civ might be reasonable, though. (There is no evidence for the Zulu. But still I would bet that they finally find their way back into CiV.)
* As for new buildings: Airports connect the world and tie it together. They are deffinitely linked to a "One World"-concept!

Well, that's some of the points I would expect due to the only known fact: the expansion's name. Everything else is whishfull thinking and guesswork based on personal hopes, in my regard.

My personal wishlist for the expansion would be:

1)A revamped trade, with international trade routes. Trade routes should also have a tech and culture spillover

2)Revolutions. An improved happiness feature in which it is possible that a negative happiness can create conditions for a revolution.

3)Ethnic and religious strife. If you conquer a city with different ethnicity or religion and your happiness is negative this city could revolt against your rule to jion their brethren or form an independent city state

4)Environment and Health. Environment should be a gameplay feature which unfold its effects mostly from Industrial Era onward. I hope that health is a bit different than in civ4 and there will be the introduction of diseases which can be spread through trade routes

5)UN resolutions

6)Surplus happiness resources which can be used not just for trade but also for new buildings which consumes them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom