Firaxis at Pax East 2014 - Speculations?

civ IV sure isn't dead

Really? I think IV is barely on life support. Sure, you can still buy IV heavily discounted, but isn’t that just what ever is leftover in the distribution chain? Are they pressing new CDs and printing new boxes? When was the last IV patch? The community is going strong, but is Faraxis making any serious money from IV at this point? (Yes, everything is digital downloads nowadays, and IV will be on sale indefinitely that way, and every sale is pure profit so it hardly matter if it’s very little. But I think you understand why I am questioning this assertion.)

They'll announce Civ VI is in the works, and release a patch that adds a second leader to many Civ V civs, and that they're done with that game.

Maybe the former, definitely not the latter.

My money's on something totally new and non-Civ related. If it is Civ-related, then a further full expansion or Civ6.

They'll announce Civ VI is in the works, and release a patch that adds a second leader to many Civ V civs, and that they're done with that game.

At least something is wrong in this sentence even if it's just the word patch. Civ5 is not balanced around multiple leaders per Civ. But even if they chose to go that route, new leaders take up the bulk of the art time. The amount of investment involved would be at least the equivalent of an expansion pack and not something they can afford to do for free. Plus, it takes them the length of expansion pack production to do eight, so they won't have time to do much more than that.

Sadly I think that "Complete" really does mean complete. I really hope I'm wrong.

Any Civilization news released there, in my expectations, will only be for that silly MMO game that they plan on launching. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have no interest in it whatsoever. Civ, to me, MUST be an turn based strategy game. I mean you can call an MMO Civ, but it would just be adding the title to a random noun, like Civ first person shooters, Civ golf, or Civ the cheeseburger.

They only gave us 2 expansions for civ 4 and now we have 2 for 5. While I truly hope they have a 3rd in the works (and there's no shortage of fan recommended ideas), I think they signaled its death with the most recent patch just improving a scenario instead of releasing more DLC (i.e. new civs wonders or scenarios). I feel its too early for them to announce civ 6 yet. I don't expect any information on it until at least 2015.

Again I hope I'm wrong and they announce another expansion with some cool new mechanic or reworked old one, like corporations or colonies done in a way most players would enjoy. Or even DLC, with new and creative civs resources units buildings etc. Sadly though, I do not see any reason to expect such nice things.

Patience padawans, PAX is not far away.:D Love the speculation period before something new.:)

So apparently they won't be live streaming the event, but they will put it on YouTube afterwards.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat :(

So I thought, but I cannot find the announcement anywhere anymore... 2K usually streams everything that concerns 2K and they can point a camera on. Not sure why this would be different. But I cannot find a source atm. :(

I asked the Civilization twitter feed if it would be live streamed and they said no.

The twitter guy might be wrong, my info is contrary to it and quite secure. If nothing has changed very recently, it's going live.:)

The good news is that it's reasonably certain you'll find out about
Spoiler :
anything big from the panel
in short order. Firaxis' Kevin Schultz (on twitter as @FXS_MisterKevin) is going to be up there in Boston and will be on Twitter over the course of the weekend.

We're all quite excited for Saturday on our end.

Please tell us that Civ 5 is not dead :(

An image on the 2K Twitter feed says "new AAA game announcement". So it must be Civ VI or an unrelated title.

I'd be interested to know who is on this panel, or who from Firaxis has made the trip to Boston for it. If Jake Solomon and Ananda Gupta are there and Dennis Shirk and Ed Beach still back in MD, that'd probably tell us something.

No.. I can't help but doubt it.. we ALREADY know that the MMO is coming, it's been announced right? If this is an unannounced title I would assume it is something completely different.

I mean, for all we know it could do very little with actual Civilization game xD

Top Bottom