AI unit movement in fog of war takes a lot of turn time.

Autoclave

Warlord
I noticed that the sole reason why turns take so much time to process past the renaissance is because everybody has a lot of units to move. And what i don't understand is why the AI that has units in the Fog, units that you do not see, are actually performing the movement animation which takes a huge amount of time.

If you turn off unit movement (so they just teleport), then the turns will be incredibly fast. But this is not what I want, I want to see the movement of units within my field of view, but i don't care what happens in fog of war.

Why didn't folks at Firaxis thought this one out? make the AI units in fog of war teleport, it's not that I need to see that stuff happening.

I think the biggest time eater when loading isn't the AI civs, it's the city states. If anything should be sped up, it should be the CS processing, as I think each individual one is processed as a civ, and they take much longer collectively as there are 16 CSs in a standard game

I noticed that the sole reason why turns take so much time to process past the renaissance is because everybody has a lot of units to move. And what i don't understand is why the AI that has units in the Fog, units that you do not see, are actually performing the movement animation which takes a huge amount of time.

If you turn off unit movement (so they just teleport), then the turns will be incredibly fast. But this is not what I want, I want to see the movement of units within my field of view, but i don't care what happens in fog of war.

Why didn't folks at Firaxis thought this one out? make the AI units in fog of war teleport, it's not that I need to see that stuff happening.
Hey thanks for pointing this out! I'm rarely at war, and at times of peace when 95% of the AI units are in the fog of war, I'm more than happy to turn off unit movement if it gets me through the turns quicker.

Agree it is a pretty poor implementation through if we're waiting for unit movement animations in fogs..

I made the mistake of letting Poland get to about 60 cities in my current game. His turn processing got up to 5 minutes or so in Modern (too many friggin planes he keeps shuffling between towns)... so I did my best to antagonize him and final DoWed when he backstabbed me. Now that he's been losing a lot of units to attrition, his turn goes by pretty quick!

The AI seems to LOVE getting their planes out and about! I'm sure we've all seen the AI flying them between cities every turn they're not at war. Maybe they're just trying to get airmiles? At least the planes per city have been capped, so no more 100+ flights per turn :p

Top Bottom