[QUESTION] How do you use Steam Workshop Mods on the Mac Version?

@Ford. Rebooting a computer just to download a file is probably too much effort for me.

Yeah, if I have to reboot to Windows, launch Steam, and then go to workshop and get the mod, I might as well just play the game there. I love my Mac, but, if I'm already in Windows to get the mod, I might as well play it under Windows anyway, and not go to the trouble of procuring/unpacking/moving the mod to the right place Mac-side. It's not that any of those things are difficult; just annoying to have to bother with.

As I've pointed out before, once DLL support comes, and all the good mods use it, Mac users are screwed again, unless something changes.

Frankly, I find it heroic that we got the game at the same time as the PC - or even at all. How many times does that happen for premium games? Everything else is just gravy.

Frankly, I find it heroic that we got the game at the same time as the PC - or even at all. How many times does that happen for premium games? Everything else is just gravy.

In 2005, I would have called it 'heroic'. Now, with Bootcamp available, and Blizzard showing how a Mac can/should be supported with SC2 including the full editor and everything, I don't think simultaneous release of an expansion is enough on its own. Port the whole thing, or, charge me less for the incomplete product.

Don't insult me by asking me to pay the same price for the Mac and Windows versions, when the Mac:

1) has no modding tools

2) no access to Steam Workshop, or at least no way to even download the mods

3) starts out with no built-in mod support, though you can load some and get them to work for now.

4) as far as we know now, will not get DLL support for mods, so when that comes, there go most of the best mods, too

If you're going to give me, the Mac user, a crippled version, then charge me less.

^ me too. I was just discussing this on another thread. There is a pretty cool looking Finland civ that is available through Steam workshop, but I can't download and install it.

^ I'm in the same boat as you lol. I think I might just put windows on my Mac using Bootcamp and installing civ in the Windows side

And got the Mod button to show up, and able to click on it with no problems, but NO mods are showing up on the choose menu! Also replaced the "InstalledPanel.xml" file wit the one that was posted on here... Mods still do not show up except for the ones that came with the purchase.

I've just downloaded the recent release of Civ 5 - not G&K - the anniversary package, or whatever it's called. It's version 1.0.1.705 and comes with 5 pre-installed DLCs.

I have two mods in the MOD folder - the R.E.D. mod that changes the look of the characters and vehicles and the "not another map package" one, from the same modder.

I'm assuming many of you are running 1.0.1.705 since stream updates automatically...

Any help will be great at solving this.

Oh yea, and one thing I did do, not sure if this was part of the original comment... There was some weird comment written next to the infamous line about some guy named "rick" or something similar and ended with "happy modding"... I don't remember the exact comment, but it had "--MAC PORT", "rick", and "happy modding!". Maybe I should have left it?

hold up, never mind... I think I figured out the problem, I have to expand the mods in windows before putting them in the MOD folder on OSX...

Hi, welcome

You can expand the mods on the Mac using Ez7z. You don't need to do it in Windows.

It sounds as if you deleted the line with RickB's comment. The recommendation is to disable it by putting two minus signs at the start of the line. Deleting it will work, but makes it a little more difficult to revert if you ever wanted to.

EDIT: I'm dumb, missed the post in the other thread where you quoted the two filepaths side by side. Maybe that post should be reworked into the FAQ sticky for ease of finding it. Thanks all.

Original post below:

Hey AlanH, I'm having a problem with getting the mods button to show up in G&K.
Post-expansion, I dont have a
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua
I have a
~/library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/sid meier's civilization V/CivilizationV: Gods & Kings.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua
I commented out the line about hiding the mods button, but am not seeing it in the Main Menu when I boot up G&K.
I've looked through all the threads linked from this and the FAQ, and don't know what I'm missing.
Is there another .lua hiding somewhere I need to edit, or did Version 1.0.7 disable the mods button? Whats going on here?
Thanks for any help.

I don't know about vanilla and GnK, but from the BNW, we Mac users can now just click on the MOD link from the main menu to “use Steam Workshop Mods on the Mac Version”.

It was relatively straightforward even if it took me a bit to figure out how to exit the Steam mods overlay and return back to the game after finding and installing the mod I was looking for. None that follows the usual OS X UI patterns any better than CivV does!

No downloading, no using a text editor. It was all pretty sweet!

Top Bottom