Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

Vatican City--Firaxis wants you to play as the Pope. When you start the game and you select Vatican City, you don't get a settler and a warrior, but the game will play itself until a religion is founded. At that point, 1 single hex will be your "Vatican City". You will have influence, in every city where your religious followers are. The AI city that 'hosts' your single hex, must win the game for you to win the game. You will have influence, but not direct control of it, however.

I like the idea, but doubt they'd do it for marketing reasons, like in China.

I like the idea, but doubt they'd do it for marketing reasons, like in China.

Plus the fact that the Papal States are a similar boat to Venice, they owned a ton of Italian cities and the fact that Vatican City has already been spotted. Interesting idea though

Venice only being able to settle coast tiles (with a special UU settler) would actually be kind of cool, but it would have to be tied into a new sea UTI or UB

I'm thinking a civ that can conquer or convert barbarian camps over to your side and those camps being able to turn into cities of some sort. Maybe even doing trade routes with said barbarians.

A hypercube, hm? Or a... Tesseract, rather? Clearly the new civilization is SHIELD, with Nick Fury (voiced by Sam L Jackson himself) as the leader. They'll have helicarriers instead of normal cities, and the ability to summon superhero units on occasion. Mark my words.

...or it's an actual civilization, probably Venice or Sioux/Shawnee/Seminole/Powhatan/Pueblo/etc. Yeah, that sounds more likely.

I was refering to XCOM or The Grey Civilization, I hope Firaxis has some common sense before they do that, I can live with XCOM but I seriously dont' want aliens as a civilization :lol:

It could be god help us! :lol: At least there would be reason for the XCOM squad. :crazyeye:

Here is my stab at the Hypercube, sorry if any of this has been said - I read this thread this morning and thought all day on it :p

Native American Tribe:

UA: Cities do not produce culture borders, all units heal +15hp per turn unless they are within the borders of an enemy civ. Starts with Open Borders with all civs, cities can mutually work tiles within the borders of other civs. Receive increased science spillover from trade routes.

UU1: Unique Worker (using Feitoria style mechanic) Tile improvements to bonus resources built by your workers provide a slightly increased bonus for 30 turns (not affected by enemy units on the tile). Improvements can be renewed after 30 turns.

UU2: Axeman. Stronger than the warrior. No movement penalties.

Simple rationale: Many native tribes lived off the land and had little regard for land ownership. The bonuses would be purely to survive starvation if invaded.

An Inuit Civilization
Not sure on a leader
UA: food and gold from snow tiles and food from tundra tiles. Whales provide +1 production. Maybe all naval units can move through ice.
UU: some kind of ship that can move through ice tiles if it is not part of the UA. Maybe the trading boat or trireme.
UU: Inuit dog sleds. Scout replacement with 2+ movement in snow tiles and rough terrain bonus start.

An Inuit Civilization
Not sure on a leader
UA: food and gold from snow tiles and food from tundra tiles. Whales provide +1 production. Maybe all naval units can move through ice.
UU: some kind of ship that can move through ice tiles if it is not part of the UA. Maybe the trading boat or trireme.
UU: Inuit dog sleds. Scout replacement with 2+ movement in snow tiles and rough terrain bonus start.

Too bad the Inuit are already out because of Alphabet... I'd still bet on them, specially with the whole "Hypercube" thing

BTW, couldn't the Sami people also enter into a different nomadic playstyle? And they're European (so that would mean no Venice, meaning they would be unlikely, but yeah)...

Too bad the Inuit are already out because of Alphabet... I'd still bet on them, specially with the whole "Hypercube" thing

BTW, couldn't the Sami people also enter into a different nomadic playstyle? And they're European (so that would mean no Venice, meaning they would be unlikely, but yeah)...
They could play similarly to inuit with bonuses for snow or marsh (I am assuming because they are from the Finland area.. Right?)

A civ... that can destroy tiles... and form canals.
Venice UI could be canals. That would be pretty cool to play with.

I'm gonna laugh at all you plebs when it turns out the devs are just pulling a Molyneux on us and giving a civ 2 UB's.

Venice UI could be canals. That would be pretty cool to play with.

You mean a civ that can found cities on 1 hex isthmuses?

I was thinking about how we don't really have a civ that changes the terrain of the map, which is kind of weird because historically there were some pretty important man made projects that altered the ecosystem.

Being able to turn tiles into ocean or lake or even river would be pretty huge. You could cut off your continent from others. Man made islands. Such and such.

Not necessarily. They could build strings of canals make a maximum of 3 hexes in length. The art of it could look like a canal, but it would act the same way as any coast tiles with boats moving through it. These could also be blockaded and be influenced by the trade routes.

I was thinking about how we don't really have a civ that changes the terrain of the map, which is kind of weird because historically there were some pretty important man made projects that altered the ecosystem.

Being able to turn tiles into ocean or lake or even river would be pretty huge. You could cut off your continent from others. Man made islands. Such and such.

That would be like changing the community cards in a poker game. No thanks.

I'm not convinced that the Venetians are the civ that is the "out of the box" one they refer to. I also suspect that a certain amount of marketing hyperbole is present in the comments we have heard from their reps. So I'm sticking with the idea of a Venetian civ that is primarily mercantile/trade based and on a Native American civ that is using a new mobile city paradigm for at least the early stages of the game.

If it's mobile cities then they would have to become permanent after a certain age, what about wonders, buildings, improvements?

Top Bottom