Old now newbie question

Dawg

Chieftain
I used to play BTS on my Windows computer and played a lot. Now I have an iMac and want to play again, but do not want to deal with having to log in to Steam. I had previously bought Civ V, and Steam sucked for me. I don't play online. It seems when I search for a Civ IV complete, it all says something about Steam. if i buy that, do I have to deal with Steam? I searched, but did not find an answer to my question. Thanks in advance.
Dawg

I used to play BTS on my Windows computer and played a lot. Now I have an iMac and want to play again, but do not want to deal with having to log in to Steam. I had previously bought Civ V, and Steam sucked for me. I don't play online. It seems when I search for a Civ IV complete, it all says something about Steam. if i buy that, do I have to deal with Steam? I searched, but did not find an answer to my question. Thanks in advance.
Dawg

I wouldn't advise purchasing any version of BTS for Mac other than the Steam version. Reasons:

• The AppStore version of Civ4 doesn't support Warlords or BTS.

• Disc versions of BTS for Mac still require the CD to be in a drive.

• Disc versions of BTS for Mac are no longer supported by Aspyr. They will not run on Yosemite or later versions of OS X without making changes to your System folder. No guarantee this solution will keep working in future versions of macOS.

• Aspyr did (eventually) fix that issue on the Steam version though, making it clear that it's the only version that will be maintained, albeit very rudimentarily (they refuse to fix many other Mac specific bugs).​

I understand your dislike of Steam, I avoid it myself where possible. I'm still using a disc version of BTS for Mac but I'll be forced to switch to the Steam one eventually. The other option is to use the Windows version via bootcamp, WINE, or via virtualisation like Parallels. Not ideal, but you do get full multiplayer and mod support (DLL mods are not supported by any version of BTS for Mac, including Steam). I also use the WINE implementation, it works pretty well assuming you can get it running in the first place (bit tricky). I'd use it exclusively but I'm still committed to my mod being Mac compatible, so I run both.

Thanks for the reply and information. I tried wine and had some issues getting it to run. When I found out how inexpensive buying it was, I abandoned that effort. Now problems in this direction, so I'll go back and try that some more. Thanks again. When I tried to run the Wine install, I get two FIXME errors. I'll research that next.

Top Bottom