Anyone understand Cultural Victory?

thetallOne

I believe it's important to maintain some army. The exact number will likely depend on your neighboring Civs. From YouTube videos and my own experience it seems you might be able to get away with keeping your tech low after Archers/Composite Bowmen then get caught up at Gatling gun. But you can't completely ignore your army. Citadels seem to help in defensive games as well as well as Walls. But you can't completely ignore army especially on higher difficulties.

I watched a Lets Play where they beeline'd for a fast Tech Victory and I was very surprised at how much military he built. You can't completely ignore it, just like you don't completely ignore Tech when going for Domination.

Of course, this all needs to be retested with BNW.

1 city writer's guild, 1 city musician guild, 1 city artist.
Spam archeos when tech researched.
Spam culture buildings.
Buy OB with GPT from runaway, diplomat in his city.
Bulb Musicians inside runaway's territory.
Buy all CS, get congress host.
Your religion = World religion.
Research Radio.
Your ideology = World ideology.

Win.

Cultural Victory is easily attainable if you

take all of their cities except capitals....

other than that it's tedious.

(Also, did I just ressurect a dead thread? Sorry, but I got internet access now after so long..)

I am guessing that for a good tourism win you probably do want to plant artists in landmarks - also get rationalism finished - 12 culture per turn from the landmark vs 2 you would have from th egreat work of art? Or am I missing something?

There are a LOT of factors that go into getting a culture victory. Small note, it's misleading calling it a "culture" victory, it's really a "tourism" victory. Some culture indirectly increases your tourism, slight misnomer.

Some other notes that I didn't see in this tread: Getting early culture wonders (ones with theming bonuses) makes a HUGE difference. Remember to win a culture victory, it's your tourism vs their culture. So if you can deny culture to the AI CIV it will go a long way as well as getting early tourism will help shave turns in the long run. This is one of the reasons non-warring deity cultural wins are nearly impossible.

If you're not able to secure early culture wonders, then warring helps quite a bit. Attack the civ with the highest culture brings your tourism up and their culture down.

Top Bottom