Do AIs favor their UUs over more advanced units that are related

JimBobV

Warlord
So I was playing a game as Japan and everyone had just more or less entered the industrial era, when I was invaded by alexander. When he invaded me, I noticed that instead of using lancers or cavalry, which were the more modern and effective choices, he was still using his extremely outdated companion cavalry. I completely destroyed him, and went on to take his capital after that. I thought that maybe the AI was just being stupid, but after finishing that game and starting a new one, I had a similar situation with Genghis and his Keshiks! I couldn't really destroy them, and they were mainly only an annoyance, but I find it really strange that they did this.

So I'm just curious, has anyone else encountered this problem? It ruins the fun in a domination victory, as I can plow through any outdated units.

I think it's more like, they are more likely to build a UU, and just don't like to upgrade units.

I think it's more like, they are more likely to build a UU, and just don't like to upgrade units.

But why in the world would you ever want to build a unit that is outdated by nearly 3 eras? Its like they want to lose. I doubt they just have a bunch of old units hanging around, because otherwise I would see new units as well.

They weren't outdated when they were built, he just never upgraded them.

I've never seen the AI upgrade his units. The only time they became up to date is when I or someone else wipes down their older units with relative ease.

Well I clearly said, even if he had a bunch of old units lying around, I would still see newer units among them.

Some of those were upgraded older unit, most he built more recently. Did you think Alexander would stop building units just because he had so many it would bankrupt a human player? Think again :crazyeye:

He might've just used up all his horses on Companions early on and hence couldn't build any more advanced mounted units :p

I've never seen the AI upgrade his units. The only time they became up to date is when I or someone else wipes down their older units with relative ease.

I don't know about UUs, but I see the AI upgrade units all the time on Immortal. What difficulty level are you playing?

Since when? It goes negative for a moment while game is creating a new unit and before the old one is deleted, but it doesn't stop me from upgrading.

Yea I bet it has something to do with the coding for upgrading a resource unit when you have no resources left. It's even weird when I do it. It lets me, but it gives that message about not having enough, but I checked once and didn't have any penalty.

Top Bottom