Best Civs for Modern Warfare

Westcliff

Chieftain
In my many Civ V games until now, i've never fought a war in the modern era and used units as stealth bomers, giant death robots, Paratroopers an so on.

Therefore i now want to play a domination game wich stretches out to this late era of the game and have to concluded there in a military matter (dont want to win before that or with another victory type).

Which Civilizations do you think are best suited for an approach to modern warfare? Also wich AI CIVs may be the most interesting or challanging in this era?

Germany is great for modern wars. Their UA starts to really benefit them in the late game when armies get bigger and they have the Panzer which is a pretty nice unit. I like to kick out a bunch of panzers and air units and use blitzkrieg tactics. Weaken them with air strikes then mop 'em up with tanks. Go Autocracy and make sure to get lightning warfare

Another surprisingly fun one is India. I know it sounds crazy but in the late game their cities are generally producing less unhappiness than other civs and they suffer less unhappiness when taking larger cities than another civ. In the late game a lot of the cities you take will be larger so India's UA starts to be pretty beneficial. Turtle most of the game then around the industrial or so start building an invasion force and go crazy. Keep the good cities and raze the bad ones. Go for freedom and take volunteer army asap. Those foreign legions are pretty strong if you can get them early.

Really any civ that either has a late UU or a UU with a good carryover promotion can be fun for late wars. I just finished a game as Indonesia where I spammed Kris swordsmen to get ones with good promotions (restlessness and invulnerability rock!). I didn't start my domination until later in the game but those infantry units were just as awesome then as they would have been in the classical.

Good challenging AIs I remember having fun late battles with were Germany, Ethiopia, America, Mongolia (when they use Kahns right), Rome and Greece. Neither Greece or Rome should be anything special later but they generally build good strong empires with an army to back it up. One that should be good but always disappoints me is Japan. He never seems to be able to keep up in tech and doesn't expand very well. He's usually pretty weak in the late game. Out of the new civs Assyria and the Zulus seem to be the only ones who are better at warmongering which makes sense.

Funny thing is when it comes to the AI a lot of it depends on the map and what random flavor they get when they spawn. The actual civ doesn't really matter for the AI as much as you'd think it should.

China - the enhanced Great Generals are useful throughout the entire game, and any Chu-Ko-Nus can eventually be upgraded into 2-attack Bazookas

Persia - Golden ages power up all of your soldiers (kind of like Advance Wars actually), and combining it with Universal Suffrage can be powerful

Russia - double strategic resources (for more tanks, planes, battleships and so on) and thus double nukes too!

America - if you make lots of Minutemen, then you can upgrade them to Mechanized Infantry which ignore movement costs which is CRAZY. You get bombers with free Siege too. Extra LOS is also nice.

Germany - Less maintenance for your army means you can support a larger army financially. Panzers are very nice for modern warfare too.

Mongolia - Khans remain equally powerful in the modern age, even as the movement advantage for cavalry goes away.

England - only on naval maps, extra movement still helps out a lot with moving your navy and positioning.

Ottomans - Only on naval maps, free capture promotion and reduced maintenance lets you acquire and support very large navies (which can overcome England's movement advantage)

Inca - No movement penalty in hills is incredibly powerful.

Carthage - ONLY an advantage if there are mountains. If there are, then you can easily bypass normal defenses with your mobile units (not just paratroopers and helicopters).

Ethiopia - ONLY if playing defense (and not the leading Civ). The defense boost remains powerful into the modern age.

Zulu - obviously, reduced maintenance and more promotions for the same amount of XP means larger, better trained armies.

Sweden - Caroleans (upgraded into modern units) are very difficult to kill on offense and especially defense.

Top Bottom