6.9 Only mod installed, unable to play. Can't choose production, etc.

ghen

Chieftain
I have the Unofficial Patch and Thals Balance combo installed. Downloaded and installed using the in-game mod menu.

This has happened to me on every version of the unofficial patch I've tried. If I comment out the unofficial patch folder then the game works OK.

Attached is a screen shot showing what the city screen UI looks like. The citizen/building menu is all messed up and I can't click production or purchase. Also during the loading time the audio talking about the leader doesn't work and most of the text doesn't show up on the civilization description page.

Currently using patch v69
Computer is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
using Civilization_DX11.exe (same problems with the main executable too)
Also attached the printout from dxdiag for system info.

Finally, willing to use livestream if someone wants to do any troubleshooting steps on my machine LOL.

Attachments

• civ_unofficial_patch_UI_error.jpg
    civ_unofficial_patch_UI_error.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 2,300
  • DxDiag.txt
    41.4 KB · Views: 300
Something similar happens if I try to load a savegame from within a game.

For me, exiting to the main-menu and loading from there fixes the problem.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1,253
This also happenes to me every time I start a game.

Extra info on this bug:

When loading game the civ leader doesn't appear and you don't hear the audio file describing the civ.
The city screen doesn't show any production options nor can you select anything by clicking the 'change production' button that replaces the 'end turn' button so the game gets stuck.
this is happenning for a long time and only works with the unnoficial patch commented out (which is not an option because i feel it is a needed patch)

Any help on this?!

I've had this bug.

The solution for me was reinstalling / verify intregration. Try both.

I've had this bug.

The solution for me was reinstalling / verify intregration. Try both.

Re-installing the mod? DONE! Not solved...

Re-installing the game? Why would it solve a mod problem?!

Did you also try clearing your cache? When starting a new game, I only encounter problems like that if the cache isn't clear.

I completely delete the cache folder when re-installing new mod versions... also I clean the mod folder being tthat I only use Thal's

The UI is basically just not loading for you. The three possibilities I know that can cause this are:

1. Game not patched to most recent version (necessary user interface data missing)
  2. Incompatibility with another installed mod (UI overwritten)
  3. Cache contains previous mod data (UI duplicated)
Any of these circumstances will cause the UI to fail to load. This is true of any CiV mod that alters the default user interface. My guess is Black213's reverification solution worked in his case because there was something wrong with the game's core data on his system (situation #1).

I don't know of what other circumstances could cause the UI to not load, but there's undoubtedly more possibilities out there. Everything works okay on my system so the only way to track down the issue is if you could do some testing on your own system. My first guess is the files might be loaded twice for some reason (situation #3). It would help if you could copy-paste the tuner output that occurs when you start a game. It usually looks something like this (skip the big chunk of map generation information):

CivilopediaScreen: SetSelectedCategory(12)
CivilopediaScreen: CivilopediaCategory[CategoryTerrain].DisplayList
CivilopediaScreen: SetSelectedCategory(1)
CivilopediaScreen: CivilopediaCategory[CategoryHomePage].DisplayList
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmImprovementRebuildPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\CityPlotManagementPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmCommandPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\MinorCivEnterTerritoryPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\LiberateMinorPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ReturnCivilianPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\AnnexCityPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\DeclareWarMovePopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\BarbarianRansomPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmGiftPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmCityTaskPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\PuppetCityPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\DeclareWarRangeStrikePopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmPolicyBranchPopup.lua
GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\MinorCivGoldPopup.lua
InfoAddictHistoricalData: INFO: GameIdent = 1302455642
InfoAddictHistoricalData: INFO: loadPlayerDataTable() from 0 to 1 took 0.10599999999999s to complete.
InfoAddictHistoricalData: INFO: Total time for DrawGraph(score): 0.00099999999997635s
InfoAddictCivRelations: INFO: Total time to build political view: 0.0050000000001091s
==============
If I don't see anything odd in your game loading, it might be necessary to enable some debug output. Go to this file:

CiVUP - Civ V Unofficial Patch/Core/CiVUP_General.lua

Change the logger level from LOG_WARN to LOG_DEBUG and save the file. Then start a new game, plant a city and end your turn. Copy-paste whatever appears in the tuner to here, maybe something in it will give me a hint as to what's going on with your system.

