Heavy Swordsman (Oct 21, 2008)

@Plotinus: yes, I've learned a lot on how to use figures, props and textures (and many more)... but palettes and such are a real pain to me, I may ask for help again... are you ok with it Vulda ? I'll try all the tutorials you sent me, but I'm still not self-assured about it.

you've done what I couldn't, congrats dude! he's a beauty :D:goodjob:

Seconded. I could not accomplish this either. True it would help if I had the cash to buy Poser or Bryce, but there are free programs that I have tried....and failed with.

This is a great looking unit, and I hope to see more awesome units in the future! :cheers:

@Tank Guy#3: why don't you try DAZ Studio ? Sure it's not quite like Poser, but you can do a lot with it ! Same for Partizanac, you guys should try and ask questions to any unitmaker you know. With utahjazz's tutorial and props, Kinboat's figures and props and odintheking's library, almost anyone can make units. I'm proving it !

Palettes and such are tedious, but they are not difficult when you get the hang of it. I find that the most pernickety part is getting the colours in the units_32 image right. As usual though, Vuldacon's the man to ask about that sort of thing.

Now that's a good way to make a unit-making debut! :goodjob:

Palettes and such are tedious, but they are not difficult when you get the hang of it. I find that the most pernickety part is getting the colours in the units_32 image right. As usual though, Vuldacon's the man to ask about that sort of thing.

Well Stormrage and my self have poser but we balkan guys are just too lazy to use this program :D (but I did try :rolleyes:) maybe one day... ;)

Looks great.:goodjob:

A very fine first unit. Glad to see that it got completed.:)

check if the palette of the image is 256 colors. also, it would've been better I think to post this question in the main forums instead of bumping an old thread

I use paint shop pro 7, im pretty sure u can download a trial for free, and if you open the picture, with the default interface, on the right it shows the palette. usually you'll just see a palette with colors going smoothly into eachother. you don't want this, it means it has a 16 million color palette.

to make it 256 colors you need to load a palette that has that ammount of colors, but ofcourse, you want the colors in the picture to match the ones on your palette, otherwise the color would pick the closest matching color, wich may be for example, if it has green, and you don't have it in your palette, it'll become blue (if this is in your palette)

I'm quite positive there is a detailed palette making tutorial in the tutorial forum. If not, download utahjazz's tutorial and skip to the part about palettes.

If the problem comes from this units' icons, then it's the right place to post and I'll check them. If you're asking for a tutorial there's a lot of them in the tutorials section ;)
It's cool to see people are still playing the WH Mod too :)

I corrected the Heavy Swordsman Civilopedia Large and Small images so they have correct transparent slots in their palettes. Both had white set as the transparent colors which is the background color for the images.

Attachments

• HS_Icons.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 57
On Behalf of themanuneed... Here is a Preview of the Heavy Swordsman.
Note that because some animations are at different Flc Speeds, they are not shown in this preview as they appear in Game. For example, The Run and Sword Thrust are faster and naturally the Default is slower.
I simply set all animations at 70 speed to put them all together for this preview.

Top Bottom