Venice discussion

Eagle: There's also the fact that Venice doesn't seem to remove City-State 'status' from someone they grab, unlike Austria. (Anyone can puppet a CS as an option if they conquer it.)

Scaramanga: I guess it's nice that Venice can choose Piety or Honor then, isn't it? ;) Certainly Venice can get a jump-start on religion because of the VERY lackluster Liberty for them. Tradition is probably quite a bit better (+gold happiness in Capital looks VERY good), but don't overlook either Honor or Piety. Honor lets you go Warmonger earlier, and certainly Venice is predisposed to 'use' its finisher best of any Civ right now.

I might look more at BNW policy trees to figure out how I'd want to proceed.

(Right now, my biggest question is what the Chateau does.)

Not only would the collective rule social policy be useless, Representation will probably not be all that useful. Assuming it has not changed, the only benefit will be a 10 turn Golden age. that is nice but not all that great.

Hooray, Venice! :3

My opinion:

UA: Pretty interesting! I really like the look of trade routes, so double them will be really nice. I just hope this UA won't make them incredibly terrible to play at higher levels or in multiplayer, because aesthetically they look like a really nice civ.
UU: Eh. At least it's not a melee ship. Build 3 or 4 of them and surround your lone city with them and you should be okay for a while on defence. Okay I guess.
UGP: I love how one of the worst GPs in the game has a UU varient. Except now it'll be a massive key to Venice's success. It'll be a really interesting task to balance out your Merchants, Scientists and Artists (if you're playing the culture game, that is.)

Overall: Pretty nice I'd say. I'm happy, there's finally a civ in this expansion I like the look of, that makes me very very happy. Definitely choosing them first and pitting the other 8 people against them.

...Unless the last civ is also something else I'd like to play. In which case, oh noes what do.

1. Venice will get Merchant of Venice instead of the settler from liberty tree. I'am pretty sure of that :) Notice thay they avoid this tree in promo videos :) If it's worth to pick liberty tree first (your third SP gives you MoV) and than go to tradition? Who knows...
2. I'am waiting for AI to settle first venetian city in a middle of the continent :crazyeye:

Wielki: I'd almost certainly create a Trading House if I got a MoV that early. Much more flexible, and maybe it's me, but I prefer CS Allies to Puppets.

I am seriously bummed this turned out to be true. I was looking forward to it, but it'll probably be the last of the 9 I play.

I think Venice is interesting, but I'm probably never going to play it. It will be really hard to build wonders when you only have one city that you can really build a military, science, and culture. The puppet states will do some on their own, but Venice will essentially be a one city civ. The UGP is cool, but if Venice gets placed next to a really aggressive neighbor then I'm not sure how it will be able to handle it. So overall, they're interesting to me but not very practical.

Haven't seen anyone mention that you likely grab all of the City State's units upon using a MoV. Also elite troops and ships from the capital thanks to heroic epic, barracks, armory, etc. I think those are things the whole family can agree on!

I am really excited about this. I like to play OCC because it doesn't take as long to complete a game. Now, I can do that and fight wars at my leisure. There are going to be some really magnificent cities of Venice once this gets released.

I imagine they will have a coastal bias?

Damn, so this means everything Maelstrom said was right?

No Sacagawea?

Looks like both will offer a unique gameplay experience and that's all that matters. Whether they will be good strategically or become like India or Polynesia remains to be seen.

I think Venice is interesting, but I'm probably never going to play it. It will be really hard to build wonders when you only have one city that you can really build a military, science, and culture. The puppet states will do some on their own, but Venice will essentially be a one city civ. The UGP is cool, but if Venice gets placed next to a really aggressive neighbor then I'm not sure how it will be able to handle it. So overall, they're interesting to me but not very practical.

Venice will be a monster wonder hoarder. Just use your spare cash from your extra trade routes to buy Granaries and Workshops in your puppets, then switch those trade routes to pump food and production from your puppets to Venice.

I guess it's play style related. I love making big empires and Venice seems to promote small ones (though double trade routes is pretty boss).

I'm gonna send in my army of merchants; nobody expects the Venetian Acquisition.

I guess it's play style related. I love making big empires and Venice seems to promote small ones (though double trade routes is pretty boss).

I'm gonna send in my army of merchants; nobody expects the Venetian Acquisition.

This alone has made me excited for Venice's uniques

UA should encourage player to do certain tactic, but never restricts him.

However, what makes me sad is fact that they are nothing like separate hypercube.
Friendly puppeting city-states with Austria, creating puppet empire with every civ.
So I can buy things in puppets and the world turn over? Sorry, the disappointment is above 9000.
What is more, Venice brutally forces your gameplay, which clauses them below Brazil in my subjective ranking.

I don't like to play as venice, because I like to go wide. But I would appreciate them as neighbours, because they would have much more trade routes to my cities, they will not expand (settle cities on spots I would like to) and they will have plenty of gold for trade. They are kind a new unique CS type around.

Its an even more restrictive civ than India :sad:. I can already imagine the groans already when someone rolls Venice randomly in multiplayer in NQ

You could go Liberty for the free GP, but the Collective Rule SP would be worthless.

You don't need to have 4 cities to get the free buildings from Tradition. It's probably the best for Venice.

Honor may be legit for Venice if you don't want to play it OCC style. Grab up a close neighbor's cities to support your capital.

Honor and aggression may not be the best use of its double trade routes though.

Venice will be a monster wonder hoarder. Just use your spare cash from your extra trade routes to buy Granaries and Workshops in your puppets, then switch those trade routes to pump food and production from your puppets to Venice.
Didn't thought about that, sounds good. But still, Venice will spend many turns building all those caravans/cargo ships.

Top Bottom