Brazil discussion thread

He is just Bismarck by another name and nationality

meh. I only learned about Simon Bolivar and Jose San Martin in history class. Brazil just seemed like Portugal 2.0. But I guess I'll be learning alot more from the new Civilopedia pages!

If it wasn't for the fact that the US is a superpower nowadays, and considering the US is featured with Washington when they were first building up their nation, what makes the inclusion of America with Washington not an England 2.0?

He would denounce all the children in the world and confiscate all their coal for a 225 gold demand the moment one of them is "winning the game in a similar manner"

Whatever that is supposed to mean

HO! HO!
Time to give presents to good city-states and punish naughty ones!

This guy just looks so loveable :lol:. I have a feeling he is going to be an endearing character to civ players. Perhaps a mix of Gandhi and Shaka?

From the ever-so-reliable Wikipedia. He woke up at 7 AM and went to bed at 2AM

3 thing about Brazil:

1) Yes I'm quoting myself. It's relevant to the post.

2) From said Wiki article. I like how it looks like you caught Pedro II in what looks to be late at night.

3) Also from Wiki article, I see a potential UU, Fatherland Volunteers: A Rifleman Replacement

Muitos parabéns Brasil, e parabéns a todos os brasileiros aqui do fórum ;)

After all it's the first time Brazil is in a Civilization game... I hope you're right on Portugal still being in. I hope so. It would be too weird, and Portugal is a great civ to play with ever since it was introduced in the series (and I may be slightly biased because I'm Portuguese... :p)

If Portugal is in I hope they get the accents right, even though Pedro II would probably speak with an European Portuguese accent they better make it more Brazilian, and I share the opinion that the UU will probably be the Fatherland Volunteers - it makes sense, as Pedro II was the emperor back then.

On Pedro II - great choice, one of the most underrated world leaders and a man that, had things been different, could have brought Brazil to a much different place from where it is today. The Republican revolution was a bittersweet event for Brazil and the Portuguese world, because we had few rulers like Pedro II. Socially, for example, he was behind many reforms that the supposedly "freedom loving" Republicans aborted. Not to mention that Brazil became a serious world player at the end of the Empire - only to submerge in political compulsion after his death.

The background also looks great, considering we Portuguese and Brazilians call Pedro "o imperador culto". "The Cultured Emperor".

Muitos parabéns Brasil, e parabéns a todos os brasileiros aqui do fórum ;)

After all it's the first time Brazil is in a Civilization game... I hope you're right on Portugal still being in. I hope so. It would be too weird, and Portugal is a great civ to play with ever since it was introduced in the series (and I may be slightly biased because I'm Portuguese... :p)

If Portugal is in I hope they get the accents right, even though Pedro II would probably speak with an European Portuguese accent they better make it more Brazilian, and I share the opinion that the UU will probably be the Fatherland Volunteers - it makes sense, as Pedro II was the emperor back then.

Cangaceiros! We want Cangaceiros!

Another brazilian here. Gotta say, wow, very surprised! As a CIV fan, I never ever imagined to see BraSil in the game...guess we're big in the world stage right now. I'm not exactly the most proud brazilian you'll ever meet and I definetly tend to think my neighbor's grass is greener, but, to be honest, I'm having a hard time to rationally justify why we should not be included. Ok, we're not a proper CIVILIZATION like the chinese, the romans, the greeks or the egyptians, but c'mon, Songhai?? They're not very significant are they? The fact that we were born from a colony bothers me, but so were the frigin' USA. Oh, we are to modern as a state. So is Germany and others in the game, and they are all legit Civs in my book. We have 500+ years of history, a huge territory, a massively rich and diverse culture, and overall, a LOT going on (you guys outside Brazil have no idea). So I think I'll come around pretty soon.

As to how we should be portrayed in the game, there's much to think about and speculate, but I think the Culture/Hapiness angle would be the right one to explore. In terms of military we are pretty much a joke, so that should be out the window. Like it or not (and I don't, because people will keep thinking we go about swinging from tree to tree around here, wich is a gross misconception) something taking advantage of jungle could be right for us, like jungle tiles giving 1 hammer (OP) or cities adjacent to at least 2 jungle tiles getting an extra hammer. Actually, cutting down jungles generating production (like with forests) and gold to the nearest city would be spot on, but very politically incorrect. Our tremendous religious tolerance could also be explored in some manner, like not being able to found a religion but keeping all beliefs of the religions that eventually spreaded to our cities. We could have beefed up farms or farms built faster (Brazil is an agricultural powerhouse). We could have an "Urutu", wich was a massive sucess and exported to every country you can think of (believe me, my father in law is an army general who vouches for that) as a replacement for Modern Infantry, having anfibious capabilities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EE-11_Urutu And I wan't me my luxuries!! Coffee, yes please! Cocoa, don't mind if I do. I don't know, Carnaval, cangaceiros, bandeirantes, it's all starting to feel pretty nice.

