Runaways are back after the Patch

Easier said than done, especially when AI's later in the game tend to hoard up their units at their capital.

A few surprise nukes launched from carriers / submarines usually does the trick

That can also be a most inconvenient solution when crippling a runaway might not be achieved simply by taking his capital and it might earn you a warmongering reputation.... bye-bye DoF, RA etc.

Bit of track from the OP.. but i found that i didn't get ANY penalty with the AI who had denounced the AI i was conquering.. It was the most aggressive AI (killed a Civ), but only the civ which didn't also denounce had a penalty towards me. This was after I wiped the civ from the map... So it can be done :)

regarding late-game runaways and Science: game this wkend i watched the Inca swallow up his giant continent (after extinguishing Shaka's huge empire) and only leaving a smidgeon of Arabia up at the top. he had roughly 20 cities and massive culture and had Influential over 3 AI cultures at this point. i was more worried about a SV on his part, yet he ended up plateau-ing on his Science progress while i accelerated ahead, then he proposed Arts Funding in the WC. i suppose this was an example of an AI now clearly deciding on a win condition and following it. i just want to know if the AI code checks for # of cities and decides from there if SV would be too slow for him.

Maybe the AI over-expanded and nerfed their science rate due to # of cities?

regarding late-game runaways and Science: game this wkend i watched the Inca swallow up his giant continent (after extinguishing Shaka's huge empire) and only leaving a smidgeon of Arabia up at the top. he had roughly 20 cities and massive culture and had Influential over 3 AI cultures at this point. i was more worried about a SV on his part, yet he ended up plateau-ing on his Science progress while i accelerated ahead, then he proposed Arts Funding in the WC. i suppose this was an example of an AI now clearly deciding on a win condition and following it. i just want to know if the AI code checks for # of cities and decides from there if SV would be too slow for him.

It can raze them, if it's going for a SV. I had a huge Autocrat Casimir who did just that. He played fairly tall until the Renaissance or so. Then he conquered an insane amount of cities on the continent and kept around 30 incl. his. After that he just came in, captured and razed, razed, razed. He had his NC up in Warsaw and academies, built universities and RL, had finished Rationalism This more than offset his science penalty for # of cities, and he was 2 spaceship parts away from his SV when I finally won. He could also have gone for Culture, except with me and the 3rd culture leader he was influential at least with all remaining civs and had beaten me to the Great Firewall before I reached Internet, blocking my CV.

Top Bottom