tech path for domination

jdolan98

Chieftain
I am currently playing on King difficulty (getting ready for emperor) and have been trying to get a Domination Victory opposed to Science which is my usual goal. I have a rough idea of what i should be aiming for, Right now my Tech Path is

Animal Hus. - Archery - The Wheel - then Math to the next era

Is this correct or should i go for Iron Working (That just seems to take too long) or Comp Bow with construction

PLAYING AS ENGLAND

Just a thought, England's greatest strength is it's navy (of which most find it unparalleled, though I would probably argue that the Ottomans can compare at least...). Unless you chose Pangaea, I'd do a normal naval tech path. Conquer all the coastal cities you can, use your super bowman to protect new conquers. :splat: Build a lead like this, go in for the kill. :devil:

Of course, if you want to have fun, you could swap for Assyria on Pangaea, then only take military techs (get the rest via conquering).

England's greatest strength is it's navy (of which most find it unparalleled, though I would probably argue that the Ottomans can compare at least.

The Dutch (sea beggars) clearly have a stronger navy than England.

The Dutch (sea beggars) clearly have a stronger navy than England.

Bless you Holywar, you won't give it up will you?! One day we'll have to MP so you can show me what I'm doing wrong.

...back to OP: I play as England a helluva lot: I usually tech path through pottery, writing, lux techs, archery, then fairly typical route to get NC, markets and then Unis - then I go naval techs, catching up the other missed techs whilst I'm building navy/exploring the seas. Whilst I prefer Dom VC I always push science progress hard because I want the chance to build some of the mid to late game wonders (e.g. I want Brandenburg, Eiffel - I target any civ that built Notre Dame, Forbidden P etc.)
This works very well on King.

The most OP unit for land domination is the archer line. Archer/Composite/Crossbow/Gatling/Machine/Bazooka are all VERY strong units for the era for both attack and defense. They're broken.

The most OP unit for sea domination is the Galleas line.
Galleas/Frigate/Battleship are super strong.

Just build a bunch of those with a couple horse units to capture cities. Being England further cements this decision. Ships of the Line will dominate any sea battles as well.

England is one of the best civ for combined land/sea warfare because is has an OP unique unit for both of the OP unit lines.

Bless you Holywar, you won't give it up will you?! One day we'll have to MP so you can show me what I'm doing wrong.

...back to OP: I play as England a helluva lot: I usually tech path through pottery, writing, lux techs, archery, then fairly typical route to get NC, markets and then Unis - then I go naval techs, catching up the other missed techs whilst I'm building navy/exploring the seas. Whilst I prefer Dom VC I always push science progress hard because I want the chance to build some of the mid to late game wonders (e.g. I want Brandenburg, Eiffel - I target any civ that built Notre Dame, Forbidden P etc.)
This works very well on King.

and with England, you don't really need to tech military path. You have two spies to do that for you. :D while you take navy path to control the coast\sea and sea trade routes. :D

Animal Hus. - Archery - The Wheel - then Math to the next era

Is this correct or should i go for Iron Working (That just seems to take too long) or Comp Bow with construction

PLAYING AS ENGLAND

This is probably the super slow method with England (or any civ for that matter). I have done Archery first, then build the ToA, if you just keep focusing on growth it should finish around T30ish, then you can build the HG (if you are very lucky on high difficulty). After that you get a very late NC, a somewhat late Education, and are on track with Plastics.

You will probably do best by heading to philosophy and education as fast as possible, while picking up BW early enough to make sure you settle iron. Then just run up the sailing techs and get your SoL's out. You can do some early warmongering with archers to dispel the boredom

You will probably do best by heading to philosophy and education as fast as possible, while picking up BW early enough to make sure you settle iron. Then just run up the sailing techs and get your SoL's out. You can do some early warmongering with archers to dispel the boredom

Agreed. I often use Oxford to get Navigation and upgrade my Galleases whilst I'm researching something like Guilds or Machinery. If I didn't manage to XP the SOTL as Galleases I go pester some barb camp that the caravels find, otherwise I'm getting ready for my first real naval assault at this point. If one of my other cities has good production I'll build a privateer to go with the 'fleet' otherwise the first city gets captured by caravel and I build or buy one after that (usually build because I want the cash for longbow upgrades).

Top Bottom