Another brazilian here. Gotta say, wow, very surprised! As a CIV fan, I never ever imagined to see BraSil in the game...guess we're big in the world stage right now. I'm not exactly the most proud brazilian you'll ever meet and I definetly tend to think my neighbor's grass is greener, but, to be honest, I'm having a hard time to rationally justify why we should not be included. Ok, we're not a proper CIVILIZATION like the chinese, the romans, the greeks or the egyptians, but c'mon, Songhai?? They're not very significant are they? The fact that we were born from a colony bothers me, but so were the frigin' USA. Oh, we are to modern as a state. So is Germany and others in the game, and they are all legit Civs in my book. We have 500+ years of history, a huge territory, a massively rich and diverse culture, and overall, a LOT going on (you guys outside Brazil have no idea). So I think I'll come around pretty soon.

As to how we should be portrayed in the game, there's much to think about and speculate, but I think the Culture/Hapiness angle would be the right one to explore. In terms of military we are pretty much a joke, so that should be out the window. Like it or not (and I don't, because people will keep thinking we go about swinging from tree to tree around here, wich is a gross misconception) something taking advantage of jungle could be right for us, like jungle tiles giving 1 hammer (OP) or cities adjacent to at least 2 jungle tiles getting an extra hammer. Actually, cutting down jungles generating production (like with forests) and gold to the nearest city would be spot on, but very politically incorrect. Our tremendous religious tolerance could also be explored in some manner, like not being able to found a religion but keeping all beliefs of the religions that eventually spreaded to our cities. We could have beefed up farms or farms built faster (Brazil is an agricultural powerhouse). We could have an "Urutu", wich was a massive sucess and exported to every country you can think of (believe me, my father in law is an army general who vouches for that) as a replacement for Modern Infantry, having anfibious capabilities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EE-11_Urutu And I wan't me my luxuries!! Coffee, yes please! Cocoa, don't mind if I do. I don't know, Carnaval, cangaceiros, bandeirantes, it's all starting to feel pretty nice.

Just imagine Lampião as a Brazilian Great General... oh boy, can't wait to play with Brazil... vai Brasil!

I'm pleasantly surprised as well! I knew Brazil had some chances, but I was not sure on what to expect. Yet, Pedrinho made it!

All hail Pedrinho! (Those nails!)

They should have called this 'Bearded New World", so far three big beards....Brian Blesseds 'Hawkmen' civ from Flash Gordon could be next :p

We can hear him in the PAX video - he speaks Brazilian Portuguese, which hopefully means they got things right and made Portugal's leader speak European Portuguese. Assuming there's Portugal. Because obviously there is.
From what I could hear, there were also no mistakes (in terms of grammar or otherwise), which is a good sign! :) Other Civilizations got their language somewhat butchered before, so I'm cautious about that (The Huns being the biggest problem - Attila sounds cool, but it's just a broken translation).
His text also seems to be a correct translation, so good thing no corners were cut (from what we could notice).

Congratulations Brasil! :D Can't wait to see more about their uniques!

Português

Spoiler :
Cara você ta com uma visão um pouco conturbada do nosso pais, primeiro que não vejo nosso militariado nem perto de ser uma piada, nos alguma vez perdemos uma guerra? Não chegamos a lutar muitas e verdade porém não e razão de chamar de piada.
Nossas forças expedicionarias que lutaram na ww2 apesar de poucas são respeitadas.
E nosso militariado esta sendo modernizado a anos, alem de que nossas forças são treinadas para serem as melhores combatentes em selva, e elas são, concerteza.
E sobre o urutu, você esqueceu do nosso querido super tucano também.

Well i do hope we get coffee to be a new luxury and brazil should be a turism and culture civ, for sure.

And please no jungle bonus related

Português

Spoiler :
Cara você ta com uma visão um pouco conturbada do nosso pais, primeiro que não vejo nosso militariado nem perto de ser uma piada, nos alguma vez perdemos uma guerra? Não chegamos a lutar muitas e verdade porém não e razão de chamar de piada.
Nossas forças expedicionarias que lutaram na ww2 apesar de poucas são respeitadas.
E nosso militariado esta sendo modernizado a anos, alem de que nossas forças são treinadas para serem as melhores combatentes em selva, e elas são, concerteza.
E sobre o urutu, você esqueceu do nosso querido super tucano também.

Moderator Action: Although you are allowed to post in Portuguese, any non-English content must be accompanied by a full English translation.

Top Bottom