Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

Mr.M

Chieftain
DuneWars Revival is a quality mod for Civ IV-BTS based on the Dune Universe created by Frank Herbert. It is an improvement on the popular DuneWars mod.

In it, one will find new art, new special abilities, new original ideas, increased flavour, replayability and variety, improved mechanics, better AI, an extra civ, a new victory condition, better interface and info screens, bug fixes, etc.

Have fun in the struggle to control Dune, the barren desert wasteland which is valuable for one thing only - the spice melange.

Download link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dunewars-revival/downloads/dunewars-revival-v110

Going to give any details for this Mr.M?

JosEPh :)

This sounds very interesting. But, it is impossible to tell what is *new* from these huge screenshots. If you can write a few bullet points describing what you added, then probably people will be more interested to download.

Is this a stable release?

It is even more stable than the original and probably slightly faster in the late game.

It is even more stable than the original and probably slightly faster in the late game.

I forgot to ask, this is a standalone verrsion? Or must it be installed with Dune Wars main mod?

Thanks for your efforts here. :) Extracting and setting up now.

JosEPh

Found a bug:

House Richese doesn't work :( It only shows up in Civilopedia and that's it, you can't choose to play it :(

I am sorry to say, but on my comp it's crashing like crazy ;s

I changed nothing, unpacked in Mod folder and started playing immediately.
After I build my first Scout Thopter he has this weird line on him, like a Space Elevator parked on him and moving with him. After few more turns half the time I am moving the Thopter my screen turns grey with more weird lines, I still see resources, but no terrain. And the game started crashing.

Finishing download the mod again, after I try reinstalling I write if that helped.

Edit 1. The game is crashing every time immediately after I load a save, trying a new game, will write more ;s

Very strange. I've never met what you describe with any mod. Do other mods and BTS work properly as well?
Right now I assume that it has to be something regarding the zip file or your BTS installation or computer. I do not claim that my mod is perfect (I've been working on it and actually I've corrected a few more things meanwhile (including a rare crash if playing with require complete kills) but I never had the problem described.

Other mods (I played Song of the Moon, Planetfall, and Vikings) and BTS work perfect, I never had trouble with anything.
I installed Civ 4 on my pc over a year ago and I currently play DW Revival using BUGmod too.
In new game I still do not have Thopter build, but crashing already started.

Any advice?
Reinstalling BTS?
Formatting pc? (i'm kinda lazy, but if it helps...)

That's unfortunate. Try reinstalling BTS from scratch. I can't think of anything else right now. Unless someone reports the same, it seems a specific problem on your computer. Nor me or my friends had such a problem.
Is your graphics card without issues?

Unfortunately after reinstalling BTS my problems do not disappear.
My graphic card is kinda on a low side (RADEON 7500) so I play on a low detail, but how could that cause problems I have no idea. ;0

I remember something about RADEON 7500 creating problems with Civ IV back in the day. Eventually the game got patched and most of the specific issues went away.

You say that you don't have problems with BTS or any mod, but now I wonder if all the stuff going on the Dune maps (the maps are somewhat alive with the spice blows, sandstorms, worm signs) can cause enough strain in some old cards.

What you describe, I can only understand it as a graphics card problem. Not sure if I'm right, of course.

Try to update your drivers. Its always helpful for many things anyway. If you can test the game in a friend's computer, do it :p.

Unfortunately after reinstalling BTS my problems do not disappear.
My graphic card is kinda on a low side (RADEON 7500) so I play on a low detail, but how could that cause problems I have no idea. ;0

Set your graphics option to medium. Low detail can cause graphic rendering problems for some ATI cards. I've used ATI for years and have had little problems with rendering. What amount of Vram does your 7500 have (256, 512, 1GB, more)?

My current Comp uses a Nvidia card Geforce and my Scout thopters displays well.

One last "trick" is that sometimes you need to re-install the DirectX version that came with BtS. Hopefully you have the CDs and not a digital download. The CDs contain the necessary files to refresh the DirectX version that came with the game.

JosEPh

Ps. @ Mr M,
Have not played that far into the game but what I have played is working well. :goodjob:

DirectX could be a culprit as well, indeed.

Interesting that running medium settings could be better for ATI. I used ATI for years as well, but now Nvidia.

It's still curious that other mods or BTS work fine for him. I forgot to ask him if he tried the original DW and the same problem happened (it is supposed to, I guess).

Joseph II - no idea about the VRAM (is this the same as RAM? then 1 giga), tried on medium graphic after reinstalling directX and no change.

Mr.M - original DW for whatever reason crashed to desktop immediately after starting the scenario, so I hopped from joy when DW Revival started crashing only after few dozen turns xD

Tried DW Revival on another pc and there it's gong ok, no problem.
Only after playing on second comp I could see Sandworms and Waterstealers icons, before they were simply invisible ;d

Thanks for your help, maybe on smaller monitor, but I can simply play DWR on second comp, and the mod is amazing! Without crashing I could at last enjoy simply playing without worrying.
I especially like DW religions, not the simple civ4 version, but something positively different ;)

Top Bottom