*Spoiler* Qsc18r2 - Barbarian Insanity Game progress

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
This thread is somewhat of a spoiler for Gotm18-Celts because it uses the same map and exact same game setup positions so if you have not yet completed that game but still plan on submitting then you should probably avoid this thread.

This thread is for player timelines and progress reports to track and score progress of this Quick Game so you can just experiment with extreme barbarian effects.

The basic barbarian is the Pictish Warrior increased to an ADM of 2/1/2
The advanced barbarian is the Gallic or European Swordsman at 3/2/2 (just like your UU)

Tech rate progess will be faster than normal because the map tech rate factor is reduced by 25% and the Minimum tech turns is set to 3 while the maximum tech turns is set to 30.

(note that this fast tech pace will make it harder to compare your games outside of this Quick Game set but it should let the game take less time while still allowing you to experience the chalenge of the barbs.)

This game is setup for you on Monarch difficulty just like the original game. DO NOT SUBMIT this game to the GOTM or QSC scoring submissions or Mojo Jojo will come to your house and turn your computer into a kitty litter box. It is very important that you do not post about this game in the main Gotm discussion threads at this time. Because this game is an extreme variant of normal play, there may be nothing about this game that can really be discussed in the main GOTM discussion threads. We will ahve to wait until you get done and compare note to see what you think the impacts might be.

The way you should play the game for the first 120 turns is to think carefully about what you are doing and take some key timeline notes about what you do in the game. You can find lots of good examples of timelines in the QSC results threads in the main GOTM forum.

The real end point for this game is after at least TWO CIVILIZATIONS have entered into the Middle Ages to stimulate a massive barbarian uprising.

Divide your time line up into nice concise 30 turn blocks of time plus you want to take a break exactly at 1000bc. Here is a brief schedule outline:

turn 30 - first timeline break (no save file required)
turn 60 - second timeline break - 1525bc save file required
turn 80 - 1000bc (optional save to compare to the real Qsc)
turn 90 - 775bc third timeline break - (no save file required)
turn 120 - fourth timeline break - 170bc save file required (fixed from 570 typo)
(you may have to continue a few more 30 turn blocks but I doubt it.)

You need to complete play and report your timeline events through turn60 by the end of the day on Friday, April 25th if at all possible.
Hold off and do not post any information about turns 61 through 120 until after Monday April, 28th. This will provide a little break for any discussion and will also help to keep the group together a bit.

After you complete to turn 120, there will be a short discussion break and then you will be free to play the rest of the game if you wish.

We will use the QSC scoring format to designate a winner and a runner up for this warlord group when we reach the turn 120 mark.

REMEMBER that you must have read and followed the setup instructions for Gotm18-Celts in order for this game to run on your software without crashing. We know the game works perfectly so 99.995% of all crashes will absolutely be traced to failing to read and follow the setup instructions.

Good luck in your game, this could be pretty bloody and brutal, and remember to share and have fun. ;)

Here are your save files:

Redux18 Barbarian Insanity for PTWv1.14f or PTW v1.21f

Redux18 Barbarian Insanity for Civ3v1.29

Hi guys, here are my first 30 turns. Since I haven't participated in anything like this b4, if there is anything I can do to improve my reports please say. I have assumed that everyone has played the original GOTM18. Cracker may have to delete this post if that is not his intent. Fingers crossed.

First off I know the map. I think that I can get away with just 2 warriors to explore, and they will be used to establish contacts with other civs ASAP. I don't need to investigate the local terrain.

I won't be building early wonders. In the GOTM I built the pyramids as I thought it important and I didn't want it built on the other side of the map where I couldn't take it.

My strategy will be to immediately improve the BG tiles that connect my intended core city sites. Those sites will be split into two types. One for barracks then units in areas of high shield potential and the other for workers and settlers in high food potential sites. I will build around the lakes so I can get to size 7 without Aqueduct as far as possible. This is not necessary for this game but it's how I would play a full game.

I will trade for and buy techs. I will research slowly. I intend to get iron hooked up at around 1000BC, start building units and take out Rome, Greece and Carthage b4 the end of this quick game. (Fat chance) ;)

Brief timeline:

4000BC. Found Entremont on start tile. Research Mysticism 20% and start building warrior.

3750BC. Complete warrior, start another. Warrior 1 explores south.

3550BC. Complete warrior, start another. Warrior 2 explores West.

3350BC. Complete warrior, start settler. Warror 3 fortifies.

3150BC. Trade for Bronze working and alphabet

3050BC. End of timeline.

At this point I have contact with Rome, Greece and Carthage and am equal last with Greece in Firaxis points (67).

A full and reproducible timeline including minimap is included here in MS Excel format.

Well, here we go...

Thought I'd build good warriors in the hope that they upgrade quicker when I meet hundreds of Barbarians! However, that meant wasting valuable time building barracks. I still have only 1 town and it's stopped growing at the grand age of '3'!! Not sure why yet, but a settler will appear soon.
Mad Bax has kindly let me use his spread sheet to keep track of my moves so hopefully I can see where my mistakes are happening more clearly, somehow, I think XL will run out of cells before I complete this game!