Hello, had the same problem and looks disabling/deleting some files worked:

Enter the Civ5 MOD folder > CiVUP - Civ V Unofficial Patch

Ok, here disable "Auto Tips" folder. Do it adding a "_" as first character so looks like this: "_Auto Tips".

This step solved the right part of the city UI (Citiziens, buildings, etc)

Now, we go deeper.

Civ5 MOD folder > CiVUP - Civ V Unofficial Patch > Core > Misc UI

Disable "ProductionPopup.lua" file, just like before. Should look like this now "_ProductionPopup.lua"

This step solved the production problem.

Haven't had time to test in a full game the effects of the deleted files (found this right now) but at first glance looks like everything works fine.

Those are the user interface files. AutoTips contains the info for building tooltips, and ProductionPopup is the city production popup. They show important information and fix vanilla game bugs. Somewhere else is a problem that overrides, deletes, or duplicates those UI files, hiding that information. Disabling the UI hides the information too, just like the real problem does. :)

Too bad I have to work in one hour and can't test it on a full game. Would the game use everything added onto the Mod but use vanilla settings for those disabled files?

Tomorrow will try to start a game and see what happens. I have no clue about modding or computers so other than disabling those files nothing came to my mind to make this nice mod playable. Too bad >.<

Some examples are, to add in the improved version of Maritime city-state food I updated the UI to show the new food source. I also recently made it so the +50%:c5production: for Settlers policy affects food too. With the UI disabled these things will still happen, but won't be shown visually, so you won't be able to use the production panel or building tooltips anyway. National Wonders also won't work properly.

The solution is to find what's actually interfering with those files. It's difficult to do this from my end because it's working okay for me. When the game is working correctly I'm unable to add in debug information or look at error messages, because there's no errors. The only thing I can do is visually look at code line by line in the hopes of spotting some problem. The difficulty is if the problem was that easy to spot, I probably would have noticed it when writing stuff in the first place. :crazyeye:

It's also somewhat of a needle in a haystack because there's tens of thousands of lines of code and only one set of eyes looking. :)

Problems like this can also be due to bugs in the Civ's own game code. For example, for a month or so we had an issue where buttons didn't display on the full-screen diplomacy. The problem turned out to not be with the diplomacy window at all. If the top bar requests trade deal information during an AI's turn, some bug in the vanilla game code causes the diplomacy window to not load properly in certain rare circumstances. It's such an obscure problem, and not actually due to any bugs in the mod itself, that it took a long time to figure out.

I'm having this issue now too . . but none of the above solutions are working for me, the file paths from above seem to have been changed since the last post, and I can't find any of the files that I need to edit for the troubleshooting. Does anyone know how to fix this issue with the most current version of the mod?

For clarification, I'm also having trouble with both the "purchase" and "production" buttons in the city interface. Thanks.

EDIT: Hmmmm . . . so I adjusted the resolution from 1368x720 to 1600x900 and that seems to have fixed the problem somehow. Gonna leave my post up in case anyone else has this issue. You can try changing the resolution to see if that helps.

I am Currently having this issue as well.
I can produce Units however I have no idea of Producing or creating buildings.
I've tried everything above to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A idea which will probably don't work if you I've try all other solutions :
Try to disable all DLC execpt G&K and BNW, and load the game two time (load, exit to menu, and reload)

For me, each time I change DLC, I have this bug the first time I load a game, and the bug disapear reloading the game.
So with some (a lot of) luck, it could just be an bug when the game configure DLC.

So good luck :)

Top Bottom