Information Drought?

The box are was heavy on the new ideology mechanic -moreso than any of us expected from what has been revealed. Sadly I am now wondering what is on the back.

Something tomorrow or Friday, maybe...?

I mean, sure, the box art is pretty, but all it tells us about the expansion is that Ideologies are a Big Deal.

I'm still of the opinion that we'll get news in mid May at best.
Now it's time to sit around, drink tea and discuss the fabric of Maria's dress.

The box are was heavy on the new ideology mechanic -moreso than any of us expected from what has been revealed. Sadly I am now wondering what is on the back.

The new civs, probably :p

After what looked like a promising storm cloud of box art failed to produce much needed rain, the Information Drought continues...

I was just reading a state-of-the-industry report and it mentioned that Take-two's quarterly income report is due out on May 13th. Take-two owns 2K and Firaxis. Would they release info prior to that to stir up buzz?

I really don't understand why they won't release regular updates that go into detail about specific additions. They can still sell(?) information to the press, but after the NDA date is passed and the press publishes, give it a week and then release concrete information! For example, update the website with an article about the trade system one week, an article about a new civ the next, etc etc written by skilled players who know what they're talking about or the devs themselves. They don't even have to release any "new" information, they can just tell us how things will actually work. That would give us plenty to discuss and maintain the excitement at the same time. Yes it's fun to parse information from screenshots and people who've never played the game before, but only for a while. 2K's marketing isn't impressing me here, they should look to Paradox for how to come correct.

/rant

I'm very thirsty

Damn, is Colorado that bad? :goodjob:

But yeah, after the lackluster reveal (in terms of info) yesterday I would have thought they would have dropped a C-bomb on us today.

Personally, I think that the two best examples of good pre-game marketing come from EA Mythic/EA Bioware. Warhammer Age of Reckoning and Star Wars Old Republic have not been the best games, but the marketing was top-notch. In both cases they put some new tidbit like concept art or video out every week. WAR's behind the scenes podcasts were awesome. The monthly newsletters are where they had the biggest info releases.

I imagine they both had much bigger marketing budgets than 2K does for this expansion.

Personally, I think that the two best examples of good pre-game marketing come from EA Mythic/EA Bioware. Warhammer Age of Reckoning and Star Wars Old Republic have not been the best games, but the marketing was top-notch. In both cases they put some new tidbit like concept art or video out every week. WAR's behind the scenes podcasts were awesome. The monthly newsletters are where they had the biggest info releases.

I imagine they both had much bigger marketing budgets than 2K does for this expansion.

I don't follow many AAA games, so I'm not familiar with those examples (I've heard of the titles, but haven't paid them any attention). But yes, those are the types of actions that I'm wishing for.

I mentioned Paradox because a) it's another strategy title so it would be easier for the marketing dept to look for ideas there and b) I imagine their budget is similar or on par with Firaxis'/2K's. Paradox isn't flashy, but they simply give give give to their fans via low-cost mediums (forum posts, twitch livestreams, etc.) It seems like 2K has a pretty decent amount of money from what limited knowledge I have, but they spend most of it on their big titles like Borderlands. Hopefully with the success of X-COM and Civ 5 they'll begin to allocate more funds to Firaxis.

That game looks fun to be fair, although I wouldn't count on much Civ5 news on Friday.

Top Bottom