Hall of Fame Rules/FAQ

Thanks to the both of you for clarifying :) I finally got the time to finish the the game. The first several turns were nerve wrenching, but no new crashes occured so it must have been the wrong smiley badge file in this case that caused the crash. Boy do I feel stupid.

The funny thing is, and the main reason I love this game, is that when you've pushed through the final turns of the game, which some times feel endless, and the game does not end quite as well as you hoped, then you find yourself already thinking, about what kind of game to play next and how you could improve on the last one. At this rate I'll even start reading the war academy at some point :D. However thanks for the HOF, however ancient ;), it really pushes you to seek diveristy in your game setups.

I prefer to think of the HOF as something that "will stand the test of time" rather than something "ancient"...

Ancient was meant in the best of ways. The HOF and Civ 3 can most definitely stand the test of time. You guys still keeping it running and people finding their way back is a testament to that :)

I wonder why here ptw and c3c Deity are declared as different difficulty levels? According editor differences are pretty insignificant!

The score multiplier scale is different in Conquests. In the Vanilla and PTW games, Deity multiplied the base score by a factor of 6. Conquests does it at a factor of 7, with Demigod getting 6.

Thanks, completely forgot the score factor! Heh. :mischief:

Well, then another question: in 20k style games ptw's MGLs have ability for great wonder rushing, and so (as I assume) great impact on victory date; but current HoF tables in 20k haven't a single [ptw] entry. What's the advantage of [c3c]?

many more AA wonders :secret:
;)
t_x

Hahaha, thanks. Should force myself to play conquests someday...

@'slug: Civil Engineer Bug.
As a long-time Milker, and "Manager" of up to 511 cities per game(!), I understand the extreme power of using this exploit. (Not that I do). After agonizing over the vague wording of this exploit in the Yellow Section, my suggestion is to make this a Banned Exploit (viz. RED Section)........My second choice would be to make it an Acceptable Tactic. (viz. GREEN Section).

My proposal:
Replace this: "This technique is not considered an exploit when used in moderation to gain a few shields here and there but extensive use of this technique should be avoided." with "When a Civil Engineer is used in the construction of a City Improvement, Hurrying Production followed by switching to a City Improvement requiring a greater number of shields is Banned."

Bottom Line: Unless you can be more explicit with the Yellow Section rule, make it a Red or Green Rule.

We should have at least ONE Rule Change every 10 years, don't you think? :mischief::shifty:;):D:lol:

Last edited:
Tightening the rules at this point is probably not ever going to happen, because let's be honest, how is this place even still going in the first place?

As far as loosening them, I'm also opposed. The yellow nature means I have something I can execute at will and leave all of you my minions cowering in fear over my game by game decisions. Bwahhahahahah.

You're one Badassed Moderator, 'slug ..............Change your Handle to Emperor superslug! :egypt:

Thanks for "Keeping The Store Open"..........I think Civ 3 still has plenty of life left in it!

Happy Holidays. :)

I understand that reloading generally gets understood as illegal.

The rules say:

"Reloading a save to try and change game events is not allowed."

And then allow for reloading in the case of a game crash, and disallows for reloading to avoid triggering domination victories.

Is the following use of reloading legal?

You reload the map, don't move anything around, and look at the terrain types of squares when you first saw them. In this way you might more easily predict where advanced resources lay before any sort of clear-age.

Yeah, if you're just looking and not saving, that's okay...

Didn't there use to be someplace on this forum where (before doing anything on the 4000BC turn), you could save and upload the file to make sure that it is HOF-Compliant?

I apologize if I missed it, but I've been looking for a half an hour so far, and I can't seem to find it.

Yes, I believe you can still check your 4000BC starting map. (Viz. The procedure hasn't changed):
1. Go to http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/user_4000bc.php
2. Login/Submit...........Enter Name & Password.
3. 4000BC.
4. Browse.
5. Check.

Last edited:
The 4000bc tool has saved lots of people lots of time over the years, in terms of both staff not having to reject games based on missed settings and players pouring hundreds of hours into a game only to find out it was always a lost cause. Even veterans are encouraged to double check their games before getting too far into them.

OK. Now I'm finally on the way to beginning a game! I have C3C installed in a directory outside of the Program Files Folder and I have MapFinder working. (It found me a juicy-looking starting position on the 6th Iteration.) I checked it with the HoF, and it passed! :goodjob:

Now to download CivAssist II, find and download the Smiley-face citizen mod, find and download the terrain mod (that I had so long ago that I forget what it's called), and find and download the ocean water mod, and then, I'll begin.

Edit: Got the smiley-face mod! Not the one that I had, but it'll do.
Edit #2: The Terrain mod was in the game the whole time: Sn00py's Terrain (greener), which also contains the water mod.

Last edited:
I have a question about the Civ3 Rules. Is it allowed to make a peace treaty with an AI thus AI gives luxurys or resources to me? Then break the luxury route to my capital will result AI declaring war on me giving me War happiness and not losing my reputation.
This is what I found on rules:

GPT for Upfront (Civ/PtW/C3C)

Signing GPT for upfront compensation from the AI, and then using a declaration of war or disconnect of trade route to cancel the deal. Comes with a reputation hit in some cases, in others it is free.

I have a very good SID Huge milking going. I am at 350AD and well ahead of Drazek's 93k score game. I play with the Sumerians and got a SGL for the Pyramids :) It is possible even on Huge SID. Of course I got it with Ceremonial Burial (cheapest 1st level tech) You just have to find right opponents. It took several test runs to find out which opponents won't research CB on as first or second tech. Thus no Religious Leaders :lol: (and place Industrious leaders on top column to make a trade for Masonry) Only negative side is the low domination limit of 4419 :cry:

Last edited:
I have another crazy idea. What if I make a ROP with luxyres and disconnect my capital this would cause ROP break. I won't lose ever my ROP reputation :crazyeye:

Top Bottom