LAN Multiplayer With MODS

i've spent a lot of time trying to reanable mods after the start of the game without result (or without crash ^^). However i've not a good knowledge of civ V yet.

i guess they forced the disabling of mods on game init to prevent cheating in MP. :(

I'd love to have mods in multiplayer. But wouldn't just updating the XML on two LAN machines make it possible to use some basic mods already?

Sorry for the necro, but is there a functioning version of this somewhere? I've read about a multiplayer lan mod hack. I haven't had any luck with the search engine.

Is there a way to play MP with mods? Lan/internet or whatever?

Really hopeful here!

Copy this stagingroom file over to the proper directory and then your mods will work. Playing as ronald regan now.

Apparently, the section in the original file around line 1187 (a few line above and below) is what needs to change in order for this mod to work again. None of the other changes in the stagining.lua file needs to change.

rename to stagingroom.lua

Attachments

• StagingRoom.txt
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Sorry to provide a useless bump, but is this working for anyone here?

Has there been a recent patch? For some reason I cannot get this to work, I have tried with all of the suggestions, and still does not work.....

is this still working for you?

it doesn't work in hot-seat mode,i think..but there's anywhere anything similar for hot-seat?

I was able to add additional content to the game and play multiplayer LAN by modifying the DLC. It should work for any multiplayer mode so long as all players DLC modification looks the same. The DLC folders are found in the game directory under the steam common apps, then Assets\DLC. I used the Babylon DLC (DLC_Deluxe).

It was really easy. I had made a mod that added eight civilizations to the game with icons, buildings, etc. All I had to do was copy the actual content folders within my mod (in this case I had one for each civilization) and edit the Babylon.Civ5Pkg with a text editor. All I added was art, text, leader, and civ, but you should also be able to add music and animations. Within the .Civ5Pkg file you will see where the content is added by type and not file. It simply looks for the content type in the file specified. For mine all I had to do was add this before the end of the file:

<GameData>Bearveria.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaBuildings.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaDiplomacy.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaGameText.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaIcons.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaPlayerColors.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaTraits.xml</GameData>
<GameData>BearveriaUnits.xml</GameData>
<GameData>Bearveria.xml</GameData>
<GameData>Nicholas.xml</GameData>
<TextData>Bearveria.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaBuildings.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaDiplomacy.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaGameText.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaIcons.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaPlayerColors.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaTraits.xml</TextData>
<TextData>BearveriaUnits.xml</TextData>
<TextData>Bearveria.xml</TextData>
<TextData>Nicholas.xml</TextData>

Bearveria was my civ, and Nicholas was the leader. My xml's also contained the supporting text references, so I just had to duplicate their use. Without doing that, I got the TXT KEY instead of the city names Bearopolis and Ursadelphia. I did not have to reference any of my .dds's in the file anywhere; the game loaded the art lickety-split.

I repeated this process for the seven other civs I have put into my CivV mod. I copied my DLC folder to my multiplayer partner's computer. We checked off Babylon on the DLC when setting up the multiplayer game and voilà, we could choose any of the eight civs. We each took one and added the other six as computer opponents. The game didn't balk. It took us right in, and we were playing immediately. This did not interfere with Babylon; we could still choose to play as them as well.

I do not believe this will work if you are looking to change any of the original content — only add additional content. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am working off the patch (hotfix whatever it was with no change log!) that was just updated today, 17 February 2012.

Happy Civing!
Chazz

Any progress? The original method at the beginning of this thread does not work, unfortunately. I remember that some XML based mods could be done in LAN simply by replacing the values in the original SP XML files but that of course does not work for anything more complex than changing values.

Mods in multiplayer, or at least LAN, is the thing that's needed the most. The community can do suprising things given the proper tools.

Sooo... Any word on this? I'd really enjoy playing the game with the unofficial patch with my mates.

I'm kind of starting to regret buying the game, even if it was on sale. :/

I'm trying to get this working with VEM - which is of course is far more than adding a civ. The game doesnt crash when i put the mod enable lines in, but it simply loads a normal game. I've exhausted my expertise looking through the files and trying various coding changes - is there anyone more knowledgable than me that could please have a go?

I'm looking into it myself, so far I've simply managed to get mods to work with hotseat mode (already had a mod for that anyway) right now it doesn't seem like Modding.ActivateEnabledMods(); does anything when Matchmaking.LaunchMultiplayerGame(); is executed, so looking into the matchmaking class might find what we are looking for.

I would really appreciate if someone picked up this project.
Very interested. Or, then again, Firaxis could just patch a feature to enable mods in multiplayer. It's done before and it works. + It would make a lot of people happy.

They mentioned in the comments of their code that they are "Hiding until they address issues with multiplayers and mods." In other words they have it working, but there are issues, so they are hiding it until they can get it released without being buggy/exploitable.

Has anyone been able to load mods with the latest version (per 17th september 2012) in multi player using the tricks posted above?

Has anyone been able to load mods with the latest version (per 17th september 2012) in multi player using the tricks posted above?

Unless the games code itself got released, there's no way we can "trick" this anymore, it's very obvious they disable mod's through a class in their internal code now. The only way we can get mod's in multiplayer (except for hotseat) is to wait until they finish working on it and release it themselves.

There's no real way around it, the matchmaking class is used for our internet/lan games to start, and that class is internal (a part we can't change) and I believe that's the class which is disabling the mod's when it's called. I have no proof aside from whenever I enable mod's just before starting an internet game, after clicking the start button there's a long delay, then it starts without mods (The delay is from the mod's disabling I'm sure).

Top Bottom