Gotm23 Sg

DaveShack@ You're in.
Karasu@ You have to be in.;) [civ3] needs all the help it can get.

I would like to get this going by next week.

The PTW team seems to have enough to get started but the Civ3 team needs at least one more player. I think five or six players would be a better team size.

I will be opening two Game Threads for these games next week. My plan is to have the first player play 20turns and each subsequent player play 10turns. We MUST stop at 1000BC to have a save game to compare for the QSC.

Play order is defined by your signup order unless someone wants to switch. That puts AlanH as the [civ3] starter and denyd as the [ptw] starter. I've been editing the first post with the rosters. Note that I've taken my name out as I would really just like to run the game and not play. We'll see.

The PTW team seems to have enough to get started but the Civ3 team needs at least one more player. I think five or six players would be a better team size.
Both lists have just three players each currently, and I agree with your team size criterion of five or six, so I'm not sure either has a quorum yet.

hehe PTW did have a quorum until I took my name off.

Originally posted by ControlFreak
Play order is defined by your signup order unless someone wants to switch.

Even with the relatively slow rate, the play order should be done by timezone to keep from having 24 hour skips. I'm on MST (Arizona), GMT -7 (?). I'm fine with using first signed up starts us off... :D

DaveShack@ When we get a full team we can swap around based on best time of day to play if you think that makes a big difference.

Anyone else want to join?

Hhhmmm... :scan:
I'm ok with starting with a smaller roster, say three or four if nobody else shows up in the next days.
And you should jump back in, CF! ;)

OK, I will start the thread(s) Monday. It looks like we will probably have two options:

1. Play with extremely short rosters (3 and {3 or 4}). That would negate the SG effect of reducing playtime per finished game.
  2. Have the PTW players get their Civ3 back out and all 6 or 7 of us could play on that.
Let me know how you want to proceed over the next few days and I'll start us off on Monday.

IF we don't get any more players then I'm happy to play in Civ 1.29

Ted

denyd and DaveShack@ what are your feelings about playing Civ3?

I haven't played in a while and I'll have to download all the files, but's that's ok with me. It's probably better actually, cause I won't have to worry about mixing GOTM 24 files with this game.

I'll set get setup this weekend and be ready by Monday. I'm ready anytime for PTW.

:beer:

With 6 or 7 players maybe we could/should try for a tighter time per turn? If people really take 72 hours per turn it'll be over two weeks between turns for each player, and, while I realise we are busy people, the game could die for lack of momentum. And with more players, switching turns becomes easier when someone can't handle a shorter turn-round time.

Let's shoot for the classic 48hour turn around but I wont ask where you are until 72. If Dave is OK with Civ3 I'll start tomorrow. If not, I don't want to pull the other three PTW players away from him until Monday in case more PTW players join. (This running an SG thing is harder than I thought. I feel really bad leaving anyone out. :undecide: )

DaveShack@ are you still around?

Could all players indicate what times (include GMT offset please) they usually play? DaveShacks suggestion to set the order based on optimal turn around time is my aim.

I'm still in. I usually "play" (not always Civ) in the UK around 20:00 to 24:00 +01:00. Those times have been known to extend in both directions ;)

The UK time offset will change to +00:00 (GMT) on 10/26/03 (or 26/10/03 if you're not in the US and prefer your dates in logical order :rolleyes: ) when daylight savings ceases. According to this calendar site that date seems to apply to most of North America and Europe, so everything should remain in sync in the northern hemisphere.

I play from GMT +1, with the same daylight saving calendar as AlanH (as far as I know).

Playing time is, strange as it may seem, also the same as AlanH with the only difference that it tends to extend into the nights and over the weekends (I swore to myself not to play at work or during physical exercise... :D ).

I'm in the UK too so GMT +1 until 20031026 (ANSI) or 26 Oct 2003 if you prefer it in old money :)

Ted

I guess I'm last on the time clock. I'm in California (GMT + 8:00) and share same time change.

I've been playing PTW for GOTM since Matrix was the moderator, does anyone know which game I should start with for the full downloads to catch up to GOTM 23?

Thanks

I would download the full install for GOTM21, the add on for 22 and 23. I suspect that there will be a lot of waste since both PTW and Civ3 put the units in the Civ3 Art\units directory. But this should ensure that you are up to date in both versions. I will be doing the same. If there are problems, I guess we need to PM the GOTM Staff.

If there is still room, I'd like to join. I've never played a GOTM before, and my SG experience is the somewhat stagnant Monarch Training game.

I have PTW 1.21, but am willing to play with Civ3 1.29 if needed. I'm at GMT -7/8.

To setup to play Gotm23 in Civ3v1.29 from scratch, you should download and install the Gotm21 full install. Then as a Minimum you should install the Gotm23-Add-On game pack. You can install the Gotm22 Add-On Pack before the Gotm23_Add_On pack if you want to make sure you have the stuff to support the Vikings civ in the Civ3v1.29 version.

One additional thing you will need to do is to repair the spain.flc files that will appear in the Civilization III/Art/Flics folder. There are several threads on this topic in the gotm foron and when you are done you should have eight copis of the spain.flc leaderhead named spain.flc through spain7.flc

As you play these games you may want to set up your own simple process for storing and retreiving the three important text files that can be shifted and updated. The Civ3v1.29 version of teh game does not have the ability to automagically shift which version of the "diplomacy.txt", "Civilopedia.txt", and "pediaicons.txt" files get used in each game. SO all the games use the same file names but the content may be different. You can tuck them away in folders with the name of the game for easy recall at a moments notice.

Top Bottom