Thoughts upfront: I know I should use knowledge of the map, but I do so like the first part of the game, so I just wanna jump in and see where it ends, so here goes!

4000BC (1) - We found where we stand and start building a warrior. Tech is cheaper, but still need to decide eihter DIY or not. Me thinks we'll go for the money this time 'round to support our minions, AFTER we researched Pottery, or should I go visit the Iroquois first. Mmm. Lets try that! So it's (10.0.0) for 3gpt. Worker moves SW. Warrior started.

3950BC (2) - Worker starts mine.

3900BC (3) - Zzzz

3850BC (4) - Zzzz

3800BC (5) - Zzzz

3750BC (6) - Warrior1 built, leaves to find the Iroquois (S)

3700BC (7) - Warrior1 SE

3650BC (8) - Warrior1 S, Worker completes mine starts road, Warrior2 now due in 2, growth in 3.

3600BC (9) - Warrior1 S.

3550BC (10) - Warrior2 built, leaves for Greece (SW). Entremont starts Warrior3. Warrior1 SW.

3500BC (11) - We meet an Iroqy warrior and trade Warrior Code for Pottery and 10g. They say we're backwards, we'll show them later :satan:. Warrior2 W, Warrior3 S, Worker goes to bonus grass.

3450BC (12) - Warrior1 S, Warrior2 W, Worker starts mine

3400BC (13) - We meet the Greek. Buy Bronze Working for 43g and 1gpt from Iroquois. Warrior3 stays home to leave with the settler we're starting. Warrior1 S, Warrior2 SW. Start IW for 1g so it's (8.2.0) for 2gpt.

3350BC (14) - Warrior1 S finds hut! Ai, what to do next, it's Monarch so there's an off chance it is hiding a settler. Mmm. Warrior2 SW. E will grow in 7, produce settler in 7, but when the mine is finished the settler will there before E, is size 3, damn, should have irrigated first! Changed to granary.

3300BC (15) - Great! We meet the neoCartagians first, they lack Pottery, Warrios Code *and* Ceremonial Burial. They have Masonry and Alphabet. They probably almost finished Pottery so I have to throw in 1gpt and 16 gold. We make the deal. It turns them polite. We're at tech parity with Greece but Iroq has Mysticism now. Warrior1 is closer to the Ai then to E. so we open the hut and.... get map of the region :p.

3250BC (16) - Warrior2 continues west. Warrior1 turns east to meet the Romans.

3200BC (17) - Warrior1 E, Warrior2 W.

3150BC (18) - Warrior1 E, Warrior2 W. Worker moves S to irrigate.

3100BC (19) - Warrior1 E, Warrior2 finds brown (neoCart) border.

3050BC (20) - Warrior1 E spots red (Roman) border, Warrior2 W.

3000BC (21) - Meet Rome, they lack CB and Masonry, sell them CB for 35g (all they have). He's Cautious. Warrior1 E, Warrior2 W.

2950BC (22) - Warrior1 E, Warrior2 S.

2900BC (23) - Ahum, irrigation doesn't have affect until you're out of Despotism, I knew that... :wallbash: :crazyeye: Worker builds road. warrior1 S (on his way to the English), Warrior2 S (on the mountain).

2850BC (24) - Warrior1 SE, Warrior2 W, Greece has the Wheel and an extra city. Iroquois have Myst. and IW.

2800BC (25) - E. builds granary starts settler(5 turns). Warrior1 S, Warrior2 W

2750BC (26) - Warrior1 S, Warrior2 W, Worker moves to BG and starts mine.

2710BC (27) - Iroq got/bought the Wheel. Warrior1 S, Warrior2 W and finds the mediteranean lake.

2670BC (28) - Warrior1 S, Warrior2 NW

2630BC (29) - Rome founds Veii, Warrior1 S, Warrior2 N

2590BC (30) - E. builds settler. Warrior3 joins him SW. E. starts Warrior. Warrior1 S, Warrior2 N.

We have:
- 3 warriors and 1 settler, E has 1 pop and a granary, and will grow in 1 turn.
- 49 gold and -1gtp (8.2.0), IW in 13 (2gpt payments will finish in 6 turns).
- met four civs (2 polite, 2 cautious), we have all the first tier techs except for the Wheel.
- one mined+roaded BG tile, one mined BG tile, one irrigated+roaded Grass tile.

Well I don't think I did much better then the first go, but it's ok so far. Like mad-bax I used the knowledge of the map to keep one of the first 3 warriors home to defend the city.

just found this - MAD-BAX ... thanks for the pointer.

Downloading now. At least I'll get to do something now - not enough of the month left for me to do GOTM18 (i'm kinda slow usually) , since I've just finished freelancer, and that ate my last 38 gaming hours - gotta say it was nice "me flying and 'em dying !!!"

