Glitch with defensive pact?

warmonger

Conservative Greenie
I was trying for a science win instead of my normal domination strategy so I deliberately kept my army small so that I wouldn't get tempted.

Continents map - me and 4 other civs on my continent; 3 on ther other. I tried to play nice but I knew I was going to be dog piled by others on my continent. I had declaration of friendship and defensive pact with the big army guy on the other continent and DoF's with 2 civs on my continent.

3 civs declared on me on the same turn (2 of them were back stabs). The defensive pact ensured that my big bad partner was at war with all 3 of them, right? No, of course not- much too logical. It worked for the 1st civ to declare but it was then cancelled. So the 2nd and 3rd civs to declare were not at war with the big guy.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? I don't know because in my domination games I would never have a DoF or defensive pact.

That's the way it works. The first DOW cancels the pact.

That's reason #437 why I never use DPs.

That's the way it works. The first DOW cancels the pact.

That's reason #437 why I never use DPs.

Well, that sucks. I thought it would last the turn before it would be cancelled.

Another reason to stick to domination. Going for science was pretty boring - set production, move worker, hit enter, hit enter, hit enter, watch a lot of stuff happen elsewhere, hit enter, hit enter, move worker, hit enter.............

Looks like it's back to clearing the map for me.

How did you get into a defensive pact? I have never had a defensive pact as they always refuse...

As you found out though their rubbish anyway. If we wished to give Firaxis credit we would say it wasn't tested enough because they are of so little use no one ever bothers anyway.
If i was to be more realistic based of other similar examples i would say it was simply rubbish design that just never got changed because defensive pacts are used so little that any issues are very rarely heard of and a lot of that reason is because especially up to G&K it seemed impossible to even get one never mind build large defensive pacts similar to NATO and The Warsaw Pact that could make a difference.

This is one of the very few instances i look back on previous games with my rose tinted goggles, remembering the huge late game world wars that would happen as civs would divide into 2 or more armed camps based on multiple defensive pact treaties and then someone would push the button and half the world was at war with the other half.

Getting the defensive pact was easy. We had been trading for centuries; shared an idealogy; early DoF; I had bribed him to beat down his neighbours; we were great mates.

Must have renewed that pact 4 times before I really needed it - then it was bloddy useless. The first civ to declare was the furtherest from him.

I remember those world wars in earlier civs. It was great fun if you could start them but not get too involved until both sides were crippled - then walk in an cleanup.

I've gotten into loads of defensive pacts before, I just wish the AI engaged in more defensive pacts with other AI.

Yeah they are broken. They break off after 1 DoW and the AI rarely respects them anyway making them worthless. I also had a game where Siam re-asked for a defensive pact every 2 turns and every time I accepted it failed to show in the deals list, causing him to ask again...it was literally the most annoying thing...he finally got attacked and wouldn't you know, I didn't DoW because the pact never worked. So I had to get warmonger points to go help my ally.

Top Bottom