Catherine of Russia - The Anti-Oprah and Other Observations About Civ V Leaders

I gave it five stars.
That's all I can write because rolling on the floor laughing makes typing difficult. :)

A little late, but I had to say... Awesome thread! It's threads like this popping up from time to time that keeps me on browsing CFC.

good write up.

I have noticed that you can keep Cathy happy, and friends, if there's someone else for her to fight with. As long as there's always 'someone else', she'll be super best friends with you. (she really likes it when you give her workers and settlers back)

She will spam cities though. take up all the space possible before getting into a fight. In my latest game, she was actually afraid of me early game. (I had a spearman and two whole scouts!) That was of course balanced by the very early 'she covets your lands' issue. She asked for friendship and then decided that Rammy was a douche. He was of course, since he miraculously found the cash to get all of the close CSs as allies.

Hiwatha is loyal. Haven't seen him backstab anyone after he friends them.

Darius loves the expansion. Watched him spam cities along northern russia (earth map) after I took all of his nice cities.

Personally, I will go to any length to kick Alex in the face any time I see him. He's always a threat and causes the wars. Only a few times did other civs gang up on him to wipe him out in my games.

Askia always seems to have the pointy stick award in my games. But inevitably someone with an upgraded army will wipe him out. He seems to build lots of units then ruin his economy trying to keep them, so they get outdated fast. Only once did he become a threat in a game, where he forced Alex to capitulate a dozen cities or so over to him. A few nukes cleared that issue right up.

I've only rarely seen Wu Zetian be a science threat. She gets left behind by all of the expanders most of my games. Usually she'll try for a home defense set up (CKN + GW + policies/wonders for home turf advantages) and then stop doing much of anything. She likes RAs, but if you starve her of those, she will be one of the last ones to reach modern.

Where is that promised DLC coverage btw?

He hasnt posted since Jan 6th, but did log in last Jan 30, so I hope everything is ok, definitely waiting for him to write up the dlc, Im pm him.

Sorry I haven't finished the write-up on the DLC Civs yet guys. This new semester started for the school year and I only get to play Civ V now and then. I wanted to finish a game as each of the new DLC civs before I did the write up. I only have the Inca to finish and then the write-up will be posted. Again, I am sorry it has been taking so long. But, I do want to thank all of you for taking the time to read this and I really do appreciate it.

In a forum full of blunt criticisms, this thread is most refreshing. You've made my day Jon with your awesome post.

:goodjob:

You are absolutely correct on every leader, I couldn't agree more with you on Gandhi and Catherine. Great and Hilarous Read, it is a million times better than the pathetic complaints of other.

Could DLC coveredge be given, I know it's been a while but come on!

Ive been waiting for a list like this to come out. However i disagree on some of the leader charistics.

ROLF!! Good stuff man.

Its a thread like this that highlights the huge differences in opinions of the AI around here. It seems that all the haters see is some binary code and if/then statements doing random junk in their games.

And there is this, a total personification of each. It just reinforces my opinion that some of that must be due to an EU3 elitism brain filter...

Well, in my games the other civilizations don't seem to act the way you describe them. I have 173 hours played.

Hiawatha the Wildcard of Iroquois - I am not really sure what to make of Mr. Hiawatha. I think he is a most interesting addition to the Civilization franchise; but, I can't decide how to frame him within the context of an AI competitor. In my games, he's never really a threat, but you can't ever really forget that he is there either. He goes to war every once in a while, always seems to do pretty respectable on the science end of things and his empire is usually pretty sprawling. He's like the wildcard team during NFL playoff season: Not really an outright threat for victory, but more than capable of surprising you. It's more dangerous to discount him than one would think - the Germans made that mistake once... Hiawatha smacked the stache right off of Bismarck's face.

To me, Hiawatha has always been the creative backstabber, who starts off nice, then finds a creative way to make you miserable. Most notably, he DoF'd me, then immediately attacked Bismarck, who I had a Defensive Pact with, making me auto-DoW Hiawatha, ruining any opportunity of diplomacy with anyone ever. These days, I just denounce him the moment I see him.

:lol:

Brilliant, my good sir, absolutely brilliant! I especially love the bit about Catherine...so true. :goodjob:

This is a great read! Very funny!

However, I would strongly suggest the OP enable random civ personalities in all future games...

Great read Jon.

I'm always glad to have Askia as my neighbour as it means free land/cities/wonders :)

Alexander is truly frightening. He also expands like wild rabbits.

The revised diplomacy is really showing now. Last year, Montezuma and Napoleon/Alexander would always dominate their continents, unless they are all together then one of them will end up losing, but if you see Napoelon, Alexander or Montezuma, it was often safe to assume they were dominant.

The more stable diplomatic code and 'friendship' pacts has really helped the game by allowing other civs to stay competitive by forming coalitions to punish the warmongers.

Really liking this patch.

The more stable diplomatic code and 'friendship' pacts has really helped the game by allowing other civs to stay competitive by forming coalitions to punish the warmongers.

Really liking this patch.

I'm always pleased to see Alex turn up now, because nobody likes him. When he inevitably denounces me, denouncing him right back gets diplomatic brownie points with most of the other leaders.

Top Bottom