I'll jump straight in, an post asap. Do you want 30 turns segments posted, as done here, or would you rather have a "qsc-like" timeline?

Hi Wanderer, glad you could make it ::thumbsup:

A space oddity: Nice timeline. I enjoyed reading it. :goodjob:

Since I only covered 20 turns instead of 30 in my first report I'll fill in the gap here.

3050: Trade Masonry from Carthage. Forgot to write down details of trade. Sorry.

3000: Start Granary pre-build in Entremont. This is a bit scary as I don't have pottery and am not researching it. Don't think I would have taken the gamble if I didn't know the map. Also I'm not really sure whether a granary here is really worthwhile as it has no food bonuses. I am just not confident that I can build cities quickly enough without it.

2950: Found Alecia 3 tiles NW of Entremont. (fish) and prebuild granary.

2670: Meet polite Iroquois and trade their pottery for alphabet and 8G

2630: Meet polite France. They have nothing I want. Normally I would give her a tech or two, but I'm in no hurry to research. I want time to build some GS units b4 the uprising.

2550: Complete Mysticism start Polytheism (8.2.0). Buy wheel from Iroquois for Mysticism and 25g. Again, normally I would have held off a couple of turns so that I could trade my new tech for several others. Probably still should have even in the context of this game.

And so it ends. I'm not sure if I am doing any better second time round either. Because I am not building pyramids I should end up with a few more cities. If I can get more than 10 by 1000BC I'll be happy.

I have completed to turn 60 now but will hold off posting until tomorrow night.

One point I would like to raise about the barbarians. We don't see much of them around our start location, and in the full GOTM the uprisings were on the barb peninsula (in my game). If we don't take the cork out of the bottle by removing the volcanos from the choke points will we see barbs at all? :hmm:

That's what I thought when I started replaying. In my GOTM game the vulcano's were defeated by the AI eventually. I did have some trouble then with my nothern cities there. How I solved it, you can read somewhere in the GOTM threads. (I don't want to make it too easy to find it ;) )

I went with a complete different direction than I would normally just to have some different fun here. Namely I'm going the archer route (and also trying an extremely early granary as you'll see below). This wasn't something I decided before I started since you'll notice I started researching iron which wouldn't be needed.

I left out the gaps when nothing is really going on.

4000 BC
worker to mine and road north shieldland
settler moves northwest
3950 BC
founded Fort Entremont building warrior
0.10.0 Pottery (18)
3700 BC
:p Fort Entremont finished warrior now prebuilding for granary
warrior exploring west
3450 BC
Fort Entremont (2)
0.10.0 Pottery (4)
3350 BC
met Hannibal, hold off any trading
3300 BC
5.5.0 Pottery (1)
3250 BC
Fort Entremont switched to granary
0.10.0 Bronze Working (13)
Hannibal won't trade, sees my warrior and my evil intentions no doubt
warrior takes two Carthage slaves declaring war on Hannibal
slaves heading east
3200 BC
mercenary appears defending Carthage
warrior pillages hill improvements
3150 BC
warrior dies after second Carthage warrior attack
slaves will attempt some diversionary tactics going back to Fort Entremont, but wait at a safe distance to track any attack force
3100 BC
Fort Entremont (3)
0.9.1 Bronze Working (10)
2850 BC
Fort Entremont finished granary now building archer
2750 BC
Fort Entremont (4)
0.8.2 Bronze Working (2)
2670 BC
Fort Entremont finished archer now building worker
archer kills Carthage warrior now 4/4
slaves start roading and mining shieldlands, separately, diversion didn't work and they aren't together
0.8.2 Iron Working (27)
2590 BC
Fort Entremont (4) finished worker now building settler
worker to chop forest
archer rests, then heads west to harass/spy Carthage

Not much happened, got two valuable slaves. Had an interesting build timing issue to get that archer out before the carthage warrior arrived, and in fact he was right next to my capital the turn my archer was done. I figured this ahead of time since I could see the warrior moving with the slaves I took. He delayed a turn because he was wounded when he killed my initial warrior. And he took the most direct route despite the AI's usual gory facination with killing workers. Of course had my archer not won the battle all would be lost. Not my earliest loss but pretty bad on anything but diety. One warrior and declaring war on nearest neighbor is not for the faint of heart. :) Its hard to say wether this was worth it, that archer wasn't part of the plan, I should have been building a settler at that point, and all the slider juggling was because Entremont got too large.

Another minor difference was that I build the mine first instead of the road in the hopes this would help that early granary. I had to micromanage production down towards the end since I got pottery only 1 turn before I would have finished building the temple, this only applies to religious civs, it wouldn't be an issue otherwise. Of course a better gold starting point would have gotten pottery much earlier.

I planned to do very little exploration and once that initial warrior was killed I was at war with Carthage the entire segment and then some... So all spare production was spent on archers to fight off the hordes. I also hoped to get an early leader this way. Too bad the closest two civs have the best ancient age defense units.

