AWAW v.1.2

BKA

Perfectionist, CIVilized
Hello All.

Finally managed to finish version 1.2 of my WWII scenario: A World At War.
I have done a lot of changes and fixes, notably:

*The American continent has been moved several squares to the East.
*Reference file for all wonders has been written.
*Graphic improvements.
*Event improvements.
*World map geografy improved.
*New techs added, harder to research techs.
*Game better balanced.

Happy downloading and have fun. :)

-BKA

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmod.shtml

Very impressive! :goodjob:

Real impressive work, Bo :)

A few bug reports and comments :

JU-88 Level Bomber
"Allows government form of same name - decreases the effect of Cathedrals" ???
(pedia)

The conquest (game.txt) message announces that "your prestige" increases, even when the enemy AI do the conquests.

Suggest replacing the reef graphic with a fish graphic - the oceans are filled with reefs after the map operation - perhaps also set the ressource pattern a little different.

Loved the "Purges in the Soviet military leadership" event :lol:

I had a long game last night and this afternoon, and had a tremendous lot of fun :D

I have now played 55 turns on the second-hardest level, as the Axis, and have conquered the Netherlands, Greece, Yugoslavia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, All of France except for the city of St.Etienne, Denmark, Bulgaria minus Galati, and all of England, except the cities of Manchester, Glasgow, Belfast and Scapa Flow. The Axis has at this point secured a decisive victory.

The Axis was able to secure a peace for a while with the Soviet Union, and when war broke out, able to secure a line in Poland, though constantly challenged by Soviet forces. The three prototypes of a Tiger Tank was very helpful in sustaining the defense on the Eastern front, and have so far survived the war to participate in the now ongoing advance against the Soviets. After securing France, the Atlantic wall was built, but only after a successful dash at invading the south coast of Britain, where Plymouth and Southampton was taken with surprisingly little effort - german paratroopers and naval bombardements made a mockery of poor English defenses. During the whole game, the vast stream of German submarines secured Axis Naval supremacy, and the UK navy only made but one attempt at invading at Dunquerque, an attempt easily squashed by Axis bombings.

Axis forces are now advancing on the Soviet Union in the North and in the South, and at war with practically everyone, including imperial Japan, concluding an alliance with the United States of America. ;)

The Minor Axis at one point joined hands with the Soviets and captured Munich, but was quickly thrown out by a mass of fanatical Hitlerjugends (Axis Partisans), where after the mass movement of Hitlerjugends crossed the Alps and attacked the rich valleys of North Italy (badly supported though, they failed). Fighting continues in small pockets at the fronts all over Europe, but Axis victory is clear. The US has (despite their war declarance) stayed out of the conflict all the game through, and not a single US ship has been sighted despite several sub patrols of the Atlantic.

Bitter fighting between the USSR and Japan in Asia. Japanese forces surprisingly succeeded at taking out the key Russian city of Krasnojarsk, but even more surprisingly, the Russians succeeded in taking the city back, much later in the game. At no point did Japan attack US possessions in the Pacific.

Comments :

Loved the new events, found a few typos though ('cubanian cigars' are 'cuban cigars').

Maybe a repeated make-aggression event between the US and Japan, and the US and Axis will help bring the US into the war? - maybe even in combination with free units generated at key entry points in Europe?

Axis economy can easily be tightened further, IMO. At no point did I face economic problems, despite maintaining a huge number of military forces all over Europe. I would like to face the selling of improvements to sustain the war effort kind of dilemma. Things would be made considerably harder, if the Axis ran into a cash deficit, perhaps further pressured with a strategical bombings event. I also think that subs and artillery are much too cost-efficient (cheap) in comparison with other units. Artillery can be pumped out in masses in a few turns, and will secure victories in sieges, if these are helped with AA guns and fighter protection. The same goes for the subs, which will easily secure naval supremacy, when they are built in great numbers, with free torpedos.

Just a few suggestions for an otherwise excellent scenario, Bo !! I especially enjoy all the sound effects and dll-pictures :)

Further playing notes :

The Russian campaign proved a more enduring challenge than the Western front. Axis forces had to withdraw and regroup at several points, before masses of engineers, protected by AA guns and fighter support, could construct railroads to transport the massive siege trains directly towards the city walls of major Russian cities. Especially Leningrad was cumbersome taking out - the AI has a bad habit of stockpiling its torpedoes in the city, which makes conquering it an unreasonably long-sustained effort. There's a long way to Moscow and Stalingrad !!

As a PS, the US navy did finally arrive at European coasts. Losing their UK base only to be renamed "UK Axis Resort", and being harrassed in Boston bay by Axis wolf packs (the masses of American battleships apparently hid in a stack there) proved too much of an insult. Several months later, the US navy finally bombarded a few English cities on the west coast of England, and landed an expeditionary force there, though they were quickly annihilated by the Wehrmacht, - without diverting ressources from the ongoing campaign in Russia. ;)

Thx for the lovely game report Morten. :king:

All your thoughts will be considered for the next upgrade.

I would like the scenario to be difficult - but it's very hard to balance. I think it could be done by creating more events based units like you also suggests - so that for instance Britain and the United States in the later stages of the war would posses a larger air fleet to harras the German homeland.

Top Bottom