June/July Patch Notes

Thanks to other, earlier nerfs, walls have bogged down early conquest - especially for the AI.

There have been a lot of complaints that the defender has a sometimes overwhelming advantage, which in some cases is true. This will even the odds a little more.

I really don't like the Landed Elite change.

It went from one of the best policies in the first half of the game to what appears to be almost totally useless. I'm OK with them changing it, it just needs to be done right.

I'm also worried about some of the wonder changes, I guess we will see how it pans out. I also don't think their nerf to the NC is actually going to change anything. Now everyone will rush the GL and try and bulb to Philosophy for the NC.

I'm still very happy, most of these changes look AMAZING! :D

AMAZING changes and work that went into this pack. It was almost like reading about a new game or at least an expansion pack.

I really don't like the Landed Elite change.

It went from one of the best policies in the first half of the game to what appears to be almost totally useless. I'm OK with them changing it, it just needs to be done right.

If you have five size-ten cities, that's +5 happiness. With happiness now at a premium, that's...still pretty weak but not terrible. And you still get the old bonus if you fill the Tradition tree (though whether you'll still want all that extra food remains to be seen).

wow. looks like it's going to be a completely new game. gogo beta process.

if GL is still giving the free tech i guess the new standard opener will be beeline writing, build GL for philosophy, build NC.

Build the GL for Philo? This tech is cheap enough, look like a waste of hammers. Maybe RAs will be available sooner?

Great Lighthouse now also provides a free Lighthouse in the city where it was built.
Great library now gives 3 additional science, and provides a free Library in the city where it was built.
Great Wall now obsoletes with Dynamite instead of metallurgy and gives 3 Culture. Additionally, a free Wall is provided in the city where it was built.

Question:

If you build one of the three Wonders above and someone else beats you to it, do your hammers go to the 'minor' building that you would have gotten for free with the Wonder instead of being turned ito failgold? That would make going for one of these wonders on higher difficulties a lot more attractive.

wow.....so much to take in.

Thank God for no more ridiculous research agreement blocking.

National college start has been destroyed :(

Love the hanging gardens revamp :)

Am glad to see mech infantry nerfed a bit, but still feel like they're still too powerful.

Longswordsmen could still use a nerf too.

The new wonder balance looks promising and I'm excited about.

New Social Policies....can't really comment upon yet because there are so many..

The changes will take alot of adjustment. It will be interesting to play it. I still hope eventually they come up with regenerate map, but it looks like they were focusing on more major issues in this patch. I appreciate the efforts to continually improve the game.

The direction this update is going has me excited. Seems like a well thought-out rebalancing of the game - can't wait to try it!

Build the GL for Philo? This tech is cheap enough, look like a waste of hammers. Maybe RAs will be available sooner?

I doubt the Great Library still gives the free tech. A free tech, 3 science and a free Library would be a tad overpowered. More realistic that it is now a Library with 3 science, 1 Great Scientist point and 1 culture attached.

I doubt the Great Library still gives the free tech. A free tech, 3 science and a free Library would be a tad overpowered. More realistic that it is now a Library with 3 science, 1 Great Scientist point and 1 culture attached.

Yeah that's right...let's see what will happens with RAs. They just talked about % boost, not availability(Philo or not?)

They reduced scaling between policies. Tradition opening is very strong for fast culture gathering. It may be faster to full the whole Branch and get the +2 food and 15% growth. If it's almost as fast as before(like going for LE right now), i think this branch will be strong in mp games with 100% extra bombard range fixed. Then you go for Honor or Piety.

Notre Dame +10 happiness? Holy *&%$

Yeah, I really hope the Great Library free tech is gone. 3 tech is not too bad in the long run. 750 extra base tech if built turn 50 in a quick game. A nerf of course, since a faster tech gives important synergies, but needed. The free library weighs up for it in a way. It has become a more long term benefit wonder then the instant super benefit wonder. And it's still one of very few ways to get an early great scientist.

