SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

We are experiencing hurricane force winds on the west coast! Power is out and I'm sending this from a tethered iPhone. I expect battery for a few hours and then we will fall into shadow.

One thought - if we don't move our warrior onto the north hill, there is a slight chance that it might grow a forest. Is that right?

Actually, Big and Small with tiny isolated islands works, too. That way there is a large starting continent (Europe) and 'a heavily modified map' could spell isolation until Astronomy.

Yes, but going to the Settings page (F8) of the actual game file confirms that it is indeed an Archipelago with medium sea level. That was the point I was trying to make.

-jj-

We are experiencing hurricane force winds on the west coast! Power is out and I'm sending this from a tethered iPhone. I expect battery for a few hours and then we will fall into shadow.

oo - let's hope it ends soon then.

One thought - if we don't move our warrior onto the north hill, there is a slight chance that it might grow a forest. Is that right?

That is true on any turn our Warrior is not standing on that square. Unless "No random events" also remove forest spread, but I don't think it does.

From Posts #186 and #197 -
Deadline Friday, 9:00 am PST, noon EST, 17:00 GMT

Could we hear from everyone about SIP or SPH? Also, I have a tentative roster. When you post your thoughts or vote for the city placement, you can also comment on this roster.

1. City placement - 2 choices:

SIP = Settle in place
SPH = Settle plains hill on turn 2

2.The (tentative) Roster ***Updated (thanks dima):

keath
Windfury
fizbankovi
enKage
bjartu
2metraninja
cottagechris
trucha
justjohn
the Dude Esq
dima42

***This update is still tentative and changes can be expected when we've heard everyone's comments.

3. Should turnsets be guided by a fixed number of turns or convenience, like the turn before a build? I think we can start with 20 - 10 - 10... turns/set and be flexible as we go. Comments?

4. Do we go with in game city names or start with Elba and allow new cities to be named by the player founding the city?

There are less than 24 hours to comment before show time. An updated roster will be posted as soon as everyone has checked in or at the above scheduled time. :thumbsup:

From the actual save (Setting page), we can see that the map is indeed an Archipelago map with medium sea level. I believe we can expect a typical Archi map around our starting position (so our initial planning is still valid), but further away things might be very different. We just have to adapt when that time comes, and hence it is preferable to have a flexibel strategy.

Where on the Settings page is there evidence of it being an Archipelago Map? :confused:

From the settings page:
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Where on the Settings page is there evidence of it being an Archipelago Map? :confused:

That's strange. I was sure that it said "Archipelago" when I opened it to check this very thing some days ago, but now I get the same as you do. I guess I must have opened the wrong save game, even though that's a bit hard for me to believe. :crazyeye: :hammer2:

^^ No problem and an easy mistake for anyone to make. I will post a sign below our capitol that says:

*REAL GAME*

The actual game save is Napoleon BC-4000 which can easily be mixed up with practice saves.

And if the first city is Elba, that should make it unique. I suggest we go with Elba and unique names and when/if we move our capitol, reserve Paris for that time.

I know everyone is hot to get this going but there is one advantage to our timing -- there are now five teams who have posted their first save. It's worth a look at the Progress page.

:cool:

^^ Very interesting! It seems like you can glean quite a bit of information from these graphs. :think:

Notice that the better teams have not yet posted an opening save. ;)

:eek: Wow! That is good. :hmm: By that reasoning then T'dr'..... must have settled PH, too.

What else can we discover? :rolleyes:

The game has a clock feature that I assume records how long the game has been played. Does leaving the game open keep the clock running? How important is this?

There is also a Pause button which pauses the game and likely the clock. On a Mac, what key combination would pause the game?

The Bug mod(?) also has a log that shows up with colour coding. Should this be turned on for the game and how do you do that?

Anything else that should be set before we start?

Could we hear from everyone about SIP or SPH? Also, I have a tentative roster. When you post your thoughts or vote for the city placement, you can also comment on this roster.

1. City placement - 2 choices:

SIP = Settle in place
SPH = Settle plains hill on turn 2

Settle in place for me.

Also, about the roster, I think we must put our best micro management guy to play the first turns, as they are most important.

Elba is cool.

Top Bottom