Hmmm - these all look quite similar.

Me so far:

- Ok-ish. Am working wat to turn 60 now, and worried about martial strength! I'm gonna head for something like 10 cities (maybe) by 1000 bc if I can - with Tight build radius.

now - if I can just figure out how to attach the damn timeline ...

I apologise in advance for the length of this post but I have an idea that I would like to air.....timeline first though.

Turn 31 thru 60

2350BC: Traded Iron Working from greece for Mysticism, Pottery and 17G

2310BC: Meet Cautious China and polite Aztechs. Get Horseback Riding from hut. The first tech I've got from a hut in about 6 games.

1910BC: Found Lugdunum

1870BC: Meet Annoyed Japan.

1725BC: Found Camalodunum

1550BC: Found Richborough

1525BC: Found Verulamium. Finish Polytheism, start Monarchy. Trade contact with Romans for Aztech writing and 15G. Swap contacts to get contact with the 2 remaining CIVS (England and Egypt).

Fairly uneventful development. But that will all change very soon.

Now to the plan. I've been thinking about what Cracker said about living a little. I've been playing this game for around 10 weeks now and have just been learning and copying what the better players do, and I don't know if I am capable of original thought or not.

10 years ago my Doom Clan gave me my present nickname because A) the film was out, B) its an obvious wordplay on my name and C) I did stupid things like standing next to a wall and firing a rocket against said wall propelling me accross chasms too big to jump (surviving occaisionally). I thought I would do something similar in this game....

I am going to build walls in all cities and even (try to) build the Great Wall. I am going to fill my northern cities with GS units and move all my workers south. Just before the barbarian uprising happens I am going to Kill the volcanos and blow raspberries at the barbarians. Because of all the camps and the raging setting I could easily see 2 or three hundred hardened barbs pour through the choke point. They will become my (albeit undisciplined) instant army.

I hope that the PTW AI will persuade the barbs to attack everyone else who have not prepared, and I will try to facilitate this by getting the barbs to chase a hanfull of units deep into Carthage and France. Barbs that attack my northern cities will upgrade my UU's. I am not even going to build barracks.

Then I am just going to walk into all of the cities pillaged by the Barbs. I am worried that all of the barbs will just pour into the first city they come across. But we'll see.

Questions, comments and emotional outbursts can be directed in the usual manner. :)

Smirk: I've always wanted to know how the Archer rush works in practice, and how a war that early affects a game. Looks like I'll be finding out :)

Here is my reproducible timeline and save game:
[Edit] Savegame too big even when zipped. What do I do now?

2550BC (31) - Settler pair S, Warrior1 S, Warrior2 NW.

2510BC (32) - Alesia founded starts Barracks, will build worker next. E. builds Warrior, starts Settler.

Warrior1 S, Warrior2 NW.

2470BC (33) - Buy Mysticism from Greece for 2gpt and 35 gold, plan to sell it to neoCart. for IW and maybe trade that for The Wheel with either Iroquois or Greece. They don't want to sell IW... grr :mad: . Warrior1 S, Warrior2 W.

2430BC (34) - Just realised the English are on their island. Must be past your bedtime, space oddity! Warrior1 S, Warrior2 N.

2390BC (35) - Warrior2 N spots Pink border. Warrior1 S spots Orange border! :)

2350BC (36) - France lacks CB, she has 35 gold. Iroquois have writing and are willing to trade The Wheel for contact with Rome! Suckers, the good it'll do to them. One thing I learned from this GOTM was not to sell contact too soon. The AI will trade amongst each other much quicker then they will with the human player. So I keep them back a bit. Warrior1 SW, Warrior2 W.

2310BC (37) - Meet the English and sell them The Wheel for 85 gold (all they have). They also lack Masonry and Mysticism.

2270BC (38) - E. completes the settler, starts warrior. Warrior1 NW, Warrior2 W.

2230BC (39) - Warrior1 NW in search of the Chinese, Warrior2 SW to find the Aztec.

2190Bc (40) - Lugdunum founded, starts Barracks. Warrior1 NW, Warrior2 SW.

2150BC (41) - Worker finishes road and moves NW. Warrior1 NW, Warrior2 S.

2110BC (42) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 SE.

2070BC (43) - We researched IW and start Math at 10%. Switched Alesia to Settler. Buy HR from Carthage for 85 gold.

2030BC (44) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 S

1990BC (45) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 S, Worker starts mine on BG.

1950BC (46) - Swap Iroquois contact with the English, who are backward and broke, with 14gold and contact with the Chinese. They are willing to trade Writing and 4 gold (all they have) for Mysticism and Contact with the English and the Romans (both broke and lacking techs). Met the Aztecs. They only want to trade their contacts for France, which I won't do yet. Greece has Lit. We are at par with or more advanced then the others, good!

1910BC (47) - E. builds settler, starts warrior. Warrior1 W, Warrior2 W.

1870BC (48) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 W.

