How to Add/Use These New Units

Please! If someone can help me! :)

I've put all the .flc, .pcx in the proper folders BUT, when I go editing my unit on the edit rules of my .bix file, I can't find the icon of my unit!

More information : I talking about the "voyageur" unit and, my civIII is PTW, in the 1.14f version...

If you think you can help me, I'll realy apreciate!

'Sup y'all I'm new here, and I've got a question you've probably been asked a bazillion times but I'm gonna ask anyway: are there any other ways to add units to my scenarios?

Hi there. I don't have problems adding units what I do have problems with is the UNITS_32.pcx file.
I cant add Icons to it with out causing the game to crash. For example, I downloaded and put into the game the "beholder". There is a "pink" Icon called "beholder units 32" I think. I have used a program called "Irfanview" to copy and paste into Units 32. I place it in one of the blocks and it is there in the "conquests editor - unit editor" icons right after a moble same battery, icon 203 I think. When I go into the game it crashes right after I build the first city.
If I don't play around with the "Units 32" file and just use another icon it works fine.
The new unit works fine (if I do have the new icon) if I place one in the scenario and I use it before I build a city. But as soon as I build my first city the game crashes. Any thoughts?

Didn't work :(
I have some more info. When I add or do anything to Units_32.pcx there is a change on the map in Civedit
If you place any units on a map they appear as normal units image. But if I do anything to the Units_32 file they appear as a picture of the unit in a pink block.

Sounds to me like your program infraview is screwing up the pallette. Do a google search for Gimp. That is a free graphic program that allows you edit and maintain a pcx's pallette.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
I woke up the gimp and it works great. I can now add icons:thumbsup:

Hi.
I have been looking around for the appropriate thread for help on the units, and am having trouble. My questions may have been answered already, but I can't find them because I'm unsure what all these terms mean. What is PTW, and how do i know if I have it, or Civ3C, or vanilla, or what? This may seem lik a stupid question, but my knowledge of civilization edit is limited to...
I had the game awhile and one day I finally noticed---An editor? AWESOME!
So anyway, if someone could private message me on the forum with simple, easy instructions, it would be GREAT. Here's all I want--
I figured out how to MODIFY techs and units, and make units need different technologies and stuff. But I can't add new units or rename existing ones (eg, I can get a musketman to BEHAVE like a wizard, but it's called musketman and looks like one) How do i give units new names and possibly new images? Thank you!

PTW - Play the World Expansion Pack
C3C - Civ 3: Conquests Expansion Pack
Vanilla - Original Civilization 3

yes, but then when i try to play, once i build the unit, the program "performs an illegal operation" and closes. It works when i keep the unit name, but trying to change it messes something up.

Hi,
I don't seem to be able to find on those forum a answer to my question. Maybe because I'm playing Civilization III.
I managed to add new civilization into the game, and it works. But what I can't do is to add a new icon to my newly created unit.
I've tried adding it into the civilopedia and pediaicons, but it still doesn't kick in.
Could someone explain to a blond as to a blond step by step how to?????
Or, if anyone could be so kind to tell me where can I get CivIIIconquests expansion????
thank you very much

Welcome to CFC!

To add an icon for the unit, you need to specify where to find it in the PediaIcons.txt file. If you open that file up and browse through it, you'll find a section where all the headings are ICON_PRTO_... - these provide paths for the game to find the icons for the units. Create a section in the same style for your own unit. Don't forget to specify in the Editor what the pedia entry for the unit will be. For example, if you specify that it will be PRTO_Myunit, then in the PediaIcons.txt you should have a section called ICON_PRTO_Myunit, followed by two lines, one giving the location of the large icon and the other giving the location of the small icon.

To get Conquests, I'd say you're best off looking on eBay, or perhaps Amazon.

It's better to ask questions in the main Creation & Customization forum, though. People are more likely to see them there.

I really hate to ask this, but I'm going to. I've tried to add units according to the various posts on this forum, but for some reason, it's not working for me. I must be doing everything wrong. Could someone please send me directions that a 2nd grader could understand? I have conquests. I need directions telling where exactly everything should be saved to make the units work, help with the editor, anything. If anyone has step by step instructions could you send them to me at firehawk2424@rkymtn.net I would really aprecciate it

Colonel Kraken's tutorial was very good and we are all eternally grateful to him for all the work and mentoring he put into it. Good as it was it did miss out some essential information for the computer illiterate such as myself. Things like when saving a scenario it needs to be saved as .bix and some examples of what a scenario path would actually look like in the scenario properties would help no end. I know this all probably goes without saying to more experienced computer users. Nevertheless it would be great to see a tutorial which actually "hand holds" the computer illiterate all the way through the process. A lot to ask I know as it would involve a huge amount of time and work for whoever wrote the tutorial and maybe it will never be done. In the meantime I suppose us computer duffers will just have to proceed by trial and error and gleaning what help we can from the posts here and elsewhere.

I have just about the same problem as Yamato, so I took the advice you gave him. problem: I'm nearly computer illiterate. care to give me a quick walkthrough on editing palletes?

ok please dont laugh im having trouble creating subfolders inside senarios can anyone help i would appreciate it. I know im a noob;)

Top Bottom