All in all it seems like long term planning has become more important with the new patch, and that is good. I still think great scientists needs a little nerf in modern age. Perhaps reduce them to giving a set value of science when used for researching a new tech. For instance 500 science maximun, and never more then one whole tech.

Yeah, I really hope the free tech is gone. 3 tech is not too bad in the long run. 750 extra base tech if built turn 50 in a quick game. A nerf of course, since a faster tech gives important synergies, but needed. The free library weighs up for it in a way. It has become a more long term benefit wonder then the instant super benefit wonder.

This is going in the right direction. Spaceships before 1500 AD is always weird to see. Slower tech pace in the beginning imo.

wow.....so much to take in.

National college start has been destroyed :(

The National College start has not been destroyed; it was reduced from 5 :c5science: to 3 :c5science:. You still get the +50%. I hardly think that's "destroying" the start. It's definitely nerfed, but it is not destroyed. Pre, pre, pre patch, it was just 50%. It was then given the +5 :c5science: in a patch. Now it is reduced by 2.

I really like the GL start now, since you get a free library out of the deal. That might be the ticket insteady of wasting the hammers on a library. Hmmm...

[*]When loading save game files, you can now order the list by name, or last modified.

Haven't read the rest of the list yet, stopped here to say oh my GOD, than you! Whichever dev decided to do this, finally, drinks are on me if you're ever in WI. As many damn drinks as you want.

no change at brandenburg gate (weak) , statue of liberty ( the last superior wonder ) ?

where should we get all the new happiness ? I read, that happiness will be even a bigger problem than ever.

Building costs will be adjusted, but it seems to me, that it even become more trivial what to build and should I still build anything with the new patch ... numbers

But all other changes reads very well, especially those about the policies. Maybe in the next Patch we can have the civ4 system again ;)

They reduced the rate of Great Generals coming out, so an indirect buff to Brandenburg.

The National College start has not been destroyed; it was reduced from 5 :c5science: to 3 :c5science:. You still get the +50%. I hardly think that's "destroying" the start. It's definitely nerfed, but it is not destroyed. Pre, pre, pre patch, it was just 50%. It was then given the +5 :c5science: in a patch. Now it is reduced by 2.

It's destroyed as a "start" though, I think. With the NC start, you're hurting yourself by not expanding until you've got the NC built - and that can be a significant delay, but you're more than compensated for it by the power of the NC. Now, the wait is going to be that much longer while you tech Philosophy (and the reward less sweet anyway) that I doubt it will compensate for the loss of other things you could have been doing. Prioritising the NC early may still be strong (especially combined with the new GL), but the NC as a first-rate "starting build" I think may be dead.
Particularly now that with the nerf of meritocracy (and the buff to republic, to a lesser extent), the free settler policy looks like being the real strong opener.

It's destroyed as a "start" though, I think. With the NC start, you're hurting yourself by not expanding until you've got the NC built - and that can be a significant delay, but you're more than compensated for it by the power of the NC. Now, the wait is going to be that much longer while you tech Philosophy (and the reward less sweet anyway) that I doubt it will compensate for the loss of other things you could have been doing. Prioritising the NC early may still be strong (especially combined with the new GL), but the NC as a first-rate "starting build" I think may be dead.
Particularly now that with the nerf of meritocracy (and the buff to republic, to a lesser extent), the free settler policy looks like being the real strong opener.

The TBC mod had already moved the NC to Philosophy, and it didn't dampen the popularity of this start. But the nerf to the NC itself - atop the shift to Philosophy - may have the desired result of making this start less automatic.

Well. I'm not going to rush for philosophy to build it before one more city, that's for sure.

A particular opening in single player mode :

Build an extra city, research philo.
Build GL in cap, rush buy a lib in 2nd city.
Philo researched. Start NC. Crank units in 2nd city to prevent DoWs.

Top Bottom