1830BC (49) - Camulodunum founded, starts Barracks. Warrior1 W, Warrior2 W.

1790BC (50) - We meet Japanese, who are very backward and nearly broke (10 gold), but they do have 5 cities.

1750BC (51) - E. starts another settler. Moved science to 20%, to make some progress. Warrior1 SW, Warrior turns S to meet the Egyptians.

1725BC (52) - Settler from Alesia will move to the iron accompanied by a warrior. Alesia builds another warrior.

1700BC (53) - Lugdunum builds worker, starts settler.

1675BC (54) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 S. Change Lugdunum to archer (it has barracks, let's start some attacking power.

1650BC (55) - Worker2 starts mine on BG. Warrior1 NW, Warrior2 SE.

1625BC (56) - Warrior1 W, Warrior2 S, meets Egyption Warrior. She has nothing we need: a measely 5 gold and we are three techs up! She's polite...

1600BC (57) - Entremont builds another settler, it'll move E in search of the horsies. Alesia builds Warrior, starts, hmm, I would like another settler, but will have to wait for it to grow and it has rax as well so it'll build our second vet archer. Richborough founded next to the Iron, it starts a worker. Warrior1 NW, Warrior2 SE.

1575BC (58) - Cam. builds worker, starts barracks. We have met everyone now, so the warriors will head home. A quick round learns us the AI have no new techs.

1550BC (59) - Zzzz

1525BC (60) - Zzzz

We have:
5 cities, one settler.
All cities have one warrior, two are on the road. One vet archer ready, one underway.
Tech par or better, Greece has one tech up. Math ready in 18 turns at (8.2.0).
117 gold, 7 gpt.
Iron will be available soon, as will Horses.

Here is segment two, still at war with Hannibal. I have an archer harrasing his units when they come out. No horses so he can only move into my range before I can attack. And he wouldn't dare put a worker there to build a road. I intended to do this until his losses made him give me something for peace.

2430 BC
Fort Entremont (5) [mmh]
2390 BC
Fort Entremont (3) finished settler now building settler [mms]
settler heads north
archer sets up defensive position on hill outside Utica
2310 BC
2.7.1 Iron Working (21)
2270 BC
met Hiawatha from his exploring warrior, has three cities and a monstrous score
founded Fort Alesia now building barracks, settled on northwest edge of lake sharing fish
2230 BC
Fort Entremont [mmg]
1.8.1 Iron Working (11), should have done this last turn have 1g budget surplus
2190 BC
met Alex from his exploring warrior
Fort Entremont (2) finished settler now building settler [mmfish]
settler heads north to other side of lake
2150 BC
2.8.0 Iron Working (10)
2070 BC
mercenary dies attacking archer on hill
founded Fort Lugdunum now building barracks
met Mao, somehow
2030 BC
Fort Entremont (3) [mmg]
2.7.1 Iron Working (5)
1990 BC
Fort Entremont (1) finished settler now building barracks [normal]
settler moves south
2.8.0 Iron Working (5)
1910 BC
Fort Alesia (2)
1870 BC
Fort Entremont (2)
Fort Alesia finished barracks now building spearman
9.1.0 Iron Working (1)
1830 BC
founded Fort Camulodunum building barracks
9.1.0 Wheel (30)
met Monte, somehow
archer kills Carthage archer
1790 BC
archer moves back to hill
1750 BC
slaves to road to Fort Camulodunum
workers to road to Fort Lugdunum
Fort Entremont finished barracks now building archer
archer kill Carthage archer now 1/4
1725 BC
archer moves back to hill
Fort Entremont (3)
8.1.1 Wheel (27)
1700 BC
Fort Lugdunum (2) finished barracks now building settler
1675 BC
Fort Entremont finished archer now building worker
archer to explore south and find first conquest target (ie Rome)
1650 BC
Fort Alesia (3) finished archer now building settler
archer goes to support other archer on hill
7.1.2 Wheel (24)
1625 BC
Alex settled a city directly south of Fort Entremont, one tiles from border
Fort Entremont (3) finished worker now building settler
1550 BC
Fort Camulodunum (2) finished barracks now building archer

The next segment is when the real action began.

BTW where do I submit the saves? Its too big for an attachment?

Smirk the secret to linking the saves is to use the "Easy Upload" feature at th bootm of the forum pages and then to learn to use one of two functions in the vBCode section of the message posting form.

You need to know the full "properties" or URL of the uploaded file and then you can link to it by justs inserting the text of the URL into the message as a separate line or by using the "http" command.

