Does the ai simply not try culture wins?

White Out

Prince
Simple question. On King and above will the ai be any competitive for a culture win?

Edit: looked at leader flavours and seems like spaceship is a high ai priority while culture doesn't seem to be. Maybe that's why the ai never seems close to winning on ai.

I've lost a game for AI winning a culture win, I play on King.

I was aiming for diplo win..

There are a few civs that are pretty good at it from time to time. In my last game I had Indonesia put up a remarkably good attempt at it, they had Sacred Sites and spammed quite a lot of cities (Counted 13 of them by the end of the game, all following his own religion) but I did manage to out-space-race them. I've also seen Brazil come close whenever they survive long enough with a decent-size empire, but they do tend to be a bit of an AI whipping boy.

I find that it depends on the map really. Culture civs often get eaten by warmongers. Pedro always dies... strongest cultural opponents I have encountered were Morocco, Egypt, Maya, Inca and Poland (I dropped no fewer than 20 nukes to wipe Poland off the face of the earth in my last "culture" game since I couldn't surpass their insane culture with my tourism...)

Persia in my last game went on a cultural rampage. They rocketed ahead in tech, built up their tourism, and conquered the other cultural runaway (Rome), ending up with something like 500 tourism. They would have won, but Alex 's huge culture saved the day, allowing Cathy to launch her spaceship.
It was a dynamic game.

AI suffers a bit for all victory conditions:

For all types, the policies selected are random and loosely connected with the mode they are seeking instead of being the ones that are the best for that victory.

In case of Culture victory; it suffers in that it doesn't play the swapping great works mini game to get the pieces to max theming bonuses. In addition, it doesn't beeline to Internet

In case of Science victory; it suffers via not knowing which techs have space ship parts and which do.

In case of Diplomatic victory; it suffers via sometimes keeping several thousand gold on hand instead of buying city states. In addition, it doesn't beeline to Globalism.

while I agree jon, in terms of Ai suffering at victory conditions culture is prob the worse thing the ai can win with. score is probably #1. science #2, domination #3. if greece is in the game then diplomatic win is on the table for sure. otherwise ive yet to see a game where the ai is even in the ballpark of a culture win

Whether they do it well is another matter entirely, but in my experience the AI thinks they're aiming for cultural victory more than any other kind of victory. In almost all my games Aesthetics is picked far more often than Rationalism; in fact I'm often the only one picking Rationalism. When it comes to Arts Funding/Sciences Funding, most AI civs will favor arts and only one or two will favor sciences.

Whether they do it well is another matter entirely, but in my experience the AI thinks they're aiming for cultural victory more than any other kind of victory. In almost all my games Aesthetics is picked far more often than Rationalism; in fact I'm often the only one picking Rationalism. When it comes to Arts Funding/Sciences Funding, most AI civs will favor arts and only one or two will favor sciences.

In this case; while AIs seeking diplomatic or domination victory are neither pleased nor angry by the proposal they tend to vote for arts funding measure. (Those pleased by the proposal are seeking culture victory; those angered by it are seeking science victory)

The weird thing is those same civs seeking diplomatic or domination victory also tend to vote for the science funding measure, which is why it's easier to negate arts funding via passing science funding than by repealing arts funding.

I find they're just awful at really getting their Tourism up. Even if i give them open borders, any concert tours I see happen are pathetic at best. I've never seen one get beyond 'exotic' in my territory.

I am a bit of a culture whore though, I love policies.

They go for it all the time...the question is, are they any good at it? Most levels, the answer is no. They can be good at stacking a lot of defensive culture, but rarely very good at getting the necessary tourism for a culture win. Things like buying GMs with faith, they just aren't going to do.

On immortal, if you can ally all the culture city states and win the world fair, you can completely ignore other sources of culture and the AI will almost never get past "exotic" on you.

AI does get to have its cultural wins sometimes. I had an ai obtain a cultural win awhile back when I was Persia and ended up in a lonely island by myself. Eventually I got to get out a couple of caravels to explore the map and another civilization got the world congress to meet everyone else. A few turns later, Korea somehow manages to obtain an early cultural victory at turn 253.. I don't know why the other ais would allow Korea to obtain its cultural victory.

It depends. Wide empires are usually more threatening, and you are usually their largest issue. So if you have decent culture pull (about a policy every 15-25 turns on standard) they have a hard time unless you drag the game on for a long time.

Top Bottom