Ekmek's Civ5 Leaderscene Gallery

I did double Trung for Civ4.

I did think about it and it would be a similar trick. I'd just have to use the background fxsxml for the second sister but add a background behind that one and rig it in a way it doesn't move. the only hard part would be the camera. Because in civ4 I adjusted the other sisters camera. We can't do that for civ5. So I'd probable have to move the mesh away from the skeleton but that would cause problems. Or un rig most of it so its head bones are the nly one sthat move (blinks, smiles etc.) We aren't close to tackling this yet.

Yeah, I though of him too. Always good to throw the WW2 civ guys a bone! Same deal? I rig you shape/texture :deal: ? I'm trying to do my quick leader tutorial this week but I think it won't be too hard to grab all of our civ4 Hitler stuff an rig it to Haile this weekend and have something for you soon. We may have to email it, these texture files get big.

go ahead and do your tutorial....hopefully will be able to get more people on board :goodjob:...i am going to by away for a couple of days with only blender to play with so I am going to start the sculpt directly from selaisse....

Yeah, this might actually get me into 3D modding. I kinda want to do Lester B. Pearson.

Yes, do the tutorial please... I've been anxiously waiting on it for quite a while.

Yeah, this might actually get me into 3D modding. I kinda want to do Lester B. Pearson.

What part do you guys actually need? Its the same as importing a civ5 unit and using blender is covered a lot in my civ4 leaderhead guide.

Getting it in game is just editing the scene.xml and referencing the right fxsxml files.

Well something that goes from A-Z would be fantastic to the proverbial 3D virgin and would do wonders for people who want to get into leader creation, have the skill set but have o idea where to start. I get lots of messages about that :)

What part do you guys actually need? Its the same as importing a civ5 unit and using blender is covered a lot in my civ4 leaderhead guide.

Getting it in game is just editing the scene.xml and referencing the right fxsxml files.
The important this to me is exactly the differences between unit modding and leader scene modding, especially when it comes to cameras and lighting and such. Not to mention the rigging process. And the materials, and what each kind of material does and etc.

EDIT: Also explaining all the animation files.

Hey bernie, would you be able to upload your Parkes mod? I'd like to start working on dialogue and such :)

The important this to me is exactly the differences between unit modding and leader scene modding, especially when it comes to cameras and lighting and such. Not to mention the rigging process. And the materials, and what each kind of material does and etc.

EDIT: Also explaining all the animation files.

Well something that goes from A-Z would be fantastic to the proverbial 3D virgin and would do wonders for people who want to get into leader creation, have the skill set but have o idea where to start. I get lots of messages about that :)

Its very close to unit modeling. Export to NB2. Do your modifications. then BR2 it. overwrite a copy of the orginal gr2 with your br2. assign the materials.

In the text files its different - you can change cameras and lighting by changing the text in the scene.xml. The fxsxml just references your gr2.
The background I use is a generic flat screen I made.

As far as what materials do what. i don't have it cataloged anywhere, I just either use the base model or a different one.

I do have a quick tutorial on how to import a civ4 mesh/object WITHOUT using the nifscripts for blender since people have issues with that. Its quite easy just use nifskope and export as an obj file and import that.

Hey bernie, would you be able to upload your Parkes mod? I'd like to start working on dialogue and such :)

its just the download in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13200132&postcount=93

So you're not doing the tutorial? I understand if you don't, and I'm pretty sure I can learn it on my own (I've successfully made 3d units already), but I was waiting on the tutorial to get started so I had a bit of knowledge before jumping in.

Is doing custom animations the same as doing it for units too?

I'm going to work the tutorial this weekend. I've been struggling how to organize it. My civ4 tutorial included a lot of basic blender functions. Except for how to get the nb2 and exporting to br2 it's all a repeat of my civ4 stuff. To me that's a little tedious but I know I can't re-use the old pictures because newcomers will get confused. The other stuff to add is texmod and the whole xml & fxsxml stuff.

Honestly, I think I've only done two or three units so you pretty much know the basics of making a leader. Yeah, animations should be the same. But I highly, highly recommend to start with a simple leader. Like I did with David - just a modified crown and beard. Put a hat on someone. If you can do that and get it into the game then its easy to get to the more complex redoing.

I can give tips a long the way if you don't want to wait.

Thanks, but I use 3dsmax for pretty much everything. Unless the Nif animation export is so bad I'm forced to use blender to animate, which will definately suck, since I really don't like blender. Such an awkwardly designed program.

OK, I'm going to try doing an orc leader - Grimgor Ironhide. I want him to be basically either:
  1. Ramesses II but with ugly orc head and (probably) empty hands, with suitably modified surroundings
  2. Boudicca's animations, but weapon changed to large bloody axe
  3. Perhaps even Askia, but just standing there with axe over his shoulder seems too passive for Grimgor - he either swings his axe around or looks menacing

Should I ask for help along the way in here or do my own C&C thread, Ekmek?

Probably should start your own WIP thread. I recommend starting with askia. I don't think he moves much so it shouldn't be too many complex parts.

I also thought about taking Civ4 Montezuma's skull and replacing askia's head to make it undead leader. Rigging would pretty easy just to the head.

I'll start a thread for my leaders then. I never played Civ4 so am not sure what the leaders there look like and certainly do not have any of the files. One question though: would it be possible to do a 3d leader with a unit model and the unit's animations? Just put in the camera and lights and the unit's files?

Trying to install that new Leaderscreen from bernie - but I'm not sure how. Do I just paste it in the stead of Ekmek's 3D Parkes folder, or does bernie's need a new modinfo file too.

I tried the former, but it just gave me the original diplo dds.

Just the gr2 file? Alright then. It's just that the file contained a whole lot of other stuff including files for Pedro's beard.

Top Bottom