If the file is an image file you can link to it OR you have the extra option of using the IMG tage to actually call the image into the message just as done below:

That image is produced by the code tag insert of:

Code:
{IMG}http://gotm.civfanatics.net/common/smilies/smiley_bluesbro.gif{/IMG}
except the { } brackets should be replaced with [ ]

Mad-bax - regarding your plan: Seems like a good thing to try, it has a chance in PTW with 'smarter' barbs. As I am playing this using CivIII, I'm trying to build up a good sized military force, maybe use the AI as training material. What worked when I had a city on barb island was keeping the city empty and use every gold I had so no real harm was done. In the end my units were strong enough to fight the barbs of and raze their camps (with a little help of my friends :) ).
This time once the cork is gone they'll be coming at my core cities so some good defence is called for. Maybe a defence leader will be the result , now that *would* be good. :D

Sorry about being so late guys; I think I just make the deadline.

I did use a lot of my prior knowledge to help myself out; as a result, even though I didn't do very well in the QSC (although I did eventually win - my first GOTM victory, and my 2nd GOTM), I did quite a bit better here. I did, however, make the odd mistake - this is warts and all.

Here's turns 1-30:

Herein are the chronicles of Gazza666 The Doomed, foolish upstart who thinks he can bring "civilisation" to a world that contains a lot of big tough uncivilised dudes.

-4000/1:
From GOTM18, I know that the starting square is reasonable, so I plonk down Entremont immediately and start on a warrior (I'm going to need them). Worker goes SW to the BG. I decide to go 100% for Bronze Working; I think I can meet the Iriquois and get Pottery.

-3950/2:
Start mining the BG.

-3800/5:
BT: Warrior produced. Another is started.

-3750/6:
Warrior heads S. He's going S and SW in an attempt to contact the Iriquois.

-3650/8:
Mine completed. Road started.

-3600/9:
BT: 2nd warrior produced. Barracks started.

-3550/10:
The 2nd warrior heads SW. He's going to try and find the Greeks.
BT: Borders expand. Entremont -> size 2.

-3500/11:
MM Entremont to work the mined/roaded BG and the BG to the west of the mined/roaded BG (so that the worker can improve it immediately). Road completed; worker moves W. My first warrior spots an Iriquois warrior. Diplomatic ties are opened; he will trade Pottery + 10g for Warrior Code, which I am more than happy to do (indeed, that was the whole plan! OK, so it's not much of a plan - kind of on the scale of "I know what to do - let's try WINNING!" but still, it's a plan. Look up there for turn 6 - definitely forward planning there. Anyway... the Iriquois also have Mysticism, but there's obviously no way I can pry that out of them just yet.

-3450/12:
Having found the Iriquois, that warrior turns and starts to head west. In GOTM 18, I ended up buying a lot of contacts, but it occurs to me that I might be able to find the Chinese. The worker starts mining the BG. I consider for a moment, and then switch the warrior (1 turn to go in Entremont) into a granary. It will probably be worth it.

-3300/15:
My second warrior finds a scouting Carthage warrior. They have Bronze Working, Masonry, and Alphabet, but lack Pottery, Warrior Code, and Ceremonial Burial. I quickly check with the Iriquois before doing any deals: and it's just as well, because the Iriquois have those three as well (Mysticism, too, of course). So I won't be getting any brokering opportunities, it seems. I go back to Carthage - for just Pottery + Warrior Code, they will trade all three of their techs plus 10g. I do this; I still have Ceremonial Burial over them. Science is switched to Iron Working. I check with the Iriquois; they only have Mysticism over me. (I note that I'm doing a LOT better than in GOTM18 at this point. It definitely helps to know the map. Yes, yes, I realize all of you are saying "derr" at this point, but I'm still a relative neophyte).

-3150/18:
Worker finishes mining, and starts roading. Entremont will grow before the granary completes, but there's nothing really to do about that.

-3050/20:
Borders of a Carthage city founded (Carthage itself, I know from the borders and from GOTM18 - but I can't actually see the name yet in this game). Neither Iriquois nor neoCarthage have anything new to offer; I'm checking every turn or two.

-3000/21:
Entremont -> size 3, so tax set to 0/8/2 to prevent a riot (yes, I'm still going without defenders; the hope is that the barbs aren't going to show up until I get a barracks down, at least). Worker finishes the road. I check Entremont to make sure that the third square it is working is the BG to the N; it is. I send the worker there.
BT: I don't make the top eight largest nations list. I believe I will be able to live with myself, however. (Incidentally, the Iriquois aren't on it either, although the Pathetic Carthaginians slip in at 6th).

-2950/22:
Start mining the third BG. I walk my warrior into Carthage's borders so I can see it; it's still only size 1. Obviously the Carthage AI is doing a "build settler when you hit size 3" trick - is that common? It's generally not a very efficient method, but I guess that's one of the advantages that the human player has. Granary in Entremont only has 5 shields to go, so I MM it to work the lake and the 2 roaded BG. That way I get a little extra commerce - enough to make a difference? Probably not, but it makes the report a little more interesting and portrays me as a careful, thoughtful player. :)
BT: I get the demand to skedaddle from Carthage, to which I happily acquiesce. Also, a Greek hoplite approaches Carthage - hmm... In other news, my granary completes, and I start a barracks.

