Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if flags will be used? Or will there be civ-specific unit sets? I'm just wondering how you tell your units from your neighbour's units.

I received my copy of a Dutch popular science magazine (de Kijk) and they pretty big article on Civ 5.

They didn't mention any new wonders but they had pictures of what looked like:
-The Hanging Gardens
-The forbidden city

They mentioned the Persians. That could be the lsat unknown civ but from they description they might confuse them with the Arabs.

Fun fact: Chris Hickman, part of the animation team, brought his Japanese wife with him to the studio several time to ensure that the Japanese leader intonation and his bowing was realistic.

Conclusion: Possible new wonders: Hanging Gardens and Forbidden City. Possible civ: Persia
Edit: The article confirmed 6 victory types

Nah, we already have seen a bigger version of that photo, it's the Foreign Advisor, Jasmine or something, not Isabella :)

I apologize if this posting is better suited in another thread.
Anyway, I just wanted to state that one of the things I liked about CivRev that i hope makes the transition to CIV V is the territory naming. (First discoverer names Grasslands, Rivers, Forests, Seas etc). I think this adds a lot of flavor to the game, and has the potentitial to add even more in more strategic title. Landmarks could offer other bonuses (other than just money, maybe culture or unit bonuses when in a named tile). Has there been any word yet if this feature is coming to cIV V?

Sticked!

I apologize if this posting is better suited in another thread.
Anyway, I just wanted to state that one of the things I liked about CivRev that i hope makes the transition to CIV V is the territory naming. (First discoverer names Grasslands, Rivers, Forests, Seas etc). I think this adds a lot of flavor to the game, and has the potentitial to add even more in more strategic title. Landmarks could offer other bonuses (other than just money, maybe culture or unit bonuses when in a named tile). Has there been any word yet if this feature is coming to cIV V?

That would be nice.

could be nice though...
a defending unit is not destroyed when it loses a battle. it retreats... could be optional as a unit upgrade...

That's so true. Who can forget the great exchange of Egyptian construction methods for Hittite gold?

Or when Hannibal graciously offered the secrets of Elephant riding so they could learn the Roman code of laws?

Ooh! And when Napoleon offered most of Europe the secrets of emancipation in exchange for... alright, I can't keep this up. :lol: What the heck are you talking about?

Technology has always worked more like the Internet WW from Civ4 - by diffusion. Some civilization would develop a technology, and when it provided a great benefit to them (such as say... gunpowder) then other civs would either try to steal that technology, develop their own, or the merchant class would see profit potential and develop similar technology in other civilizations for huge profit. None of these are civilizations trading techs with each other. C'mon, now.

Okay okay, no need for the sarcasm.

Maybe governments don't usually directly exchange technology with each other. What I meant was that technology naturally gets disseminated as cultures come into contact with each other. The spread of the printing press, gunpowder, the compass, and other innovations from China to the Middle East to Europe is a prime example. The spread of the stirrup westward from central Asia and India. Gunpowder being passed down to the Native Americans. I could go on and on and on. Very few civilizations independently develop their own technology. Technology trading may not be realistic in the strictest sense, but it's about as accurate of a representation of technology spreading through different cultures as you can get.

I'm okay with technology trading being eliminated as long as they have a viable solution for civilizations that have fallen behind in technology. The only solution I can think of is to make a research pact with a fellow technologically backwards civilization, but would it be enough to make a significant difference if you're behind?

Thanks so much for this. I especially appreciate the links.

Maybe governments don't usually directly exchange technology with each other. What I meant was that technology naturally gets disseminated as cultures come into contact with each other. The spread of the printing press, gunpowder, the compass, and other innovations from China to the Middle East to Europe is a prime example.

At least in my eyes this is already represented by the discount on tech costs.
I am not a historian, but I think that printing press and gunpowder was not really disseminated from China to Europe. It was just another (re-)invention of the same in a different time on a different place. Well, for printing press this is not fully accurate, as Gutenberg was the first who invented a flexible printing press which allowed to print different pages. the chinese printing press could only print the same page again and again.

At least in my eyes this is already represented by the discount on tech costs.
I am not a historian, but I think that printing press and gunpowder was not really disseminated from China to Europe. It was just another (re-)invention of the same in a different time on a different place. Well, for printing press this is not fully accurate, as Gutenberg was the first who invented a flexible printing press which allowed to print different pages. the chinese printing press could only print the same page again and again.

You might be right about the printing press. I was thinking of movable type, of which the printing press is technically a form of, but the type of movable type invented in China was not the printing press. It doesn't appear that it made its way to Europe before Gutenberg. So I digress on that.

Gunpowder was almost definitely introduced at least to Europe through either the Middle East (along the Silk Road) or China (via the Mongols), although it may have been re-invented by the Arabs independently of China. Of course, it's possible that the Arabs got their information from the Chinese as well, nobody can really know with any certainty.

My point still stands though. Especially since the Middle Ages and the Colonial Age, most technology has been invented in one place, and then it is disseminated through other cultures. Most technologies are not re-invented.

Also I haven't heard about the discount on tech costs. Did it mention it somewhere in the OP? I must've missed it. Unless you were just talking about research pacts?

I'm not really sure about the gunpowder issue, so it may very well be that it really was disseminated through asia/arabs.

Regarding the tech discount: Yes, there is no confirmed statement on this in any published article. However, it is a concept which was used in Civ III. I didn't play Civ IV seriously, but I thought this would be part of this game as well, and I'm guessing (!) it will be in V. (Sorry, I realize that this is the wrong thread for my assumptions. Sorry for that)

What I mean with tech discount is, that the research costs (in beakers) is most expensive for the first civ to discover it and will decrease its costs with every civ who discovered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom