Making Friends in BNW

forlorn.hopes

Chieftain
Hey guys :)
I was wondering how to make friends with the other civilizations in BNW on difficulties Prince upwards...All of them are always guarded/neutral to me, and I can't seem to get them to like me. Usually its because i'm trying to be friendly with the CSs or building wonders (something like that :L )

anyway; so if someone could tell me what to do, i'll be really grateful! :)

To make friends you have to earn positive diplomat points with them. When you hover over a Civs Names in the Diplomatic screen, it shows the positive and negative views they have with you.

Here are a few other things d u can actively do

- Try to avoid building cities very close to the Civ u are trying to establish a friendship with.
- Do a trade with them but make it so you over compensate. This could mean that you give them more in the trade deal than you will receive, or just give them something for free.
- Open embassies in each others city.
- Share open borders.
- Denounce the people that they have denounced.
- Go to war with the same people they warred.
- have a spy in someone's capital and once intrigue is discovered, share it with a Civ.

Once a few pos. modifiers stack up they will possibly approach you, or you can go to them every once in awhile and ask to be friends with them.

I hope this information helps you.

People who share the same religion have good diplomatic bonus in the early game (less later). So if you have founded a religion, send missionaries to convert your neighbors. Eventually you'll be able to befriend them easier (and you are not forced to wait until they come to you to get the DoF).

However, civilizations who also founded a religion really dislike when you send your missionaries in their cities.

5gpt offer usually does it. If not, give 5gpt again 10 turns later. I've never had anyone who had 1 dark red modifier or less not friend me after doing that. Of course, they might let the friendship expire as soon as you stop paying them, but because friendship, like denouncements, chain, it's good to buy friendships of civs everyone likes to get that chain rolling quicker. It also builds loyalty, so if you can get a DoF going with certain civs, they'll stay your friends for a long time even when you stop paying.

Friendships offer lump sum trading, which should more than make up for your 5gpt for your first few friends. Sometimes certain civs are very standoffish at first (or forever), and you don't have other means handy, so a little encouragement is needed.

Open borders does NOT affect friendship. The embassy is also such a tiny diplomatic modifier that it will not sway a lot of civs by itself.

This does not scale with time, so by the time ideologies divide up the world, if you need more friends for RAs, you really should be paying everyone who doesn't share an ideology with you 10gpt.

I will most often give in to the AI's request for resources/gpt, that will give you a good relationship right off the bat, and they are much less likely to DoW you because they are getting something from you every turn.

Just do as little as you can to annoy them. Don't settle close, if they bug your city states it is often better to lose 20 influence if you sense a timing attack from them.

Terrain features can also factor into play - I was once on a peninsula with France on the other side, but there was a 2 hex wide isthmus that they never bothered to attack (and probably wouldn't have been successful if they tried), and because of this they defaulted to friendship. Use geography and city placement to keep yourself from the AI's prioritized cities to capture.

-Toss some extra luxury resources if you can
-Try not to expand too close (like mother Russia or Hiawatha)
-DoW against a common foe
-Denouncing same leaders
-Same policies (Freedom/Order/Autocracy)

Top Bottom