-2900/23:
I dial up Greece, but of course they have all of my tech and even a little more cash than I do (41 to my 30). They do not, however, have any MORE tech than I do. Anyway, the warrior near Carthage heads out of their radius, and will now head N to try and spot France.

-2800/25:
BT: A Roman warrior appears near Entremont.

-2750/26:
I dial Rome. He lacks Masonry and Ceremonial Burial. It isn't really worth it, but I sell him Masonry for 10g. F8 shows me in last place - of course - but not by much. I note that my Barracks will complete next turn, and then I remember that I didn't switch the citizen off the lake back in turn 23. Oops. Oh well, I'll remember next turn.
BT: Barracks completed; spearman started.

-2710/27:
I do remember this time, and switch my citizen to work the BG that is being mined.

-2670/28:
Mine complete; road started.

-2630/29:
BT: Spearman completed. Settler started (yes, I probably will need one at some point!)

-2590/30:
Tax back to 0/10/0 (it occurs to me that I could probably have lowered it to 0/9/1 at some point, but I forgot to check). Spearman fortifies. Diplomatic check: Greece has the Wheel (won't sell) and Iriquois has Mysticism. Rome and Carthage both lack Ceremonial Burial. There is a possibility of brokerage here; I have 15 turns to go for Iron Working.

That's 1-30; stay tuned for 31-60 following. I realise it wasn't required, but here's a save file for 2590bc.

OK, hot on the heels are turns 31-60 ("wherein gazza makes a bunch of trivial mistakes to prove he's actually a lot less good than he thinks he is").

-2550/31:
Entremont -> size 4, so I change the tax to 0/9/1. Road complete; worker moves W to another BG and I MM Entremont to work that square.

-2510/32:
Start mining the 4th BG.
BT: A Chinese archer appears near my southern warrior.

-2470/33:
I dial up China. Ouch; they have both the Wheel and Mysticism, as well as all my tech. Nothing I can offer them. I MM Entremont to work the coast square instead of the unimproved BG for 1 turn; it will still pop the settler, and it will give me a little more commerce.
BT: Entremont builds settler; spearman started.

-2430/34:
There is a wheat to the SE that is also near a fish lake; I send the settler there (unescorted). Tax back to 0/10/0.

-2390/35:
Iron Working has dropped from 11 turns to 9. Entremont didn't grow, so the only possibility is that someone else has it. Greece, it appears - from just the Wheel, they now also have Iron Working, Writing, and Mysticism. They have communications with the Aztecs. Possibly the Aztecs traded them all this? Hmm... the Iriquois have the same as the Greeks... but China doesn't. It looks as if I'm still the only one who knows China.

-2350/36:
Entremont -> size 3. I MM it to work 2 BG and a coast, since it will still get the spearman just as fast.

-2310/37:
I MM Entremont to work 1 BG and 2 coast - again, the spearman will still come in just as fast. Why am I racing? Because China doesn't have Iron Working yet, and if I can get it before Greece or Iriquois trade it to them, then I can acquire the Wheel and Mysticism.
BT: Spearman completes; walls started.

-2270/38:
I leave the citizens working the coast tiles; I can get the walls in two by moving them back next turn. Mine completes; road started.

-2230/39:
Iron Working dropped from 3 turns to 1. And so I check... BUGGER! China just got Iron Working. The bright side is that if they were researching it, then obviously it wouldn't have been worth much. I should have gone with something else - but hindsight is always 20/20, I suppose. I switch the citizens in Entremont back to working BG, and I change the tax rate to 9/1/0, which is still enough to get IW.
BT: Iron Working discovered. Mathematics started. Entremont builds walls; settler started.

-2190/40:
Tax left at 9/1/0. I will try a min-science gambit. I note that Greece knows the Japanese, French, and the Aztecs, and so do the Iriquois.

-2150/41:
Entremont -> 4; however, the 2 spearmen defending it mean that no lux tax is needed. Road finished. Worker moves E, S, E. Alesia built near the wheat. Alesia starts building a worker.

-2110/42:
neoCarthage has Writing. They will trade it for Iron Working, Ceremonial Burial, and contact with the Romans (they're RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, IDIOTS!) I do the trade. Then the Romans will trade contact with the Japanese, French, and Aztecs for Writing; I do that, too. The Japanese lack Writing, but have Mysticism and the Wheel. The French are the same; the Aztecs are similar, except that they also lack Iron Working. I trade Iron Working to the Aztecs for the Wheel + 5g; I then note that Horseback Riding is also available. So I trade Writing to Japan for Horseback Riding + 5g; then Writing to the Aztecs for Mysticism (France wanted a lot more for it). Finally, I sell it to France for 10g. I now have tech parity with the world (Greece doesn't have Horseback Riding yet!) I have the worker build a road; the fifth BG won't be in use for a while yet anyway, so there's no hurry to mine and road it.

-2070/43:
My southern scouting warrior pops a hut and gets Pictish Warriors. About time! Yep, 2/1/2, just like the scenario said.
BT: My warrior valiantly kills off one of the two barbarians - promoting in the process - but the other one kills him. Settler produced in Entremont; spearman started.

-2030/44:
The settler heads SW, W, S; he's headed for the square one more to the S, which brings lots of BG into the radius.

-1990/45:
Road completed; worker moves SE.

-1950/46:
Lugdunum established. Starts on Walls. Worker starts mining. Entremont is MM to work 2 BG and a coast tile; once again with the commerce bonus in mind.

-1910/47:
Entremont MM to work 1 BG and 2 coast tiles. I know this is very tedious, but it's worth an extra couple of gold and that could turn out to be important. Aztecs know the Egyptians; nobody else does. They will sell for 55g + 3gpt; I pay it. Egypt doesn't know anybody, and they are very backwards. I sell them Contact with the Carthaginians (the least advanced) for 10g. It was probably a mistake to buy this contact; only the Iriquois will pay anything reasonable for it (20g), and I might as well sell it to everyone since otherwise neoCarthage will flog it for techs. I get 2g from Greece, 4g from France, and I give it to Japan and China. Rome can beg the neoCarthagians for it, and the Aztecs already have it. I'm definitely down on this deal.
BT: Entremont builds spearman; another one is started.

-1870/48:
Spearman heads to Alesia.

-1790/50:
BT: Lugdunum finishes Walls and starts a worker; Alesia finishes a worker and starts Walls. Symmetry.

-1750/51:
Alesia's worker moves W to the BG.

-1725/52:
Entremont's worker finishes the mine and starts a road. Alesia's worker starts irrigating.
BT: Entremont finishes spearman. Another one started.

-1700/53:
I notice I hadn't MMed Entremont properly; it is now working 3 BG and a coast tile. The spearman heads to Lugdunum. The Iriquois and Aztecs have learned Philosophy. They will sell it to me, but there are no brokerages available, so I don't bother.

-1650/55:
Entremont's worker finishes the road. It moves S; the next step is to connect Alesia and Entremont together.
BT: Entremont builds a spearman and starts on a settler; Lugdunum builds a worker and starts a Temple (for culture).

-1625/56:
Entremont -> 5; tax to 8/1/1. Lugdunum's worker moves NW to the BG, and Lugdunum is MMed to work that square. The spearman heads to Alesia. The road to Alesia is started. Alesia's worker finishes the irrigation and starts a road. Oh, incidentally - yes, I know the irrigation bonus for a BG is lost under despotism; however, I need to pull it through for the wheat. Now Japan, Iriquois, and Aztecs have Mathematics and Philosophy. Once again there are no brokerages, though, so I keep with my min-science for Mathematics. If nothing else it makes it cheaper.

-1600/57:
Lugdunum worker starts mining.

-1550/59:
Alesia worker finishes road and moves to the wheat. Now Egypt has Philosophy (plus all my techs! Cleo must have used her feminine wiles). Greece has Mathematics, Philosophy, and Map Making (and they no longer lack Horseriding). Japan, Rome (!), France, Iriquois, and the Aztecs also have Mathemathics, Philosophy and Map Making. China has Mathemathics and Philosophy but lacks Map Making. neoCarthage is lacking all three. At a minimum, if I can get Map Making I ought to be able to get the other two.
Rome has the best deal; they will sell Map Making for just WM + 73g. I take it. Then I trade Map Making to China for Mathemathics + Territory Map, and then I trade Map Making to Egypt for Philosophy + Territory Map. I trade Philosophy + Map Making to neoCarthage for their World Map, then my World Map to Rome for their Territory Map + 8g; then my World Map to Japan for their TM + 22g; to France for TM + 12g; to Iriquois for TM + 8g; I swap WM with China; and then WM to Aztecs for TM + 16g. In effect, I paid 7g plus my WM for three techs (which gives me parity, incidentally). Science swapped to Construction (still on min science).
BT: Entremont builds settler. Spearman started.

-1525/60:
I send the settler down SW of the cow and 2 NE of a dye (an 8 turn journey). Alesia's worker starts irrigating. Japan, China, and Aztecs all have Code of Laws, but I'll wait for a brokerage.

I have 1 settler, 3 workers, 1 warrior, 5 spearmen. I have 3 towns, two of which have walls and the third of which has a granary and barracks. I lack Code of Laws, but otherwise have
tech parity: Bronze Working, Masonry, Alphabet, Pottery, the Wheel, Warrior Code, Ceremonial Burial, Iron Working, Mathematics, Writing, Mysticism, Philosophy, Map Making, and Horseback Riding. I do not have any luxuries or resources - yet. I would estimate that my mismanagement of Entremont and unfortunate choices of tech research have probably cost me a bit, but not that much - certainly I'm a lot better off than I was at this point in the GOTM.

The zip file has the save file. The PNG (the only format that was under the file size limit!) is a picture.

Attachments

• redux18_barbs_bc1525.png
    redux18_barbs_bc1525.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 538
Top Bottom